XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first XRL had a 140 Metzeler enduro on it. No problems with it. I got close to 8000 miles out of it, twice the mileage I get with a D606...at twice the price though. I put another set on a couple years back but I usually like to run knobbies. The Metzelers work well in most terrain except mud. They suck in mud...

I usually run a 130 D606. I have had zero problems with any of them. The only thing I don't like about D606's...the front tires always wear real funny so I've been a cheap skate and have been running Michelin T-63's up front.
  3. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 04 needs some work which will entail tearing it apart and I assume it will take awhile to get it back on the road(based on my slow ass). So, I had been looking for something different to buy and ride while the 04 was in pieces. I came home with this a few weeks back...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey, It's different! It's an 08 with 2,717 miles. :D

It had been rode hard and put away wet...quite a bit of mud all over it!

Came with what looks like a TCI Borrego luggage rack, Cortech bag on the rack, D606's F&R, FMF Q4 slip-on, Skid plate(don't know which brand), Pro Taper 1" risers, Pro Taper CR-high bend bars and Moose bark busters.
    The carb has a dyno-jet kit installed. I took it apart to see what had actually been done. It had a 50s pilot jet and a 165 main jet and the DJ needle with the clip in the third slot. The slide had not been drilled so I did that and while I was in there I replaced the needle with the stocker and a washer.
    I bought that Acerbis 5.8 tank and installed it(what a bitch!) and moved the IMS pegs over from my 04. I have the RSW fork brace off the 04 and intend to install it on the 08 but wanted to see the difference in handling without running one. It was on the 04 when I bought it.
    My first tank of gas resulted in 37.4 mpg's. Definitely not running lean! It has an ever so slight bog on acceleration form say 30 mph up. I'm going to replace the jets with a 58/160 combo and see if I can get a few more mpg's out of it. I'm hoping to at least get it up to what the 04 was getting, ~44 mpg.
  4. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bar risers on the new bike are...

A: too short and...
    B: hit the new tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far I've just been dealing with it but it is nice to be able to use the whole range of motion.

The 04 had a 3" RSW racing triple clamp(dropped for a Kouba lowering link) and the stock cables work fine. I'd just switch out triple clamps but the RSW risers are for a 7/8" bar, not the 1 1/8" bar I have now.

What I'm thinking I want are the Rox 3 1/2" risers. So...

Is anyone running the 3 1/2" risers on a stock bike, stock cables, no lowering link. Do the stock cables work with the 3 1/2" riser?

If they don't reach, I can probably make due with the 2" risers for the time being as I'd rather deal with a little slouching then replacing all the cables at this time.

5. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I did the 3.5" rise. I also added ATV high bend bars. The results.....new cables +3" and +4" to keep things clean. Motion pro has the clutch and choke cables at +3". I went with +4" Barnes for the throttle cables.

I did not try with the Rox and a regular bend bar.
  6. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moose fat bar adaptor, risers, tallest 50mm & Protaper Pastrana FMX/ATV High bars. Stock cables, maybe a little rerouting & works great.
  7. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    I know what you meant Fritz,i was just kidding.........and no i only ride the Honda,,i can`t afford BMW and Harleys........maybe someday when i grow up:lol3

My grammar and spelling is supposed to suck,,i was a mechanic for 25 years and sniffed alot of chemicals:wink:

B
  8. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the CR-high bend bars, stock triple clamp. What 3 1/2" riser did you go with?

Just an FYI...got off the phone with Motion Pro. They have 3" longer push, pull(throttle) and clutch cables in stock(not in their cataloge yet) for the XRL. They don't have a 3" replacement for the choke yet...

Prices given to me...

Pull cable =28.19
    Push cable =27.23
    Clutch cable=15.99
    Choke cable=35.00(custom build)

Who is this "Barnes" you speak of? Got a link?
  9. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:

wtf.............:lol3

B
  10. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:

I did Rox rizers. They are the only ones that I will use. The Barnes cables are spendy. It cost me $40/cable. Those prices seem reasonable. I bought my bcables 8 months ago and MP said that they were going to make the choke cable a standard....I gues they are a bit slow.

I miss typed. Barnett. http://www.barnettclutches.com/ They are local to me. If you order it will be a special order. Yes they do cables also.
  11. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, me too, WTF? I only counted one comma. Must be a Hillbilly thing???
  12. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:

:lol3

B
  13. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    shut your mouth!
  14. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Big Gun slip-on on my xrl, just wondering how much noticeable benefit I'll get from adding an aftermarket header to go with it? I really don't want to lose any of the awesome torque I have now, but wouldn't mind a little more power for higher speed highway cruising at my 5000 to 8000+ft of elevation. In my experience with other bikes, you almost always lose some low end to gain up top with aftermarket exhausts. Just wondering how the xrl is affected, and if its worth doing?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback given :thumb
  15. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:

I have the White Bros. E3 system, header and muffler. The low end does not seem to be affected by this combination.
    If highway cruse seems sluggish, you may be jetted too rich for your altitude. For 5000 to 8000 feet you should be at 48 pilot and 145 to 147 main. Check with a dealer at your altitude.
  16. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you check on rswracing.com you will find 1 1/8 replacement bar risers. I just priced them because I was looking for a replacement. They are $52 that includes shipping. If you use the stock rise handlebars the stock thorthol cables will work. But you will need the plus 3 inch motion pro clutch cable.If you go with atv bars or kawasaki high bend bars you will need the longer thorthol cables also. Found you a link. http://rswracing.com/barmounts.htm
  17. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    I've got FMF powerbomb header and the Q4 exhaust. When I put the OEM exhaust and header back on it runs rough, mainly cause I need to rejet, but the reason I need to rejet is because of the restricted flow...

I'm happy with my FMF stuff and I'm going to put it back on the first chance I get (which is why I didn't bother changing my jets :deal

I never did a dyno but swapping from aftermarket to OEM was VERY noticeable to me in the power, response and tone of the bike.

-Barron
  18. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have no problem with those prices. Just posted them for others to see.
    I'm just trying to go as tall as possible without having to change the cables too. I can live with a smaller lift. I could probably live with the 1" lift I have now if it didn't hit the tank. I don't do much serious off road but I do like to be able to stand up now and then.

Thanks for the replies/help Bob! :freaky
  19. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure why all the fuss over longer cables when raising bars but here is mine with stock cables.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link.
    Now I see why I couldn't find these listed separately on their site. I always went straight to the XRL page.
    I may just swap the triple clamps out as I'm also thinking about swapping new springs for the old ones and putting new stiffer ones on the 08. It would be the cheaper route and could be done all at once.

What size are you looking for? I may have a 3" x 7/8" up for sale...:D

Thanks Ben!