DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, I thought you meant from the right when you look at the bike. My bad.

There are no pipes on RHS. E.g. you must have really "tank leak" :hmmmmm

Still, I would prefer brass welding to any epoxy solutions. Purely for vibrations reasons. I trust this is excellent product, but I would be unrest unless it welded. You know - paranoia :lol3
  2. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, and water drain hose actually SUPPOSED to take some condensation out. Pay no attention to it.
  3. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    A few days ago, you said we were alike.....I know exactly what you mean.

Been searching the net this morning for fuel tank repair places locally. Nothing certain yet but I'll make a few phone calls first.

The thing I'm glad about in all of this is that the 43 has NO problems with tank painting. Having ALL the bodywork, even the tank, be attached plastic is BRILLIANT and should be used more. No precious paint to protect.

Once can even change the look of the bike just by changing "clothes"...kinda like.....wait for it.....a doll :lol3
  4. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Speaking of plastics (previous post), I'm wondering about paint and changing.

The very first photos I saw of a DR800 was the red (91, I think) paint with the long white and silver stripes along the side (not the up-and-down zig-zag pattern but the longitudinal ones). Fell in lust with that photo

I want to change my 43 to the red with stripes pattern.

http://www.drbig.info/forum/gallery/image.php?mode=medium&album_id=1&image_id=43

So............

There is an Italian guy selling sticker "kits" on ebay that will apply the stripes that I want.

Anyone have any experience with this product. I've tried putting poor quality stickers over curved surfaces before and ended up trashing the project due to folds that would not lie flat etc.

The other option is to buy used plastic but (as alway for me) it's only available in europe (particularly Germany). Some sellers will not ship to the USA so, I'm wondering if anyone on your side of the Atlantic would accept local shipping and then reroute the package(s) to me in the States. I would of course pay for extra shipping expenses and your time to handle all the stuff.

???
  5. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    .....and YES, Rob,.......I'm being a needy wanker today...

sorry.
  6. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well its a bit like this , braise it up and use sealer as well to stop it rusting where the heat was applied, allso the sealer is non pouros and covers all the tank inside and covers those little rust marks that are inside the tank and are growing bigger every day .
    sealer being what it is non pouros keeps out the air from rust and stops it going further.
    When useing sealer blow your fuel lines with compressed air the ones inside the tank if it has them like sr/41 to keep them from blocking with sealer as it dries.
  7. bushybutt

bushybutt Bushybutt

Oddometer:
    Hi Ladder,
    The water drain hose is to drain water (or spilt petrol) away from under your gas cap. Open the cap and on the left at 9 o clock is a hole.
    Inside the tank your should be able to see the drain hose that connects to said hole.
    My "drain hose" is routed in behind the fuel cock and fuel pump past the back of the motor between the swingarm and shock and exits inside the frame rail by the right footpeg. I will try and scan the page out of my service manual.
    I hope this is of some help to you.
    Cheers
    Bryn
  8. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bryn,

I have the service manual so you don't have to scan anything.

It shows how the hose is routed....I just didn't know where it began or what it was supposed to drain. I found the hold under the fuel cap....now it makes sense.
  9. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well today I took my nephew for a ride up into some high country, Dark corner and allso Blackbutt Mountain and abouts.
    The weather has been very cold with sleet and drizzle and a bit windy, allmost some snow today but not quite, the tracks were very slippery in parts and all the streams are flowing well.
    Anyway I was riding along and in a few places noticed that 4wd,s had made a mess of things in the muddy sections tearing the crap out everything as usual.
    I slowed down to about only 15kph and thought I will take a wide line when this happened.
    [​IMG]
  10. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    I hate when that happens.
  11. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    It stoped dead but I didn,t straight over the bars a beautifull forward rolling summersault no damage to me or the bike the bike just stood there buy itself and I think laughing its guts at me :lol3.
    [​IMG]
  12. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    It took 2 of us to lift it out, the suction of the mud really had a hold on it.
    [​IMG]
    Kovac77 likes this.
  13. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had a good day with no dust, and only once the sun came out just for a minute so I took this pic at Blackbutt fire trail, cheers.
    [​IMG]
  14. Tony T

Tony T Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess you would have struggled to get it out on your own, eh?
    Jeez, I hate mud and haven't ridden in any serious mud since about 1989........ that'a why I moved to Alice Springs.... :lol3
    I remember riding across what I thought was going to be a big, flat grassy area near Mt. Gambier years ago. It turned out to be a swamp with waist-deep water and matted grass on top! :huh
    It took me about half an hour to get the old girl out............... :rolleyes
  15. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Rob,

Now you know what my Avitar is all about.

That is one seriously deep strange hole in the middle of a road. I'd mark it on the GPS and come back in spring to dig for gold.

I was, however, rather disappointed not to see a photo of yourself getting intimate with the local geology and flora. Glad you didn't get hurt....... you old guys have to be careful yaknow:evil
  16. bushybutt

bushybutt Bushybutt

Oddometer:
    :evil

And not a KTM in site eh !!:lol3
  17. Ladder106

Oddometer:

Oooooooooooooooooo.....busted !:clap
  18. the_sad_punk

the_sad_punk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jaysus Rob lol, that could have been so much worse of you were carrying more speed:eek1
  19. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Well... I put the new/old CDI in it but haven't ridden it yet :huh. In fact, I haven't ridden much since the crash at all. Mrs Ztaj and I did go for a wee pootle and she actually got away on me a couple of times on some gravel/shingle on her 350 :eek1
    When I did start it there didn't seem to be any change in the symptoms, so I will take it to a professional.:cry
    BTW... nice bit of parking :evil
  20. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Rob's pic brings back memories of great luck in 1990. It's been year 1 after the opening of the iron curtain and my first trip into the former DDR (German Democratic Republic). At that time it was still a seperate country, our reunion happened some months later. But back to the story:
    At Zschopau, were MZs were built a world-championship enduro took place. My friend on an XT 500 and me on the Triumph Tiger Trail payed for the camping-ground and set off to find our place on that huge meadow. At that time, bikes like ours where no common sight there and many people showed us with their hand to twist the grip. And so we did. Rear-wheels spinning and slip-sliding left-right-left-right we averaged something near 100 km/h on the grass 'til we reached our 'claimed' place. Getting off the bikes we looked back to the spectators. At that moment a 50 cc Simson Moped took nearly the same route with something like 50 km/h. He was just a bit sideways from our track. Suddenly his bike got stuck in the mud deep down to it's front axle, sending the poor guy over the bars. I think, if my Tiger had 'found' this puddle I would have flown some 20 meters, fast as I was ... and my friend would have been flying by my side ... we had been very lucky ...
    Kind regards, Bambi ... one of my 'tallest' motorcycle-stories