1979 Suzuki GS750L Build

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by awaffa2003, Feb 19, 2013.

1. awaffa2003

awaffa2003 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all, first inline 4 project on my hands here. Picked up a 79 GS750L the other day and I've already got a few things kicked off for it. Major plans include a newer front end and swingarm, but for now, I just need some seals. I started it for about ten minutes until i was it slowly dripping oil underneath. Couldnt tell were it was coming from and since I can't clean it...I think I may just go for a gasket set. Who has this and has it cheap? I saw some sets for $100 on fleabay but I thought I'd ask first ;)

Picked up a 97 Honda CBR frame yesterday for the swingarm and although I don't too much like the idea of swapping makes like that, the price was right. They guy threw in a new Penske shock, the rims, and a Suzuki tank that he was sitting on so I made out pretty good. Although the tank is period correct, it's HUGE on the 750 and I thought the original tank was big. I may just make it work though and pound in and fill some dents to allow for full lock of the triple tree. Anyway I think I'll need the Suzuki swingarm out to measure and see if the CBR one will fit because I can't get a measurement straight across...at least I couldn't in the cold...i'll have more patience once I fill up my propane tank.

I really can't call this a resto-mod because I'm really going for the look of the 750E or maybe even more Wes Cooley-esque, we'll see.
  2. kruzuki

kruzuki Gear in the Machine

Oddometer:
    The 'L' models had a smaller gas tank than the standard model as well a different seat. The frames may even have been slightly different. I believe some of the 'L' model had different forks and wheel sizes vs the standard models.

I've always thought a bar-hopper job on a GS-L series bike would look cool.
    Extend the forks a bit, chop off the rear, spoke wheels and those 4 exhaust pipes across the front.
  3. Pigford

Pigford British

Oddometer:
    Fit a newer Suzook front end - lots of Suzook front ends are interchangeable, unlike many others :clap

I think older Slingshot GSXR & Bandit 600/1200 swingarms slot in too ?

I just picked up this 1977 project........

[​IMG]
  4. awaffa2003

awaffa2003 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's beautiful man! I've been looking for newer GSXR parts but they are few and far in between in my neck of the woods. If it's being parted out, I would bet that it was the front end that took the hit and your fork tubes are bent so everything else gets separated and sold off. I feel like it's going to cost me to gather all I need to swap that front end out. Still no luck on a GASKET SET....anybody...
  5. cheap bastard

cheap bastard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    C'mon, H.. Post a pic or two of that cheap bad boy. Your phone pics are so small. I'll be over in the two days. Maybe the weather will help out and the trip can be on two wheels. :D
  6. awaffa2003

awaffa2003 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

forgot how to post pics for a bit there!
  7. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    Possibly some motivation: my 1979 GS750. Fantastic bike; I actually just got it back out after not riding for the last 4 weeks due to the bitter cold. Pardon my lack of ATGATT; I've since gotten more proper gear. Check out theGSresources.com; it's a great group with tons of information.

[​IMG]