Tiger 800 XC oil....

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by burmbuster, Sep 24, 2012.

1. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whatcha using? Got out of the break in stage and will not wait until 6k miles to change it. The Castrol stuff the dealer uses is hard to come by around here other than from the dealer.
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  3. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you specified XC. The Tiger 800 can use many oils, but the XC requires Castrol purchased from the dealer.
  4. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    I buy the Castrol at Oreilly's. I change it every 3000 miles. I'm at 11,600 miles & it gets changed at the 12,000 mile service. After that I'll start using something else because I'm going to maintain my bike myself. I like Silkolene but I have to order it.
  5. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gee, Tedder, your an absolute genius. I'm glad you pointed out that the model of the Tiger that I have makes all the difference. I will be sure to send my threads to you first so you can review them before I post them. Then again, where you live explains quite a bit.
    Ever heard of Motul, Silkolene, Bel-Ray, Lucas? That's right genius. There are other brands that meet the OEM requirements other than Castrol. It was a simple question that only needed a simple answer. Just curious what brand other Tiger owners use if different from Castrol.
    Oh, but wait. You don't even own a Tiger so what could you possibly bring to this conversation that would carry any weight? Nada. :ken
  6. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Rob. I will look there. The filters shipped so I will call you when they come in.

Brad
  7. oktulsa17

oktulsa17 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a @ss. Tedder tries gives a honest answer to a question you asked and you go off on him. If you don't want feedback, why bother asking?

8. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oil specifications and grades clearly stated in Owners Manual.
    As long as oil comply with mentioned grade and standard - any brand will do.

Fortunately on this side of pond Castrol available on every corner and I was using it anyway on my other bikes...It's no better or worse than majority of quality oils of that grade.
    ferals5 likes this.
  9. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    My dealer told me he has seen some incomplete break ins (rings not seated) on the Speed Triples following the manufacturer's recommendation to switch to full synthetic at the first change. He said to continue using semi synthetic until the second change. He also said that Triumph switched to Castrol only because of the supply problems they had with Mobil1. Mobil 1 is certainly a good choice and easier to find. Bel Ray, AMS OIl, etc. are usually as hard to come by as the specific Castrol full synthetic that Triumph recommends.
  10. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    This is the correct answer.

FWIW, I have been using Castrol Power RS 10W50 synthetic.
  11. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found the castol performance 1 4t stuff at advance auto, no one else had what the book called for. Not saying that is the only oil out there. They had it on a side shelf for motorcycles
  12. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Spend more time around here before you get overly butthurt. Oil threads are a dime a dozen.

I was talking about the "baby tiger" before it was ever announced, I've hooliganed an 800 with barely 50 miles on it, I've made oil mistakes on other bikes.
  13. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no relation whatsoever between using mineral, synth of half-synth oil and unsuccessful break in - not technically nor "scientifically".
    I ran in bikes new and after DYI top end rebuild and never seen issue using full synth 10w50 (as it is cheap from Hein Gericke).
    But I have seen how bad is performance (life-wise) of mineral oil comparing to synthetic.
    Tiger motor is not in any way special in terms of top-end design. Therefore I think dealer seen cases of incorrect break in and related it with oil type. I'd argue his statement not correct.
  14. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    He was being a smartass. He was not giving an honest answer.
    Troll 55 likes this.
  15. LBJM

LBJM n00b

Oddometer:
    + 1 :wink:
  16. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Amsoil
    pfred likes this.
  17. dhula

dhula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can I use Castrol purchased from a auto shop in a T800
  18. fbj913

Oddometer:
    If you dont know the answer to this question, you shouldn't be buying oil at all. Sorry, but that's the cold hard truth.
  19. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    One of these days the rest of us will chip in to purchase you a functioning sense of humor.:deal

:hide
    diabolik37 and George Hanson like this.
  20. fbj913

Oddometer:
    Hey you never know. The answer could be a real one. I'v got a great sense of humor. A smiley or something behind it would help I suppose. Or it could be a real question. Oh well, either way... :D