nolan n104 b4 comm unit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by LIVSTROM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. LIVSTROM

LIVSTROM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking of pulling the trigger on this anyone have it and would like to offer an opinion?
  2. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have it but haven't used the phone or comm part of it, just music from my iphone and the FM radio.
    It works good for those, though the FM antenna is a little weak.
  3. CPORet

CPORet I Am Kirok! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not bad. Nice thing is that it's designed for the helmet, so it doesn't look like an add-on. I guess on
    the down-side it would be that if you crank the volume up all the way, you get distortion. I wear ear plugs,
    so in order to hear anything I've got it vol all the way up. The UClear HBC 100 in my Nolan N103 is better
    at high volume, but sucks for voice comms.

I haven't played with the FM functions much, but you do get decent reception in strong radio areas (cities).
    Just be careful when you install it - I somehow managed to snap half of the antenna off. I still get reception,
    but since I don't listen to broadcast radio anymore, I'm debating whether or not to get it fixed.

My only complaints with the B4 are that the battery doesn't seem to last very long, and the controls for it
    are hard to figure out at first. Not intuitive at all.

I can't really say how well it works for voice calls via phone or bike to bike. Haven't gotten any calls on it,
    nor have I really made any. Seems to work just fine.

Would I buy another - debatable. Am I happy with this one? Yeah.
  4. heymaker8705

heymaker8705 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have been contemplating getting a modular helmet to replace my current HJC-CL15. I would like to get a Nolan N104 if it fits right. I love my UClear HBC 100 and was worried about having to switch to the B4 if I get the Nolan. Any more information comparing the two would be much appreciated! :ear
  5. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Nolan 104 helmet, it's a great lid.
    I don't use the Nolan comm unit, mounted my Sena on mine.
    Double sided 3M outdoor tape, 20,000 miles and still holding.
  6. LIVSTROM

Oddometer:
    what sena did u mount I like the SMH 10 but was told by them it would not fit the 104. Also I have a Iphone 4 not the the 4S if I link my Ipod to the B4 can I skip and pause songs on the B4.
  7. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the SMH10 mounted on the Nolan 104, the set up has worked find, a wired mic would work better than the standard mic boom.
  8. LIVSTROM

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info does the sena play a iphone pause play skip?
  9. CPORet

Oddometer:
    The UClear problem I have is that I mounted the speakers in the Nolan cutouts, and that tends to muffle the mics a
    little. Of the few calls I've had, people have said that I sounded like I was sitting in a coffee can inside of a toilet bowl.
    I'd have to yell to be heard. That's why I didn't get another UClear for the N104.

I had heard that the Nolan system for the N103 was pretty crappy, and was almost twice the price of the UClear. When
    I picked up my N104, I kind of figured that Nolan would have ironed out any previous problems and the B4 would be a
    better system. It's really not bad. Since it was designed for the N104, it fits perfectly. Again, my only real complaint is
    that with earplugs in, and the sound all the way up (I wish this system went to 11), you get some distortion with music.
    I haven't used the FM radio yet, (we have crappy radio stations here) so I can't comment on that.

Can't say if the B4 is better or not for calls. Nobody calls me. But, honestly, I really didn't buy either system for phone
    calls. I wanted to be able to get GPS directions in my helmet. Music was 2nd, and vox calls 3rd.

Overall, I'm happy with the B4. And the UClear to be honest. Main thing is the the N104 is a real good helmet.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can fit a UClear system in the N104 - I did with my N103. You aren't tied to the B4 just because you have a N104.
  10. CPORet

Oddometer:
    I have an iPhone 4 as well. You can use the B4 to play, pause and skip. The problem is, that the controls on the B4
    are a bit goofy. It takes you a few times to get the hang of it.

I have my phone mounted on a Ram X-Grip located just off my left mirror, so I can easily reach it. I use the phone
    to play, pause or skip; even with leather gloves on. It's just easier for me that way.
  11. LIVSTROM

Oddometer:
    thanks again this is becoming a real pain in the ass descion!