Just Cruising

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by DirtyDR, Jan 12, 2013.

1. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few shots from running around yesterday. -8f in the morning and then it warmed up to 27f. -14f this morning and we have probably already hit our high of 4f for today, tomorrow they are saying it is going to get cold.

Breakfast stop in the morning.

[​IMG]

A stop at the park for a couple of pictures, nothing fancy. The dark stripe is the middle of the 2 lane road that runs between those 2 fences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. PetrB

PetrB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    -14F? It wildest hellish cold, for example!))
  3. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lovely shots but no jealousy here. Summer in NZ is nice and the coldest place I experience in the winter is the fridge freezer. Rode out of Mesa Verde in a blizzard one October. Keep enjoying and happy riding.:D
  4. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have already been riding in -20F a few times this year and they are saying tomorrow and the next few days are going to be really cold so that means -20F or colder. You know it is cold when the forecast high temerature is 7F.

The coldest I have been riding on the bikes is about -30F but I have snowmobiled in Grand Lake at almost -40F in the past. They say the coldest recorded in Colorado was in February, 1985 in Maybell at -61F.
  5. PetrB

PetrB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's awful! In same weather I going out from home just to saw a firewood for the oven and for a walk little with my dog. I admire to your frost-protective-ability.

Do you use any special equipment to ride on a such strong coldness?
  6. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the Winter I just wear a pair of Fila ski pants over my blue jeans and I wear a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket over a long sleeve T shirt when riding to work or just running errands. When it gets really cold, below zero, I have a pair of Reima ski bibs that I wear instead of the Fila bibs, the Reima bibs are too warm and I will sweat if it is above zero Farenheit.

For a helmet I use a Ski Doo BV2S snowmobile helmet without the electric visor. The best cold weather helmet I have ever worn.
    http://www.skidoooutlet.com/store/pc/Ski-Doo-2013-BV2S-Electric-SE-Helmet-Black-205p10662.htm
    [​IMG]

I have several pairs of warm gloves but the best seem to be a pair of Ski Doo snowmobile gloves.

If I am going for a long ride, over 100 miles, I will usually put on a pair of long underwear and carry a couple of pairs of gloves with the hand warmers in a spare pair in the sidecar to keep them warm so all I have to do is switch gloves and they are pre warmed. http://www.warmers.com/grabber-hand-warmers-1/
  7. PetrB

PetrB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah)) Like a spacemen)

We've got all the easier. I think, that I will buy for myself a polar oil drillers suit, or a set of winter military clothing. To a hands I now clothing three-fingered winter military mittens, and for foots I going to buy a fishing insulated boots.

My wife uses an army sheepskin coat - it's a good thing, but it does not protect from the wind. But it can be clothed over the other winter clothes.

And I definitely need to install the electric-heated grips to a handlebar. To use a chemical warmers - a good idea! In this regard, I think that I can get the gasoline catalytic heaters, like this - http://www.kovea.ru/catalog/items/pocketwarmer/ (I cant to enter international site)
  8. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    We'll swap you -20F for our +43C

Although we've managed a bit of a reprieve in the last couple of days.

Bourke had 48C yesterday.

38.4C is 100F, if memory serves correct.

An ambition of mine, totally through AdvRider, is to spend a winter in either North America or Europe, with a sidecar, seeing if i can avoid killing myself.
  9. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the Tasmanian guys on the Rokon board has been telling about the weather out there. Some of his family has had to deal with the fires in Tasmania and Australia.

Plenty of warmer places in the Winter here in the US if you make it over and need to warm up occasionally, I really do like the cold though.
  10. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have always looked at those gas heaters but I have never actually had my hands on one so I do not know how well they work.

Wind can be a problem here especially up on the higher passes so you really need good wind protection.
  11. miggins11

miggins11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ye Gods - and I moan when it gets to -2 or so! :D
  12. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's it Chris, ruin our street cred, confess all to the colonials about how we suffer.

On the other hand, Colorado and our Oz brethren might appreciate some of our rain.
  13. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I feel allot better about our 6 Fdegrees weather this morning, though my dogs not all that happy.DB
  14. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the spirit of the original post it only got down to -14F this morning and the high should be around 6F. I love the steam coming out of the exhaust.

[​IMG]

I left a little later this morning so I could get a sunrise picture on the way to work. Some day I should get a real camera because the cell phone just can't do justice to the sunrise and sunsets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must be a sissy when its that cold I just cawl in front of the stove and say f**k it..More power to ya..When we were younger and in better shape we would Ice Race in that weather didn't bother us,but in Wisconsin we use alot of salt on the roads that also slows me down....:clap
  16. PetrB

PetrB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By the way I am now reading about driving with the Ural engines in a frost. Indeed, the fuel mixture is very depleted and there is a real risk of damage to the pistons by overheating (pistons can be simply burned off, because depleted mixture is burns very hot in the combustion chambers).

I do not know, if there are any choke on new-style airfilters. But if not, I think that the solution against depletion can be a homemade fabric cover (like a hat :rofl) to donning over the filter housing - it will reduce the airflow, thus enriching the fuel mixture.

I'm going to do something similar for my hack, as the factory choke I've been removed from the system
  17. Mechanista

Mechanista Board Certified

Oddometer:
    How cold was it today?
    The sun was shining strong this morning, but still only -11 here in GJ.
    That is the only thing I liked about working up in Eagle-Vail during the winter was the cool sunrises.
    What kind of exhaust mod did you do to your Ural to kick it up like that?

Thanks for the info PetrB. I will try to remember to use the knitted hat for a choke over the air cleaner inlet, next time I go riding in the extreme cold.
  18. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    -14 this morning but I take the van on Mondays and Wednesdays because I work out after work and I hate putting a sweaty head into a helmet at below zero temps. I haven't started the Astro since Friday and I thought it wasn't going to start this morning.

The exhaust is a stock Ural 650 solo exhaust. Holopaw still has some last I heard and they are cheap. Pretty much a bolt on but I switched them left side on right and vice versa and then sawzalled off the passenger pegs and used the peg mounts to bolt them to the bike.
  19. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live at about 7,300 feet/2250 meters so too much oxygen is rarely a problem up here. I run stock factory jets and it runs just fine up here, I spend a lot of time around 10,000 feet/3050 meters so I really don't worry about running lean.
  20. PetrB

PetrB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's just my thinking out loud. Because I am very care of my USSR-made 650 engine and keep thinking about all sorts of horrors:eek1