Getting it straight-- the razor obsessed shaving megathread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RumRunner, Feb 13, 2007.

1. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    This all sounds kinda familiar. :lol3
  2. ziepan

ziepan Thread Killer

Oddometer:
    I have never heard any good things about the feathers or the shavettes.

For a starter straight razor I would get a lower end German one (like a dovo) 5/8 -1" it takes some practice to get a good edge on one sometimes you get scratches and damage when you are first starting out which isn't a big deal on a $60. but it is heart wrenching on a $250. razor.

Not all razors will shave worth a dam but all the German ones I have tried were good. The problem with buying straight razors now days is not many people still make them.

I am not a fan of Classicshaving they are over priced and they like to steer new guys into spending as much as they can, but I looked for another place I used to get razor stuff and I don't see anyone else around. The only thing that looks halfway decent there is the Filarmonica Doble Temple 7/8 and they want $250. for it. Looks like they have some basic Dovos for $100.
    My first razor was a 5/8 Dovo is was alright they don't come with a very good edge though. The Filarmonica usally come with a good edge but they are selling them for $250.

Over the years I have bought and sold a lot of old straight razors and just keep a few good shavers. The old 3/4 - 1" Henckels are my favorite. Nothing shaves like an old Henckels.

[​IMG]
  3. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:

I couldn't find that old shaving thread w search...(?)
  4. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
  5. Augie

Augie The new voice of reason

Oddometer:
    Why not just use a laser and never have to shave again AM laser
  6. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Holy fuck.

It takes a bunch of beemer riders to turn shaving into a pretentious ritual.

I hear monocles are due to make a comeback.
  7. Motoplaner

Motoplaner PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer:
    Vagina.
  8. Asphalt Assault

Asphalt Assault Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got sick of paying for modern day razors and recently got the Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor from www.leesrazors.com. Lee is a great guy, tell him Scott from ADV Rider sent ya.

Shaving dry or wet...you really can't beat old fashioned do it all products like this.
  9. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xh9KKFJyGZE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xh9KKFJyGZE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  10. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    I would need to see some before and after pictures, over a long period of time, before I could decide. Could take quite a while. :evil
  11. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    You're disposing of your Fusion blade sets, what's the big diff? Is throwing out 5 blades in their carrier once a week that much better than throwing out 2 blades with a flimsy handle once a week? You'd dispose of single blades after they were used up too. And them things are dangerous.

Never had a disposeable toothbrush personally. But aren't all toothbrushes disposable after a while? Or is there some way to send them out to be rebuilt?
  12. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    mach 3 best razor out there....nothing else comes close, i've tried them all!
  13. dtsv650r

dtsv650r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quit wondering.... the answer is yes. Get on over to the shaving thread, lot's of good info that doesn't need repeated here
  14. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    There is at least one really long thread on this.
  15. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    Bought a $30 Vincent kit off of ebay for $10 (shipping included).

Some people way back in '07 said it was the worst POS they ever used.

Some in '09 said it was definitely usable but not on par with the $50-$70 razors out there.

Other's in '09 said the same, but that it got much better when using better quality blades and soap.

If it does better than my mach 3, I have a little more manly pride.

If it only does as well as my mach 3, then at least I'm not doubling the price of the grocery store list every time I need blades.

If it turns out to be a disaster, then I only spent $10.

:dunno
  16. dtsv650r

dtsv650r Long timer

Oddometer:
    DE Safety Razor TIP:

Once you become proficient with what ever razor you purchase, try different brands of blades - they all feel and shave differently. Same goes for creams/soaps, experiment to find a combo that works for you.
  17. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:

5 blades (fusions) a week?!? One blade alone lasts me about 3 weeks.... Still, it's just the blade and plastic holder, not the whole handle.

You ever see that giant garbage pile floating in the Pacific, it's about the size a state now.... They find quite a few toothbrushes and disposable razor blades. You can't tell me a disposable razor isn't around 10 to 20 x times more waste and mass than a single blade.

Anyway, I have an Oral B electric, which uses small replacement heads that are lighter and smaller than new brushes.

Look nothing's perfect, but I'll just feel better tossing out a paper thin piece of metal (that can be recycled or will turn to harmless rust) then (hundreds of) an entire piece of plastic that will be dug up in a landfill 30 years from now.
  18. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    Knowing that they're all different and people react differently to them.

Got any suggestions for brands that at least provide decent results no matter what?
  19. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this thread. I had no idea you could still buy double-edge safety razors. Just ordered a merkur travel razor and a couple of types of blades. I'm travelling now, if I like it, I'll get a full size model when I get home.

I'm so sick of paying for multi blade cartridges, even though one cartidge lasts me a couple of weeks, that I bought a nice Braun electric. Doesn't work for me.
  20. dtsv650r

dtsv650r Long timer

Oddometer:
    My kit;
    Merkur Long Handle - German quality, nice heft, balanced feel

I've settled on two brands of blades;
    Merkur - damn fine shave. I get 5-6 shaves/blade
    Feather - wicked sharp bastards and like all things wicked sharp, seem to lose their edge slightly quicker. 4 - 5 shaves/blade.

Cream - I've been using Prorasso for quite awhile, little bit goes a loooooong ways! reasonably priced and makes a great lather.

I also use an alum block, soothing conditioner/toner when rubbed over your face after shaving.

These work great for me, ymmv, just get familiar with what you have and then try a different blades, cream, soap, etc....

...and a good brush is important and will last many years if properly cared for.