Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Perry works for me, I usually eat breakfast in Somerset around 9 and then head to the trail head about 10...so anyone who wants to hit the dirt Sunday morning is welcome to join me.
  2. motodirtlover

motodirtlover Motodirtlover

Oddometer:
    I'm out this weekend guys. I have to do some family crap. I'll be at the dual sport next weekend though...
  3. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    I'll most likely truck the KTm down for a bit of riding, where you planning on having breakfast?
  4. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Little Phil's on the square, good breakfasts...but I heard they're under new management so I'm not sure if they're still open on Sunday mornings. If they're not Subway right across the square might have to do.
  5. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the condolences. It all started when my mom passed from a long battle with ALS (Lou Gehrigs). Although it paralyzed her from the waist down, everything seemed to be ok, she lasted more that 2x what the docs said she would. One night she has trouble breathing and ends up in the ER. over the next 48 hours it was all downhill. Next thing we knew, ICU, Hospice, then gone.

My mom and I had an "agreement" based on me not dying on my motorcycle. I never knew my grandfather (her father) because he was killed in a head on collision while riding his motorcycle home from work late one night. How many mom's do you know lost there fathers to a motorcycle death would allow their son to ride them and not only that, go with them to the races? She quit coming to the flat track races after she saw a guy go over the guardrail and my friends KTM500 cartwheel over the front of my CanAm 560 nearly taking my head off.

After watching what she went through, I'd gladly die instantly on the moto than how she did.

Tara's death was needless, it kind of set me off even more than the others in between, she was barely 30, just a kid, spent 2 days on life support before finally bleeding out. Many years ago a drunk took my cousin when she was little when he crashed into my Uncle Calvin's car. Then at my moms calling hours a woman came up to me and said something along the lines of "you don't know me, but I was the child in the car with your uncle when we were hit by a drunk that killed my mother". I always remembered those 2 crashes because 2 brothers both lost someone too a drunk driver.

I don't condemn people for drinking, it's when they go one too far.

Anyhow, again, thanks
  6. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

Some of the hills we did last week there was no real way to run at them, they were plugged up with guys rolling back down or staring up in fear.

If you are going to the Burr, let me know, maybe pool down there. If I ride the 640 (if I get new tires), I'll honk the horn every time you sit down :evil
  7. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    When you make it to Marlinton, there's an ADV friendly BBQ joint run by a retired couple who make a great pulled pork sandwich. Bull and Bear Restaurant, it's on 219 just south of town. Lenny and Carol are good people.

He's only open Thursday - Saturday from 5-8PM. It's just a retirement gig for them, but the food is great and the company even better.

Avoid the Greenbrier Grille. The view is pretty, but the food is mediocre and service is worse.
  8. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

by all means...the more the merrier...besides, it sounds like we lost indypup to a dirt ride in Perry
  9. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

I've heard really good things about 50, which will take you most of the way to DC.
  10. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    If thats us 50, it's nothing special between parkersburg and clarksburg. Or even to Athens or beyond west. Rolled along that road many times. Good conditions, just not fun.
  11. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Nope, I said I'd join you and I will. ;) I'll get my dirt fix at the Baby Burr ride. :D
  12. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Above the Monongahela, 50 has some awesome twisties, but there are a lot of places where it's not anything spectacular.
  13. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

as I said, I've HEARD good things about that road....and looking at it on google maps, it looks like its pretty twisty east of Clarksburg til Winchester, VA

on an unrelated note, theres a town called Gormania in Maryland along that road...just thought that was amusing
  14. Solace

Solace Long timer

Oddometer:
    US50 from Parkersburg to Clarksburg is 4-lane divided. I think of it as "interstate 50" and use it to make quick time if needed. East of Grafton over to, say, the VA broder is about 100 miles of great riding. Plenty of mountains to traverse and lots of fun. Gormania has a lot of railroad history and is interesting to see. Takes you back 100 years to roll through there.

Later,
    M
  15. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Anyone want to ride dirt Saturday? Maybe Tar Hollow stuff? KLR friendly or not... :evil

(Luke what about Hidden Spring Ranch? Want to use your get in for free card? :wink:)
  16. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    So, I broke down and bought a real GPS....sorta...

Garmin Dakota 10, waterproof, somewhat easy to use, and cheap. I spend under $170 for the GPS, a RAM mount, and a cradle. I need to figure out thow to load maps and routes to it now... It's a bit smallish, but not too hard to see...

[​IMG]
  17. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming it connects via a USB cable to your computer and you can use BaseCamp to load stuff. Does it come with map updates?
  18. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    Yes and yes, I installed Basecamp already, but I have never used it, so I need to poke around it some.
  19. McTacticool

McTacticool Importer/Exporter

Oddometer:
    I have been kicking around getting a 60csx. Haven't looked into the Dakota, but the price looks decent.
    Let me know what ya think of it.
  20. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:

I'm going to give it a test run tomorrow I think. I read reviews on about every GPS out there and decided for the limited amount I would use it, this one provided the best bang for the buck.