Why California? This is why... :)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Tyler, Jan 29, 2013.

1. jsg161968

jsg161968 daydreamer

Oddometer:
    California is the shit. I am very fortunate to live where I do and I know it. It really is The Golden State in so many ways. The culture, vibe, terrrain, topography and vastness are unique. Yeah there are some challenges and you all know them. But for me to be here is something that exceeds my dreams. I know it aint everyones cup of tea and that's cool, but I am grateful to be here for sure. California offers mass exploring and adventure in SO many mediums with proximity to the monstrous Western US which keeps my daydreams plenty occupied. The pics from the original post are delicious. Cool post, thanks !
  2. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah yeah, sunshine, beaches, surfing, flowers in January, purty trees sans leaves, ho hum. I, on the other hand, have lovely stuff like this to play in, seen on New Years Eve on a section of the Appalachian Trail near our home:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was so slick we could hardly walk, much less ride or even drive - had the truck chained up in 4X4 just to get to the trailhead.

Seriously, I've ridden a number of times in California and it is supreme. I lived for many years in Wyoming where I had about 7 months of riding, but if you timed it right (or loaded the bike in a truck or trailer) you could escape in Winter and ride in the southern US if you got desperate. I love Winter and snow, love the change of seasons, but have to admit that the older I get the less appealing it is. I've been amazed at how fast I've acclimated to the milder climate of Virginia after moving here from Wyoming. I certainly miss the glorious emptiness and skiing, but I do not miss the cold and deep snow (shovelling almost daily for five months :puke1).

These folks had another option for riding when the weather wasn't so good. They were two older couples who said they'd given up two wheels but not their love of riding. This was up on the Blue Ridge Parkway one day last Winter when it was closed to cars. We went up to ski but the snow was patchy so just walked:

[​IMG]

My wife loves to ride pillion and wants to learn to ride herself, has taken the MSF training, tried her own bike, but is very fearful of falling over and injuring herself. She was fascinated by the Urals but I don't think she's ever considered a Can Am. They look pretty cool and probably wouldn't be hard for her to learn since she wouldn't have to unlearn any two-wheeled habits.

It's 16 degrees outside today so I can really appreciate your gorgeous photos! Thanks for sharing, I hope you can get out and go ride a few miles on behalf of your snowbound fellow riders!

Doug
  3. flyingz06

flyingz06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True that. But 13.3% state income tax versus my 3.4. Plus many other taxes..........blue state
  4. Tgpatrsn

Tgpatrsn Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. pinocono

pinocono Fucking Pirate

Oddometer:
    Just checked my rate...and it's the same as you, 3.4%. And I'm well above poverty wages, LOL.
  6. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Oddometer:
    Guess you need to find a reason to come back out and visit your bike! ;)

I’ve done many of the roads around here multiple times but I’m always amazed at how there can always be one more gem to be found in them thar hills!

Snowy vistas are beautiful in their own right as well… I’m just a cold weather wimp so usually appreciate it from afar! Lol

Whereabouts in WY? A good friend of mine has a 2<sup>nd</sup> home in Powell… I love the small town atmosphere where everyone knows everyone… not something you find often in the big city… just real friendly folks.

I’m tentatively bookmarking 2014 for a 6-week US tour… so I may have to hit you up for some suggestions out your way to ride!

Good for them… that is hardcore! As stated previously, adaptation is good thing to be able to still do what you love to do!

The Urals are definitely a challenge to ride and balance around turns… coming from 2-wheels the Spyder takes some time to get used to but it’s just a different kind of fun once you get tuned into it… railing around those big open sweepers is a blast! Dealers are usually pretty good about letting folks take test rides (at least out here) so see if there is a local dealer that might do that for her. Happy to answer any questions you or she may have. J

7. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    dang Tyler beautiful pictures man!
  8. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics. Lived in Bay Area for 2 years and SoCal for 2 years. Loved all of it. Ended up (by choice) in Southern Utah. Scenery, low cost, and only a few (very) nice people. Weather is pretty good, too! :D

Just spent 4 days on the moto traveling back roads from Las Vegas to San Diego. CA does have a lot to offer the moto rider!

Thanks for your post. :wave
  9. flyingz06

flyingz06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What state r u in?
  10. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you get much rain in Nor Cal? How's the humidity in the summer?
  11. pinocono

pinocono Fucking Pirate

Oddometer:
    Denial...er...California.
  12. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Oddometer:
    Rain varies from year to year... we haven't had any torrential rains of late but there have been years where we have causing lots of flooding and mudslides in certain areas. Humidity is pretty much non-existent... it does get hot but not humid. :)
  13. mr openroad

mr openroad Target Fixated

Oddometer:
    I do miss the sunday morning ride out of marin and the REAL chinese food in SF.