Strikingviking: on TV's "Locked Up Abroad"

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Bigbird, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Bigbird

Bigbird "Dog Is My Co-Pilot"

Oddometer:
    The Point of No Return, in the Adirondacks, NY
    Don't know if anyone else saw this, but while flipping thru the mindless dross of cable tv Saturday I came across a view of a guy riding a BMW 650, and the narration said something about ....heading for the tip of South America". So, naturally I paused in my surfing to take a closer look. A closer view of the BMW showed there was something printed on the tank. I hit the freeze-frame on the set to see what it said, "Strikingviking.net" Hey! cool, that's the dude who posts on ADVrtider quite a bit! Wonder what he's doin' on the Tube. As it turned out, Greg was narrating his Real-life Adventure as a kidnapped hostage of some Colombian paramilitary mob in 2001. I don't think SV had that kind of "adventure riding" in mind when he started out for Tierra del Fuego! Anyway, if you get a chance, watch this show. And in the words of The Sargent on "Hill Street Blues"..... "Let's be careful out there."

Cheers,
    Bigbird
  2. Skippii

Skippii Did you eat my Zinger???

Oddometer:
    Now that's the kind of thing that makes me want to get TV!
  3. The Yeti

The Yeti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. ronhr

ronhr Retired in Place at Work (they like me more now)

Oddometer:
  5. kuroda_tadayoshi

kuroda_tadayoshi Kuroda

Oddometer:
    FYI,

Now on Nexflix streaming. Season 1 episode 4. Watch it to see how shoving a motorcycle key up your nose can save your life.
  6. Grover6

Grover6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty amazing story. I haven't seen the show, but I highly recommend the book, Two wheels through terror. Made me want to ride to Tierra del fuego, maybe without seeing Columbia.
  7. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Men in prison???
  8. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fj5oq2cY884" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​
  9. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fixed for ya Slippii! :evil

"Good" programs on cable or regular TV are rare...

:lol3
  10. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    :eek1:eek1:eek1 Now that you mention it, I have seen that specific show. In my younger crazier days, I came pretty close of ending up in that sort of situation.Money talked then but still.....:eek1:eek1:eek1

So now I watch them when nothing better to do, just for some answers as to what could/would have happened to us back then.:eek1:eek1:eek1
  11. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Wow. I had no idea. Just watched the episode..

I love the ending! :clap
  12. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glenn Heggstadt (sp) book and this episode are good. When they did the recreation. They had him on the BMW 650 but he was riding a KLR 650 when he took the trip. Don't know why they changed that for the episode. I know he rode a BMW when he did his around the world trip (also a good read). If you haven't read "two wheels through terror" I highly recommend it.
  13. HH

HH Dahlonega GA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd rather be "locked up with broads" :feelgood
  14. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    read the book several years ago.
    still surprised that someone would want to steal a klr
  15. KhaoSanMan

KhaoSanMan Airhead

Oddometer:
    My brother and I were at the BMW national a few years back heading to the beer tent for last call. We grabbed our beer and sat down to chat, on the way to the table I noticed a man hunched over wearing a well worn leather jacket with something to the effect of "globetrotter" on the back. I just knew it was Glen, but it was one of those moments when you aren't sure and don't want to be rude. I told my brother and we decided the best course of action would be to just yell out "Glen!" and see if he reacted.

We did, and he did, and we headed over to share some brew and stories. We were blown away to have the chance to share a beer with what to us is a real life Indian Jones. He is a tremendously cool and funny guy and we say hi now whenever we see him at other rallies in California.

I feel like more folks should hear about his story. Without a doubt I was inspired to learn that after all of his ordeals he wanted nothing more than to continue his journey, and get's to to this day.