Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. rob feature

rob feature pull my finger

Oddometer:
    heh. Thing is, the Dakar's going one way or another. I don't ride it anymore and have no plans to other than to keep it from wasting away. It just isn't generating interest and I've been talking to the bicycle guy for over a month now. I do need a FS bike. And it doesn't get much better. I could sit here and look at the Dakar 'till it sells (which, by the looks of things, could be years) or enjoy my new bicycle just about every day starting Saturday. The bicycle is winning at this point, but not a single one of my friends thinks it's a good idea so far. Then again, most are moto folk and not bicycle folk. Looks like you are moto/bicycle folk though and even you think I'm nuts. Maybe I sleeps on it again.
  2. dougfromindy

dougfromindy I smell premix

Oddometer:
    Keen SPD shoes just in, rode 25 miles.
    these are EXCELLENT > :D
  3. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    no there are 3 or 4

one in inmates, one in the rockies regional, i think one in perfect line, and probably one somewhere else i forgot. :lol3

doo eeet!
  4. soewe812

soewe812 Wag more Bark less

Oddometer:
    Been there done that. If your not using the Dakar why not?
  5. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    I just sold my bandit because I have ridden it 3500kms in the last 12 months and have done 7500kms on my 3 bicycles:D

And I just clocked up 3000kms of commuting since January.
  6. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    If I had no intentions of riding that Dakar :snore, and the pricing is parallel, sure. :p3rry
  7. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    What a load of tosh :lol3

Of course it's racing, they are racing against time and then posting the results - that's the key. If they weren't racing against others, why post their results :dunno

So, your logic, the IOM TT is not racing since, er, well, the riders don't actually race against each other but race against the clock.
  8. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I use my Strava account to track my workouts, and pretty much ignore everybody elses. Though I will admit to having a look at segment speeds and times. Some of those are crazy fast. But, I've also seen how some guys make those. Silliness.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Racing it is not. But, as humans we will compete no matter what the medium. <o:p></o:p>
    Post count?<o:p></o:p>
    Notches in the belt lost, gained?<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Worn out tires, used kleenex? What's next?<o:p></o:p>
    Since I'm on an extended business trip for what may turn out to be the rest of the year, (I've been off my bike for over three weeks now), I've been trying to get my running going. My Strava account comes in handy for my own route planning. Not a lot of hills out here. I get between 34 and 48 feet of climbing depending on which about 4 mile loop I take. I see a few bikes out whenever I run, in fact since I'm at the edge of town I see a good number of after work riders and early morning weekend riders and less than a handful of commuters braving the cars here in Levelland. <o:p></o:p>
    Now one thing my Strava account did for me was make it possible for me to easily figure out how poor the conversion was for my companies physical conditioning program. We have this moving thing every year. This year they gave out a $100 gift card for sports equipment, (nope to to the LBS dammit.), if I managed to average 15,000 steps per day. I did, by a good margin. I'd planned to double that figure but overtime, split shifts and weekend work put a stop to that. I only managed around 19,000 steps.<o:p></o:p>
    Now the odd thing was the company conversion said I'd walked 404 miles when in fact I'd walked only some of it and ridden 595 miles. A normal day at work just clocking my steps nets an average of 7,000 or so depending on how many trips I have to make across campus. I'd add to this by walking around the campus part way on my way to pick up lunch. <o:p></o:p>
    One tracking application I've used that was free and netted me some good results was this "Lose It" calorie counter. It too errored with higher calorie counts for some unlisted foods, but I figured that was fine. I liked how I could ride hard and eat more. <o:p></o:p>
    One day I managed to get to dinner with a 3,800 calorie surplus. Yeah, I was hungry. <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 12.75pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_1 alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\Users\nowelsre\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
    Using it I was able to knock about 8 pounds off, through running and cycling and watching what I ate. <o:p></o:p>
    The thing it did for me was focus my attention on sustainable diet and exercise.<o:p></o:p>
    Overtime caused that to fade away. Now that I'm traveling I have to watch my diet as I don't have the same access to exercise as I do at home. Working long hours really cuts into my exercise plans. <o:p></o:p>
    The key take-away for me is staying out of restaurants, and buying salad makings at the grocery store. And getting in a few runs when I can.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Labor Day weekend I get to fly home so I should be able to get at least two rides in. They won’t be epic rides in distance or effort, but I will enjoy my rides and track them. <o:p></o:p>
  9. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're not following the conversation, are you. Gummee (and some others) have made it perfectly clear by what they mean when they use the word 'racing'. They're referring to a sanctioned competition between multiple competitors on an established course according to certain established racing rules. That plainly has nothing to do with the sorts of things recorded on Strava, like climbing a hill 1/10 of a mile in length, or doing your fastest lap time around a course no more than 1.5 miles long. There are plenty of racers who use Strava and post these sorts of results, but I have yet to see a single one claiming they constitute 'race results'.

Your question, 'why post their results', only shows that you're unacquainted with Strava. When you upload a certain run that happens to coincide with any one of the millions of trail segments in Strava's database, it will automatically be entered on the leader board. Posting those results there is not a choice that I or anyone else makes; it's just the way Strava is set up to work. Does this occasionally give rise to some informal competition? Sure, just like I tend to push myself harder at the gym when I see someone else lifting more than I am, or ride a bit faster on the trail when someone passes me. That doesn't make it a race. :loco
  10. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    I guess you're missing MY point. People choose to use Strava - there's plenty other way to record your own personal performance. The users of Strava choose to use it and so they know they are indeed, willingly or otherwise, entering into a race.
  11. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    From this morning, I wish I had the ability to menuvar through obstacles like my quick and nimble riding partner. :D

[​IMG]
  12. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:

nice!
  13. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I've done it the other way. Got a nice ATK out of the deal.

Barter is a good thing. :nod

M
  14. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Those are called Time Trials. You go as fast as you can for X distance. Shortest time wins. I'd say that's racing.

That big strava lawsuit over some dood that got killed trying to get a downhill 'KOM' is all about this very topic. Velo News had an article about it. In short: strava is acting like a race promoter by setting up segments that people try to beat. They take no responsibility for safety unlike a race promoter.

...and I keep saying there's better ways to keep track of your numbers than stava. Privately. If you didn't want people to know how fast you're going, you'd use other software.

So I used to ride up the 101 in Sandy Eggo all the time. Used it for easy, flat rides (with lots of scenery). I had a neighbor that 'didn't race' that used to ride the same road(s) He'd brag all the time about how 'I dropped that guy... blah blah blah' I always humored him (gotta be on good terms with the neighbors) but always thought 'did that guy KNOW y'all were 'racing.' Its really easy to win a 1-horse race. :nod'

M
  15. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    :clap

I share your choice in breed of dog :D

What is he wearing :ear
  16. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a mountain bike that cost me more than a couple of the motorcycles I've owned. No regrets, as I've gotten many, many hours of fun out of that bicycle. I figure that at the end of the day, I'm not paying for a bicycle or motorcycle, but rather for the experiences that the bike or moto allows me to have.

If you didn't have the Dakar up for sale, would you consider paying cash for that bicycle? Or would you shop around for something less expensive?
  17. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    Thanks man.

It's a harness EZYDOG.COM that I use to attach him to my 26" cruiser on the local bike path. Hook'em up and go.

No need to be hooked up in the woods but I put it on him regardless of use, whenever we do anything bike related, just for association. He looks like this :happay every time I pull it out of the pantry.

You know the breed, an active Boxer is a happy Boxer both mentally and physically. :deal

[​IMG]
  18. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Well look at that - that is a neat idea.

I hear ya, mine sleeps 23 hours a day it seems but for that 1 hours he's awake, he's all energy :lol3
  19. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:

That's awesome. If I tried that with my little dog, I would be dragging him down the road within the first quarter mile. If I tried it with my big dog, he'd be dragging me down the road within the first 100ft. :lol3
  20. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    But not the kind of racing you approve of, apparently. :lol3

Why would you assume I'd want to keep my PR's a secret? I don't give a hoot whether my times are posted publicly or privately, so what would compel me to look for other software? So far I'm ranked 5th, 7th, 9th, and 18th on various leader boards. Many of the guys ahead of me are seasoned racers half my age. I don't have any illusions about beating their times, and I'm sure they aren't concerned about my PR's either. I'm not racing them and they're not racing me. These specious objections you're making suggest that you have some personal grudge against Strava, and that you're trying to invent reasons to justify it. :dunno