Tales From The Bivouac, Dakar 2012

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Deadly99, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah Im sorry about that Ted - Pesky job got in the way big time on the last trip!! :waysad

Dont worry, we will DEFINITELY have a beer in Lima, and I will be your GO-TO guy in Peru, chasing the rally from Arica on my trusty 800GS, camera in hand. The big question is: Will you be able to sneak us into the bivouac one night? I'll bring wire cutters just in case :evil

We can also have a another catch up beer in TO in Late January if youre back by then!
  2. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Only if you have mustache and carry a spare tire with ya :evil
  3. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:lol3 I'll have to grow one again in that case :wink:
  4. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't you take part in "Movember"? :lol3
  5. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope, that is some strange northern hemisphere cult thing. :D

We shave our heads for cancer every year. :wink:
  6. piercalif

piercalif Biciveloce

Oddometer:
    I am going as a spectator for my first time to follow the Dakar race, anyone the can give me some tips: best way to go around, how to enter the bivouac etc...?
  7. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
  8. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hijack this thread. But what channel is the Dakar Rally going to be on and what times? I got rid of my cable last year and had to resort to watching clips online. Worst timing ever? I think so.:huh.

To make up for this interuption, Heres a busty ginger on a Rokon!

[​IMG]
  9. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Unless you're a racer, a crew member in one of the official assistance vehicles, a registered press person, or otherwise an offical part of the event, you're unlikely to get into any bivouac. Unfortunatley, without getting into the bivouac, you'll miss the best part. And no matter how you chase the race, you won't see much actual racing because you'll be spending most of your time on the road trying to keep up. Even so, if you can hook up with someone who knows what's going on it can be a fantastic experience. I chased it in 2009 on a street bikes with a couple of other guys, and we had a GREAT time, though we had strong inside connections and scored bivouac arm bands half way through the race.

A few tips:
    - Reserve hotel rooms ahead of time.
    - Good luck finding places to eat on the road. No such thing as a Denny's! Think Baja, but somewhat worse.
    - Research how you're going to get a rental car/bike from Argentina into Peru or even into Chile.
    - Accept now that you won't have much time except to be driving from one bivouac town to the next, or skip some bivouac towns.
  10. lastplace

lastplace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ted,
    Here's an old video to introduce you to the origins of the team you'll ride with this year. Of the featured competitors, Mikey was the only one to finish the 2006 Dakar, I think. We added Jonah to our team a few months after that video was shot. http://www.rallypanam.com/news/newsyoutubevideo11.html

fun fun
    Charlie
  11. escuchamente

escuchamente Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Love that video, "What could possibly go wrong..."
    Did the guy with the most technologically advanced buggy ever finish a dakar?
  12. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    No, he never made it. But on a liaison he did go down the freeway in Portugal at nearly 100 mph, 3 ft off the ground, up side down. Our fellow inmate Kevin was in the car with him, enjoying the unique view!
  13. escuchamente

escuchamente Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    I wonder what kind of fine that got him. In '07 I was stationed just in front of an overpass before the exit to the assistance area after stage 2. The Portuguese highway patrol had a fit when they found out there was no problem with my rental car and I was just parked on the side of the road. I had to reposition to on top of the overpass (a surface street/country road) and when Jonah came by he didn't see me holding my Pan Am shirt and pointing toward the exit (the big ole football stadium outside Portomao). Anyway, he lost about 15 minutes but it all worked out.
    Lots of other riders/drivers ended up on the same overpass with me, taking the wrong exit. Some of the few locals who came to watch the racers pass had more fun with the navigation screw ups than with the folks who went the right way. :clap
  14. Robb Mc

Robb Mc what?

Oddometer:
    That stadium was a service area, not technically a bivouac, and the roadbook directions to it were shit. I remember it well, we were the first team at the stadium and thoroughly confused because nobody else was there. Thought for sure we had the wrong place and would miss everyone.
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the vid Charlie, I'm down on a beach in Mexico. I figure this is support team training at its best, learning a wee bit of spanish and working on the tan. Long days at the swim up bar, etc :thumb
  16. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Charlie,

Cool video, looks like it was intended as a promo for a full series on people preparing for the Dakar. Did that ever get made? Is it online someplace?
  17. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately only that trailer got made, nothing more.
  18. Jadon

Jadon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That video reminds me what a source of anguish it still is to many that Hog Wild and his Harley hack were knocked out of the Dakar in such bitterly disappointing circumstances.
    And maybe more so, that he hasn't been able to go back.

Yet!
  19. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    Great pitch video. It probably was too expensive to fully produce and a logistical nightmare for a prod. co. They should shop it around around again but maybe with just one team.

Still great compelling story
  20. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    How did Hog Wild get knocked out? I don't remember reading this. :dunno