Large CSM Hack, Small Schnauzer

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by davebig, Sep 16, 2012.

1. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    The song was from the debut album of band "America" (oddly, a bunch of brits). The vocals were done by Dewey Bunnell.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Horse_with_No_Name

I wouldn't worry about an unnamed rig. It'll let you know what to call it when the time comes, and you wouldn't want to get the gender wrong :eek1
    FR700 likes this.
  2. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about Oskar Gunter Grass's character from The Tin Drum, or Javert the policeman from Les Merables being compulsively driven isn't all bad, or perhaps Just N Time the dogs monicker. I don't quite understand Drone's superstition, they don't teach that where he went to school. DB
  3. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once you know a sidecars TRUE NAME, you have control over it.
  4. davebig

Oddometer:
    Its true I'm old enough to remember flower power and things being groovy, but I wasn't that interested at that point.Claude being an old sprint car racer he's done this before being unable to find a 135/80/15 winter tire I thought why not make one out of a Nankang.
    [​IMG]
    Stock Nankang
    [​IMG]
    One attacked by a fool with a grooving iron.
    [​IMG]
    Dunlop Graspic 145/65/15 WInter tire

Ok I would not do it that way again I would just groove from the center to the outside and stagger it side to side and leave the center block alone.This took a little over an hr and wore out one blade.
    Off for a test it turns better on the slop not as good as the graspic but better than stock.
    8" of wet heavy snow available, I got stuck went too slow got chair tire out of track and it got hung up, too wet too heavy shoveled snow out from under chair and away I went.DB
  5. davebig

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    A Conti a Conti my kingdom for a Conti in 135/15 !
    This guy in the rear works great !
    On another side note the speedo is better than it ever was (stock) with a 1100rt 17" wheel drive and the 135/80/15 not more than 2 mph off.DB
  6. davebig

Oddometer:
    We had 8" of fresh really wet snow on top of about 14 hrs of rain overnight, so Justin and I shot for 25 miles everything had been plowed once, we forgot the camera.We learned about tapping the rear brake to get the rig sliding in the corners.there was plenty of snow with water underneath it I think 45 was about as fast as we ever got going but control with newly grooved Nankang was not so bad.
    Twenty miles was all my fingers and toes allowed, did learn that Smart Cars take 145/65/15 tire and Pirelli makes a pretty nice looking snow tire in that size,I did come across a Scion iq that looked promising but it has 16" wheels
  7. davebig

Oddometer:
    It was snowing to beat the band 2-4 " really coming down good time for a quick out and about tire test.The snow was very dry and light (wouldn't make a decent snowball). Visibility was about a 1/4 mile I live in a spot where its pretty easy to slip out to some gravel without the hassle of lots of traffic.
    [​IMG]
    My unhappy partner in crime, wants to go back into house(image is screwed up no good ones of weather).
    [​IMG]
    Finished 135/80 Nankang with extra grooves

It all sucked it took me 30 minutes to get out of drive(uphill) and a snow shovel to get enough pavement to get the rig moving (no momentum).The snow was dry and when it was flat I could get it moving without wheel spin with very light throttle.
    Good news Claude's grooved tire worked much better than the back, tracked nice, provided some braking and with judicious braking didn't lock up and slide.The ride sucked I was warm shoveling and working, glasses fogged, I opened my shield and glasses froze , got so I couldn't see anything took of glasses, cold feet went home. I think there is a place for Urals such days may be it.I should have run the rear pressure way down ,onward and forward.DB
  8. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey dave,

since im getting my riding schnauzer buddies (Chubbs and Hoolie) ready for the upcoming season, i have a few questions.

1) where did you get the zipper work done on your tonneau cover (or did you have it custom made?). I was thinking of having my new cover scut and zippers installed in the same manner for the dogs and the wife (to vut out more wind on cold days), and would love someone with experience to do it.

2) what harness do you use
    3) any protection on the seat or side-rails of the car to protect again those hard schnauzer claws and puncturing the seat or scratching the car?

Thanks!
  9. davebig

Oddometer:
    Mike
    I just had the local shoe repair leather sewing guys put in two zippers and a pair of snaps to keep it from hanging.
    Justin has a Ruff Wear harness but they are expensive, I don't have much of a clever interior other than the seat PU bedliner on the floor and auto carpet mats.
    Justin's not much of a look around guy he comes up checks the weather and returns to the next nap doesn't really like his face in the wind, if the tempo of the ride changes he'll have a look around, check to see if I'm about and return to napping.DB
  10. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    1. Marine upholstery shops are usually well versed in installing zippers and snaps, think boat tops with removable windows.
    3. I had my window tint guy put clear film on my sidecar to protect against scratches around the cockpit edges and the fender where you climb in.
  11. davebig

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The sign on the road one can't see is Not Maintained Travel At Your Own Risk that's where we turned around.
    [​IMG]
    Claude your tire groovier was a great idea she tracked really nicely in the mush no pushing or sliding in the front.
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure Justin's thinking about the barbless trout fishing season, I think it may have just started.
    [​IMG]
    As far as we got up one road,trout fisherman parked here.
    [​IMG]
    The same spot as above he's headed where I wanted to go but thought better of it, I wasn't quick enough with camera, they stared at us a bit.
    [​IMG]
    The beginning of the ride 80 miles would have been longer but got wet feet going to fast through a big wet hole and decided home for warmer feet would be a nice compromise.
    Engine new pistons,rings and cylinders finally starting to run like the expensive German motorcycle it is, still very tight I figure this weather is perfect to make it work a bit.DB
  12. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks like a good ride. What river are you riding along there?
  13. davebig

Oddometer:
    That's all near Whitewater park and wildlife area near Elba I beleive that's the Whitewater river.DB
  14. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pictures and you two sure know how to have fun.
  15. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Hello David I got out today for a run on th eroad that follows the top of shade mountain...snow and slush all went well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. davebig

Oddometer:
    Claude
    Until I saw you posted somewhere yesterday I was worried you were ill or somehow sidelined. The tire groover was a great idea, that tire works really well and the next one a 145/80 will get some groves also, I need to convince the other Dave to try it.
    How's the temps there we are 20 degress below normal and have had 23.5 "of snow in March.I gotta try experimenting again with preloading the bar a little.
    The Red Baron looks big I don't remember it being less agile than mine, so what kind of a fisherman are you ? And where did you acquire all the geometry (steering,trail,etc) information that you seem to carry around ? Sprint cars?, Yesterday my front staid exactly where I put and it was slippery enough I could induce a little sliding easily, it was perfect for me and Justin.DB
  17. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Hi Claude, love the look of those bodies. Now, if you could only make a LHS one and ship to Australia. :lol3

Speaking of which, what's with the map of Australia decal on the sidecars fender? No dramas, just curious. :D
  18. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    It is an ADV decal that was sent was sent to me. Only wish I could visit down there someday..... So send me an email no reason we can't ship a left hand one to ya...lol.
  19. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:

Any of us down under would be honored to have any of you come visit.

Hmmm, "Worldwide Sidecar Meeting".......hmmm. :lol3
  20. davebig

Oddometer:
    Still plenty of snow here but it's going fast, I'm sure the official temp may have only hit 45 but the sun was warmer and I had a monkey available as I had not ridden it much with weight in chair other than Justin the Mini Schnauzer.
    We loaded up Justin and buddy Serious Dick headed for the Zumbro River an looked over its journey to the Mississippi.
    [​IMG]
    First stop the Spring Creek Moto X track home to possibly the toughest national moto-cross in the nation near Millville MN all the stars have and do ride here every year.
    [​IMG]
    The Zumbro Bottoms camp ground geared for horse camping, dirt moto riders get it 2 weekends a year, there's about 50 miles of trails, they need the horse folks money to maintain, the two groups hate one another.
    In 2wks there is a 100 mile trail run here for Ultra Marathoners, woman friend who's semi retired from the ultra's may show up and do one 17 mile loop.
    [​IMG]
    The road we came in on, did a circle afraid to stop and came back out.
    [​IMG]
    MN spring thick brown gumbo Conti Wintercontact worked good in back, Claude thanks again the grooved Nankang steered well and didn't load up.
    [​IMG]
    Serious Dick
    [​IMG]
    Were the Mississippi widens out to a mile or more wide and 30' deep Lake Pepin still frozen Just N of Wabasha MN we could see 8-9 Bald Eagles fishing in the open water, it stays open all winter so the valley has huge Eagle population.
    [​IMG]
    A more professional Eagle watcher( I say pro judging by length of the lens) lots of them in river valley.
    It was a good afternoon bike continues to improve as rings begin to seat, still convinced the auto front wheel is a huge improvement for my use.Steering was accurate and no scarey moments in soft gooey roads.