Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Smellyhound

Smellyhound Happy Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hell... well not quite, but pretty damn close
    Granted I have never tried it in regards to a bike, but contacting Corporate tends to light sa fire under the dealerships ass when it comes to cars. I had a Chevy that got swamped, needed a short-block done. Got the run around.. 3 weeks after they said it would be done. I called Chevy's corporate offices, filed a complaint. I got a callback that eveniing from the dealership sayin how sorry they were and my motor would be there in 2 days and installed in another 2. Suddenly I was their best friend. Like I said.. not sure how it works with cycle dealers, but if your cage is giving you grief... give it a shot... it works.
  2. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Streetpilot 2720 sits on the Triumph mounting.

[​IMG]
  3. ElNorto

ElNorto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If there is a silver lining to waiting 5 months for your ride its most of the accessories you have been thinking about are finally starting to arrive.
    Leo Vince now has a couple more alternatives for exhaust replacement.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  4. spewler

spewler Not (w)reckless

Oddometer:
    I borrowed a Touratech wind deflector from a friend (1200 GS rider). It helps a little but I still get some buffeting. Has anybody tried the Twisted Throttle clamp-on spoiler?
  5. bug67

bug67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Although, if I had it to do over, I would've gotten the 660/5 with the same mounting options. I thought it would be better to have physical buttons on my GPS unit. I never use them. The touch screen buttons work just fine. Anyhow:

Garmin Zümo 550 with the locking Touratech mount and Touratech handlebar GPS adapter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. bdx

bdx Wheeeee!

Oddometer:
    I realize this thread has become the Tiger 800 lovefest... and that is OK. But there may be some people out there still considering a purchase (as I was) and might like another POV.

I have been down to purchasing either and F800Gs or the Tiger. I haven't ridden either of them extensively, but it only took a short test ride to decide that for me... It is the BMW.

The Tiger engine is SWEET. Sounds great, pulls nicely, is genuinely a delight to ride... down the highway. The tranny is also a dream. With knobbies on rain grooves I didn't feel a single bobble. It is firmly planted and inspires confidence...on the highway.
    Here is what I didn't like.
    The riding position - pulls me forward more than I like which makes standing awkward and gives me that pain between the shoulder blades.
    Low speed maneuvering - Bike became heavy & awkward and did not change direction easily.
    Width It may not be much wider than the F800, but it FEELS much thicker between the knees and I feel a little claustrophobic like I am locked into one riding position.

I am a BIG dude and I know that has a lot of effect on handling issues and I know each rider has their priorities. Personally I would sacrifice some highway comfort for off-road capability. I know when I sat on the F800GS, it fit ME perfectly. It made me giggle when I rode it. It didn't flinch at parking lot figure 8's or full lock circles at idle.

So while many people will buy the Triumph and be very happy. I'm buying the beemer.
  7. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    the width you are speaking about is the seat...it is wider than the 800GS which makes the bikes feel wider for sure....this is the beauty of having options out there and now more than BMW in the mid weight range for ADV bikes. Either way, BMW or Triumph anyone who loves to ride will have fun on either bike. You found your fit and that is also what it is about...have fun and get riding. You will love your Beemer as we all should love any bike we ride.
  8. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
  9. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I think Scorpion also have a slip-on available.
  10. Evomx971

Evomx971 Wave as you fly over

Oddometer:
    Like others, still waiting on Triumph parts too. Haven't received a single part in my order. I thought the pipe wasn't backordered, but apparently it is. Not really bothering me too bad except I really want to get a centerstand on the thing.
  11. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Sure it's strong enough!?? :eek1:D Were you planning on carrying a 100 lb. Panavision camera up there or a 4 oz. GPS unit?

Seems to me an all rubber, very simple mount would do. Aluminum mounts don't filter out vibes. Vibes ruin electronics. And think what will happen if you should get launched over the bars: Your legs/knees will likely go through your mount on the way to the ground. It could eviscerate your legs on the way through.

As a long time dirt bike rider (over 30 years) I've crashed hundreds of times. Sometimes you are launched forward. Metal parts in your path are not all that good. Handlebars and windshields are bad enough ... and have done quite a bit of damage to riders. (I broke four ribs hitting handlebars) Adding even more gak up front makes me nervous. Be safe out there!
  12. bug67

bug67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whatever. Get what you think is best for you. No need to bash what someone else thinks is best for them. One thing's for sure, mine won't be coming off. :deal

Plus, what you probably can't see from the photo are the spring and rubber dampers involved in the very well made Touratech unit. So, your "vibes ruin electronics" comment is baseless in this situation.

[​IMG]
  13. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Very good review I thought ... and kind of turns on it's head a lot of previous reviews from guys with little off road Cred who rated BMW ahead of the Tiger off road.

Also confirms what I've said about TOO MUCH low end torque being a disadvantage off road. Now take both bikes into super steep, loose rocky scree riding at walking speed. Stop on the hill and see which bike is easier to get moving on.

I'm guessing BMW will be doing a "re-fresh" very soon on the 800. Better forks (they should offer an Ohlins package) will be a huge benefit and I'm guessing BMW can get another 10 HP out of that motor to match Triumph.

In the Pro's vs Con's part of the review they listed "Proven Reliability" as a Pro for the BMW 800. That is laughable. I guess they've never read the many problem threads in the ADV Parallel Universe forum. :deal
  14. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes they do. Stainless Steel
    [​IMG]
  15. soph9

Oddometer:
    if one were to mount a Zumo 660 on the Triumph mount what other attachment do you need?
  16. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    The only thing you need is the Garmin powered motorcycle mount. It bolts right up to the Triumph mount.
  17. Daytonacharlie

Daytonacharlie 2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer:
  18. soph9

Oddometer:
    thanks....now want to hear a secret....why I have been lurking here even though I ride a Beemer....check this out...and don't throw stones...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693154
  19. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Has Triumph caught up with the demand for Tiger 800's?
    This one is unspoken for in Oregon:

[​IMG]

Not a bad color at all...

[​IMG]

If you are one of the people still in a waiting list somewhere, call the guys at 541.343.8949 for more info on this brand new bike.

No, I do not have any affiliation with them whatsoever. Was there just now, perusing their bikes and saw this nice yellow roadie.

Nope, not that black XC on the back. The black one has been sold already...

Lion
  20. tpulls

tpulls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really want to pull the trigger on a black frame 800 road. Aside from peoples issues here with overheating the only worry I have is the lack of suspension adjustment on the 800. I'd like to be able to stiffen it up a bit for riding canyons hard or carrying a passenger.