Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Rescheduled for Fri. Instead of doing 45mi on my birthday, we're doing 100

It's been tossed about to do 113 just because

We just got back from 14mi mtn bike ride. Little on the :vardy side

M
  2. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that just plain ol' sucked. The past three months have been a perfect storm of bad weather, injury, sickness, and a healthy dose of laziness thrown in for good measure. I only managed 433 miles in three months, which leaves me at 3138 for the year, well short of my goal of 3500.

So, how did I do this year? My first goal was 3500 miles. did I reach it? No. My second goal was a century. Did I do that? No. My best ride was about 80 miles. My third goal was twenty miles in an hour. Did I reach that? No. My best was 19.25 miles. In short, suckage, suckage, and suckage.

That's not going to keep me from setting even grander goals for enxt year though. Here they are: 4000 miles, a century, and 20 miles in an hour. I have absolutely zero confidence that I'll make any of them.

As a note, I'm at 5488 this morning.
  3. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a source of tyres for 28" wheels? Obviously these are older so expect them to be NOS.
  4. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    28" is usually synonymous for 700c but check the size chart to be sure

HTH

M
  5. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that chart and the link. That's fixed that issue then as was considering getting a 28" wheeled frame but as there's only 5mm difference in BSD between the 27" and 28" nominal wheels, I shan't bother.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    At least, you're honest with yourself. :lol3

Yeah, don't get too wrapped up in wheel sizes for frames. Just make sure you can get a brake caliper that'll work.

I've got an English 26" (590mm BSD) rolling on 700c (622mm BCD). I'd read on a few forums that they don't fit. Go figure. :rolleyes
  7. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    You could always start on a really long downhill. :D
  8. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not in FL.
  9. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    I hear they have some causeway bridges down there.:evil
  10. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Was aiming for 100km of dirt and tarmac yesterday. Made it to 80 as it was hitting 4PM. We were 1:30 away from home the way we'd planned, 45min away from home down the busy road, or 15min away from my buddy's house. Ended up at 90km on the day.

We chose my buddy's house. My bike is over at his place. Dirty. :bluduh Oh well. He's gonna bring it to the Haymarket ride tonite and I'll have three bikes to clean (mtn from Mon, Crosshairs yesterday, and the FTB from tonite)

Got my training plan all worked out till April, and the basics roughed in to the Hilly Billy Roubaix at the end of June. Now to be able to actually RIDE said training plan without killing myself. :eek1 There's lots of 4hr rides backed up by 3-3.5hr rides on the weekends.

M
  11. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I spent part of yesterday trying to learn to climb steep hills on my 29er. Couldn't do it, though. :cry In retrospect, I think I was getting bad advice: using the smallest gear in front combined with the largest gear in back made pedaling ridiculously easy, but it also caused the bike to wheelie uncontrollably, with an occasional loss of traction at the rear. The video below at the 1:22 mark shows a rider pedaling at a much slower cadence than I was, but both wheels remain firmly planted.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1jVHrS-jsF8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    AG2R has a sense of humor
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8g_H8htT-GM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

M
  13. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    Yes, Using the granny gear really does take finesse. It is a fine balance between wheelie-ing and loosing traction. Trials REALLY helps with this one.

Practice, practice, practice......
  14. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Climbing steep hills on any mtn bike means putting your taint WAY up on the nose of the saddle and bringing your face right down towards the bar and 'rowing' your bike up the hill.

Rowing = pulling back and down to drive the rear wheel into the ground at the power portion of your pedal stroke. You still need to have a smooth pedal stroke or you'll break traction.

HTH

M
  15. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
  16. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotta replace my clipless pedals with a set of flats before I do any more climbing practice. :lol3

Also, what happens when you stall out on a steep climb? Once the bike is moving forward, traction isn't as big an issue, but trying to start from a dead stop on a hill just causes the rear wheel to spin.
  17. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the Vortex trail at Santos is unsafe. Lose control in some areas, and you could go home in a body bag. :grim
  18. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    I don't know from mtn biking, but I use <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A530-Dual-Platform-Pedal/dp/B001MZ2AGO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1357139500&sr=8-5&keywords=shimano+pedals">these</a> on my Sirrus, and I find them very useful for intense urban cyclo-flogging.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leaving them on is how you're going to learn to quickly get out of them. I've only ever fallen over once, because I couldn't get unclipped. And, that was because I was unwilling to give up climbing the hill.

You walk it.
  20. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can already unclip instantly without having to think about it. Flats would just give me a little more peace of mind, so I can concentrate on the task at hand. :1drink

That's cheating. :nono