Football for Misery Goat; Food for VespaFitz

Discussion in 'Sports' started by choirboy, Oct 12, 2003.

1. choirboy

choirboy Yankee Racers - Founder

Oddometer:
    Okay, I told Misery Goat that I would post some pics from last week's Chiefs-Broncos game.

This was a second annual event for me and my friend Brandon. Last year he suggested we go to a game; I suggested we go when the Broncos play at Arrowhead. This year was a double-header of sorts. In addition to the game on Sunday, the Colorado Rapids were playing the KC Wizards on Saturday night, so we got tickets to both games.

Okay, I'm a novice with a digital camera. I was borrowing a buddy's camera for this weekend. I go over to his house, his wife gives me the camera, explaining "he had to go work out." I admire his dedication, but I didn't get any instructions.

I hadn't eaten at all Saturday, so I grab a bite to eat on my way to pick up Brandon. Two Chicago-style, drag it through the garden:
    [​IMG]

It's Vienna Beef, VespaFitz:
    [​IMG]

Last year we went to Arthur Bryant's in KC for barbecue. Brandon says he knows of a better place, L.C.'s:
    [​IMG]

"Beef and pork combo w/ fries." "Me, too."
    [​IMG]

Can't describe how good it was. Delicious.
    [​IMG]

Got to Arrowhead about 15 minutes before the game was to start. Interesting to see a MLS game, but not really my thing.
    [​IMG]

We were in the 3rd row, but still had a hard time watching the game because of the soccer hooligans in front of us. These were some serious hardcore fans:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Game over, spent the night at Brandon's folks' place in Overland Park. Got up early to grab some doughnuts. No, not Krispy Kremes, either:
    [​IMG]

Just ask for "what's warm." Applesauce cake doughnuts right out of the oil. MMMMM!

Okay, we head to Arrowhead to tailgate. I had been told that to get the full NFL experience you have to tailgate. Fortunately I own an actual tailgate.

Getting the fire going. Fire good!
    [​IMG]

That's not morning haze; it's smoke. Tailgating is a serious ritual in KC.

[​IMG]

We had gotten some brats and italian sausage from Werner's in KC. Good meat.

I'm wearing my Bronco hat and tending the grill, which is positioned kinda out in the lane. People are trying to drive by to open spaces. Actual conversation heard from passing SUV:

"Hey, I don't want to hit this guy here."
    "Go ahead, it's okay - he's a Bronco fan."

People in KC have such a great sense of humor.

We finish eating - two brats a piece and a couple bottles of root beer - and start heading for the stadium. There are some serious tailgaters in KC:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More smoke - all that burning flesh smelled good!
    [​IMG]

KC actually loves the Broncos. Here we see a Chiefs fan showing his love by flying a Bronco mascot:
    [​IMG]

They were courteous enough to give us our own row of porta-johns:
    [​IMG]

Here's a Bronco supporter - I of course had my picture taken with him 'cause we're rooting for the same team:
    [​IMG]

We went into the stadium about an hour early and went down close to the field. Some of the special teams and assorted players were working out, getting in some last minute practice.

Jason Elam kicking a field goal.
    [​IMG]

Dante Hall and Rod Smith.
    [​IMG]

Trent Green.
    [​IMG]

Priest Holmes.
    [​IMG]

Tony Gonzalez. He seemed to miss a lot of passes in practice. Unfortunately he made up for it during the game.
    [​IMG]

Dick Vermiel is in there, somewhere, giving his pre-game speech.
    [​IMG]

We moved up to our seats in the club section. This end zone is the one Dante Hall was almost tackled for a safety. Instead he returned the kick for a touchdown. Disappointing. A local National Guard unit is posting the colors for the playing of the National Anthem.
    [​IMG]

Then Batman flew over. Whitman AFB is a ten-minute flight from Arrowhead. Stealth obviously does not mean "noise attenuation."
    [​IMG]

KC wins the coin toss, Denver kicks the opening kickoff.
    [​IMG]

I didn't take any more pictures. I was quite an exciting game, even with Denver losing 24-23. One missed field goal, and they didn't stop Hall on that run. Oh well, KC still has to play in Denver. December 7 - revenge!

Great game, great food, great friend - all in all a great time.
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Great thread :thumb
  3. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun weekend! Can you PM me with directions to LC's.....I think we are going to be in KC the weekend before Thanksgiving. Thanks.

Jon
  4. choirboy

choirboy Yankee Racers - Founder

Oddometer:
    Sure, but I'll have to ask my buddy; he's from there, I just drive. It's within a mile or two of the stadium, I remember that. Lot of construction on the highways in the area, also.
  5. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    i'm home sick for arrowhead..:cry i tailgated in the parking lot many times over the years...

great pics choir..the grub looks gooood..:thumb

i see your broncs pulled it out today..

i came home from my ride today to find the chiefs came back to win in ot..:freaky

nice post and pics..
  6. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures, Broncos-Chiefs is always a heated rivalry.
    what a game today! went into Green Bay and pulled off another victory. Vermeil is one hell of a coach.

the replay will be tough, Denver is a tough place to win,so is KC.

:freaky :getdown :evil
  7. VespaFitz

VespaFitz No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer:
    Less football, more food.

Nice shots, bubba. My favorites:

This is the most phallic image I've ever seen:

[​IMG]

Sex sells...donuts.

And is there a hot dog under all that crap somewhere?

[​IMG]

When we finally get together, we should do a hot dog swap. Here's the one I like:

The lady here (Gail. Flo died.) makes the best damned hot dog I've ever eaten in my life. With hot sauce and mayonnaise. Divine.

[​IMG]

Is Arthur Bryant's the place where the ladies scream "WHATCHOO WANT??!!" at you from behind the counter? If it is, I've been there. I've definitely been to Gates', but I think I went to Bryant's too. I have to say that the barbecue in KC is some of the best I've ever, ever had. The lobster? Not so good.