WANTED: CENTRAL TEXAS ADVers

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by ghostrider1964, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    I was glad to see the giants win last night. Congrats.
  2. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Would like to, but can't that weekend. Now if you move it back a weekend, let me know.
  3. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    Figgered you had your kids on the weekends so I wasn't gonna ask/tease ya with the trip. The days are "etched in stone" as far as work time off is concerned... (I wouldn't wanna even think about askin for sumthin different than what I've been approved for) ...& Phil has to use his by March 2nd so we can't do it later.
  4. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Schickmeister- Check out the Marathon Motel for a cool place to stay in Marathon. Neat little casitas for around $70 per night. Also nice camping there. A great fireplace area outside makes for a great way to unwind after riding BB. Will be there this week-end.

And yes, Eli will finally earn some much deserved respect. Dude Rocks...and without attitude.
  5. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Home.
    [​IMG]

And +1 on the Giants' victory.
  6. Schickmeister

Schickmeister Youngin'

Oddometer:
    Glad you're home safe! I have no doubt it was awesome! :clap
  7. Schickmeister

Schickmeister Youngin'

Oddometer:
    Currently taking suggestions on the best roads in Big Bend....Obviously FM 170 is at the top for me (for now).

:ear
  8. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Been here a little too long

Oddometer:
  9. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    Not too many choices as far as paved stuff goes...but some of the other folks prob have dirt suggestions for ya.

FM170 from Study Butte to Presidio

FM118 from Kent to Study Butte....It's amazing ...how quickly you can get from Alpine to Study Butte on a Yamaha FJR!

US385 from Marathon to Panther Junction (I prefer 118 any day)

FM2627 just north of the 385 park entrance...Never been down this road but Stillwell Crossing Rd branches off of it & looks interesting (gravel ? sand??)

Rio Grande Village Rd from Panther Junction to the river (paved)

Ross Maxwell Scenic Dr from Maverick Dr (main park rd) to Santa Ellena Canyon on the river (paved)

Basin Dr from Maverick up to the Basin

US67 from Marfa to Presidio
  10. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I have some maps and a BB routing guide I can loan ya. I'd suggest not riding the rougher park roads by yourself on your bike. Find a buddy or stay on the improved roads. Think deep sand sections.
  11. Schickmeister

Schickmeister Youngin'

Oddometer:
    Yea I'll probably be alone, so definitely the maintained stuff or pavement for me. Mama didn't raise no fool. :lol3
  12. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
  13. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
  14. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
  15. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    David. As humiliating as it is to admit, I have yet to do any of the back-country BB roads. I have always been there with groups that include street only riders and have never been there on anything smaller than a 1150GS. I know from the nephews that big bikes can be quite a handful on roads that you and your little bike would eat up (Glen Canyon for one). From pics Black Gap and it's rock step-ups would be very challenging on a big bike. I don't think I'm in near good enough shape to try it. The long sand washes would keep me off the River Road on the big bike unless I had those big giant nephews along to bail me out of a jam.

That being said, I don't think I'd hesitate trying anything out there on the KLR with knobby shoes.
  16. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:

This is kinda why I'm asking, I definitely do not want to get in over my head on a dirt road. I found out the hard way that some of these dirt roads in the BB area are very rough. I am in horrible shape and picking up the big beast 1150 is tough enough on level ground. Drop it on sloped ground with the handlebars downhill and its a two person job (IMHO). The KLR, for all its shortcomings, is an easier bike to manage on some of these roads and rides way better than the WR on FM's and highways. Its also cheaper to fix than a BMW.

I'm about 60% sure I'm taking the KLR to Alaska. In case its muddy on those gravel roads, the KLR will be easier to manage and pick up. Plus, I'm planning on selling it up there and I really don't want to sell the GS.

I need to get out to BB before it gets hot.
  17. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Quite simply, I couldn't do it. And yup. I have had occasion to try.
  18. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    To be honest, I'm not sure I could now. I dropped the other one only once before the crash and managed to pick it up. Now, maybe not. I did stupidly drop the KLR in garage last month and got it up no problem. I'm trying really hard NOT to drop the new-to-me GSA. Anyway, that WR almost pops up on its own, comparatively. :lol3
  19. Schickmeister

Schickmeister Youngin'

Oddometer:
    I picked up my fully fueled GSA once. In a parking lot.

A ... Starbucks ... parking lot.

True story.

:gdog
  20. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Ride up to Chisos Basin Lodge for a buffalo burger after hiking Sta. Elena canyon. Then hike to The Window in the basin. Take shoes good for slickrock.

If you ride to Presidio consider crossing into Ojinaga and riding in about 25 miles on the Chihuahua Hwy to see Peguis Canyon. Nice little adventure.