FJR1300 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Putts, Nov 4, 2008.

1. bmwhd

bmwhd God Bless Texas

Oddometer:
    The Sargent is a good product. Big win over the OEM seat. Not as good as a custom seat but a big step up.

If I was going to go back to serious LD riding, I'd get a custom but for my 1-3 day trips, it's perfect.
  2. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    I hear ya, ever since I dun got my '07 (In '10) I knew this wuz the bike fer me. Butt, the mods on the '13 are tasty 'n tempting. :smile6
  3. SlowRoll

SlowRoll One Day Closer To......

Oddometer:
    I'm not tempted by the new '13. My old '04 runs strong, has MCcruise, and is paid for. The only thing I want is to upgrade the suspension.
  4. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee

Oddometer:
    My new '09 AE is just fine... but I wouldn't mind the cruise control. I can buy a lot of farkles for the difference in price. If they bring in the AE/AS model... then I'll reconsider.
  5. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone here run a PCIII on their FJR, and if you do, do you also run the cat eliminator plug? I have been running a PCIII for years with no other mods, with the O2 sensor disconnected (this was the recommended configuration from Dynojet). However recently I became aware that they came out with an O2 sensor plug that is nothing but two resistors across the 4 wires. Some have said the adaptation in the FJR ECU does weird things if it senses a sensor missing, even if no code is thrown. The plug does something and fools the ECU into thinking an O2 sensor is there but doing nothing I guess. This was not apparent or known 5 years ago when I fitted the PCIII and I have lost touch with the cranky old hardcore FJR folks since.

The PCIII improved things a lot at the time but lately I've been wondering just what its tiny little brain is doing about the open O2 sensor socket.

Any feedback rumor innuendo or just plain SWAG appreciated. I have a 2007 with the altitude fix updated ECU.
  6. VascoS

VascoS n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi fred. Mine is also a 2007 with the altitude fix. I dont run a PCIII, I have considered it a while ago but it was too expensive (here in Europe at least..), I didn't want any performance improvement only a fix to the lean surge. This summer I got that O2 sensor plug and yes it's basically a plug with two resistors, but it did make a very significant improvement!! if you disconnect the sensor, the bike will give a error because it cannot read any value, mind you the ECU doesn't connect with the sensor in any tecno-USB-like system! it merely reads resistance values which is what the O2 sensor outputs. With the plug the bike doesn't give you the error because it can now read something, only catch is the reading for the sensor is always the same, the ECU is sufficiently idiot not to understand something is out of the ordinary... :-)

What I was told from a friend that recommended it to me, is that the plug resistance values "fool" the ECU in delivering more fuel to the engine in a closed throttle. This has the huge advantage that when opening the throttle the bike will now be much smoother, because there is not an abrupt fuel flow increase. You also notice the bike has less engine braking. In my case it also improved fuel mileage slightly!

It's cheap, so no big risk in trying. But I cannot say how it will work with a PCIII.

Cheers.
    V.

7. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. fred flintstone

Oddometer:
    Hi VascoS,
    Yes that lean surge is one of the issues I'd like to fix, it is still there but not as bad with the PCIII. It is interesting that on the Dynojet website they have a map specifically for the euro version with O2 plug and O2 sensor disconnected, the other maps do not mention O2 plug at all but do mention disconnected O2 sensor. I may try the euro map too.

That era Yamaha seemed to really not pay a lot of attention to ECU and software very much. I have had several of their bikes 06-08 and the fuel mapping was not so good. Motors themselves (the metal bits) are brilliant. Also were some final assembly issues but that was not design per se. The altitude problem drove me crazy but they eventually fixed it. Maybe an issue WRT labor vs too many varying emissions regs worldwide who knows.

Thanks for the info.
  9. 20valves

20valves Yamaholic

Oddometer:
    I fixed mine by twisting the throttle past 20% during significant altitude changes, :evil
  10. fred flintstone

Oddometer:
    That doesn't fix it, it makes it worse. It was really annoying having douchebag service rep types tell me that over and over. It turns out the software only updated ambient pressure every so often, and when you rode aggressively in big mountain terrain it quickly got out of whack very fast. Stalling repeatedly when you'd try to pass or give it some throttle etc. However if you stopped and shut it off sensor would reset and you'd be good to go for another 1000 feet or so. Bike was unrideable where I lived at the time, would ride from 6k ft to 12 k ft often and hard.

About a year later after a lot of back and forth with Yamaha, I got a letter about an updated ECU. Fixed the problem and has not come back.
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    So what swayed you over to the new FJR over the C14?

There are a few threads in the Equipment forum.. here's one of them:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638076
  12. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The FJR fits me better and I have a hsitory with Yamaha that is positive, not so with Kawasaki. :eek1

Thanks I'll take a look here:clap
  13. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    Anybody know what is going on with the fjrforum?
  14. harfooz

harfooz FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer:
    Looks like they might be in the middle of a forum upgrade. (Do forum upgrades ever go smoothly??)

'fooz
  15. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    Looks like an upgrade with extensive post-upgrade challenges and opportunities. :D
  16. fred flintstone

Oddometer:
    they "upgraded" software. It was gone for a while, up now but very slow.
  17. smoker2

smoker2 Founding member Flying Pig Assn.

Oddometer:
    Here's my 05 on a recent 4 day trip to NC. I like my FJR, it's in contention for the longest length of ownership, April 2013 will be 3 years, an SV650 currently holds that title. A Penske rear is on the Christmas list this year, after 43K miles and a second OEM shock I'm ready to upgrade. My eye wanders a lot, and with my part-time job I get to ride a lot of other brands, but I'm always happy to get back on her.

[​IMG]
  18. montybones

montybones Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
    I've got a bit of a question for the hive brain here.

While looking for a vstrom today, I stumbled upon a brand new 2007 FJR that's been sitting on a showroom floor since late 2006. The sales guy was really cool, and explained that the probable reason of this particular FJR's languishing was its automatic transmission. I had forgotten that Yamaha made an auto FJR (I guess it's not auto, as much as semi-auto), so now I'm looking for opinions about them. Most of you guys in this thread seem to have clutch levers on your bikes, but any info you can pass on would be helpful.

I have a bum left shoulder, so an automatic bike doesn't sound too bad at all. They've kept good care of it for the years they've had it (no gas in the tank, etc etc.). So, are the autos just as dependable as the standards? Still the same great FJR, just sans clutch lever?

Thanks!
  20. harfooz

harfooz FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: