Nikon D800

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by NikonsAndVStroms, Feb 7, 2012.

1. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
  2. green hell

green hell yawning or snarling

Oddometer:
    yeah, i was just thinking i had 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket.

:lol3

i could get a nice used bike for that and keep taking shitty pictures with my canon.
  3. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    People are asking for video more and more at events so I might actually need to get this if I start doing more photos VS design in my business. The big question is when will I hit that threshold to justify getting it. That sounds like a good rationalization right? :lol3

But then on top of that I need the Nikkor 85 F1.8, 16-35 F4, Tokina 70-200 F4 (if it's sharp as the F2.8 lenses are too heavy), and I'm really interested in the 24-70 F2.8 Tamron, I love my 28-75 for its sharpness so if it has that it's going on the list because the AF motor will be MUCH faster than the current one and that's my only issue with it.
  4. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    holicrap...That kind of intimacy is usually enjoyed in a bedroom!

Great exposures. way way better than the demo shots I saw of the Fuji x1pro. I imagine the dynamic range of that thing is stellar to not blow out the detail on those leaves.
  5. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seriously, do you print urban mural sized photos? What use do you possibly have for a 36mp image? :lol3

The dynamic range is impressive, I must say. :thumb
  6. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to budget for the new computer you'll need to process the files . . .
  7. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Yikes, I have all the Canon lenses and have stuck with them despite how awesome the D3s is because Canon does video better than Nikon. But this is really a sweet video camera. Check this out:

<object width="400" height="225"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=36305675&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=36305675&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/36305675">Joy Ride</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/sandroinc">Sandro</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  8. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    :lol3

The laptop doesn't stand a chance against those photos, but the workstation should (hopefully). 1 step down from top of the line in the spring of 2010 with 12GB of RAM and a Quadro video card which Photoshop is optimized for.
  9. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Baldy come over to the dark side, and leave those white lenses behind :evil
  10. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna rent a 1Dx and D4 to compare first, 'cus I need a high-speed sports camera. Both should be great at video.

But I also shoot for huge prints on the walls and the res of the D800 is nice for that. Plus being able to do such great video in a smaller form-factor.

But maybe Canon is ready to announce the 5D MKIII?
  11. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    I'm curious as to what Canon will bring out next, I bet it will have the resolution but I'm not sure about the video capabilities. The reason I say that is Canon (and to a lesser extent Nikon) like handicapping their cameras so for that 1 important feature you might need you'll have to move up a step or 2 and pay a good bit more. And Canon has the EOS based video camera coming out soon so they probably want people to move to that from the 5D.

The only company I can think of who really bucked that trend is Olympus where my E-620 has nearly as much customization as my D700. But you obviously know 4/3's poor showing in the market....which is kinda sad as a lot of the features that set them apart (live view, shake based dust reduction, rotating LCD, etc.) have been adopted by many of the big players years later.
  12. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This might be a related question. I want to upgrade from my Canon S90 for outdoor shots here in Colorado. It doesn't make sense to work as hard as I do to get into the back country and only have a point and shoot to capture the experience. Not that the S90 isn't a great camera.
    Given my chronic poverty, I have about 500.00 to spend on a new or used camera. So far, the Nikon D40 is looking pretty good and new, used, and refurbished models abound. I understand that I'll need AF-S lenses for this baby. I see a number of lightly used D40's with one or two lenses on CL for under 500.00.
    Thoughts?
  13. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    The D40 is a lightweight body with an excellent image sensor.

Given your budget, I would get the D40, and probably a 35mm f/1.8 lens, which will be FAR sharper than any kit lens you'll find bundled with the camera.
  14. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    What do you find lacking about the S90 - do you want to shoot wider, longer, with narrower depth of field?

Reason I ask is that the lens is the most important part of the equation. The S90 has the equivalent field of view of a 28-105 lens in 35mm terms.

The kit lens on most entry level DSLR bodies is an 18-55, which equates to 28-90. They are also darker (larger aperture number = smaller opening). It isn't really much of an 'upgrade'.

The benefit of a DLSR is the ability to change lenses. Unfortunately, they aren't free. :lol3 A good wide-angle or telephoto lens is going to run ~300. You want to shoot at night? Add in a tripod. Some portraits of the wife or kids or whatever? A fast prime is another couple hundred. Pretty soon you have a couple thousand dollars in the desk drawer.

That isn't to say it isn't worth it, I love taking photos. Just wise to set out with a goal (landscapes, wildlife, portraits) and be honest about the gear you need to do that.

The S90 is very capable. You may find that a tripod, panorama stitching, and good RAW-editing software get you what you need.
  15. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    While it is a little bigger the D50 has better AF and for an all plastic body it is pretty tough....and it should be about the same price.

I'd also look at the Olympus E-420...I'm headed out now but will do a full write up on both later on tonight.
  16. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The lens, and the CCD. The S90 shoots at amazingly low light levels. I've had many generations of P&S cameras and this one is a revelation.
    I'm after at least a 200mm for landscapes.
  17. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Don't get the D40 unless you are willing to invest in some good (fast) glass then. The S90 lens is much faster than the D40 kit lens and so for the same light level you'll be ~1-2 stops higher ISO on it and I don't trust that sensor above ISO 800 and even then you need really good light.
  18. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A couple months ago I bought a factory refurb'd D3000 (D40's 10mp replacement) for $300 from Adorama. It's the second Nikon refurb body I've bought from them. Beats buying used, IMHO. No complaints.
  19. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    This looks like the best deal:

http://www.adorama.com/INKD5000RA.html

D5000 so you get a sensor a generation newer. The issue is in the lenses....a decent one is going to run 300ish no matter what body you buy.
  20. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    I'm not a Nikon guy. What is the decent consumer Nikon telephoto these days, the 70-300VR? They have a 55-200VR or something as well, right?

The Olympus 2X crop factor means you get more reach for your weight, though, again, I'm not sure what the relevant lenses would be. N&V, that's you.

I can say that the Pentax K-x or K-r with the DA L 55-300 would solve your telephoto needs. Not sure how close to $500 that would be, but the 55-300 is a nice lens for the money. I use it with great success on my K200D. Looks like the K-r, 18-55, & 55-300 kit is $769 new, so you'd probably get close going used.