Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jpooch00

jpooch00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found out that you are required to get that 15,000 mile, $1200-$1300 service at 24 months regardless of mileage. I guess these engines wear even when they aren't running!

Of course, that would only be relevant if you had an extended warranty, since the factory warranty expires at 24 months anyway.
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    That might be for the timing belts, as they can deteriorate (rubber) even when not moving.
  3. jpooch00

Oddometer:
    I guess that might be part of it. But don't most timing belts on other vehicles usually go for like 5 years or 60,000 miles or something like that?

Also, they specify that the valves have to be checked/adjusted every 24 months, regardless of mileage, plus a bunch of other stuff too, I think. I just don't get that. :ear
  4. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    The other testastrettas have a2 year "limit" on the belts....so that makes since....I guess.
  5. jpooch00

Oddometer:
    Well, it DOES sell a lot of them high-priced belts, anyway. :wink:
  6. Bubba Satori

Bubba Satori Finding my way home

Oddometer:
    <object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IqBMvWRKB_c&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IqBMvWRKB_c&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>
  7. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    The MTS is making my Tiger very uneasy. :eek1
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Most bikes have a time and mileage clause in their service schedule. It's pretty normal that the brake fluid and coolant are replaced every two years. From what I've learned from the local Ducati club members is that the belts can go past 2 years, but should a belt break, you're stranded.

The timing belt in my honda vehicle is rated for 7 years or 100,000 miles. Makes you wonder why not have a longer life belt in the new multi engine.

Well, no one buys a Ducati to save money on service, at least the valve interval is now at 24,000 km. I'm meeting with the Ducati dealer in about a week and we will go over the entire maintenace schedule and I've asked him to price each one for me. I want to have a clear picture of the cost of ownership and then make my decision. I'll also get a test ride :ricky
  9. sailwa66

sailwa66 Captain Cheap A**

Oddometer:
    Which is exactly why I called :topesthe first time I heard about Ducati's "New Lower Maintenance Cost" propoganda/hogwash. Just how do they figure $1200 every 15k is lower than $600 every 7.5k?

And 9 hours to service???

Me, my inner luddite, and my accountant are quite happy with the sub-$200/sub-3-hour/can-be-done-with-hand-tools-in-the-driveway service requirement of my Multi Classic.
  10. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    Per the new Ducati Multistrada 1200 Service Tech class, belts are changed at the 5 year mark. They have a video of testing at the Pirelli test track with multiple riders. 25,000 miles logged at full throttle before failure. The failure was the belts and one chain went also. I think that's quite reasonable.
  11. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    I'll break it down AS WRITTEN BY DUCATI in the tech training for the Multistrada:

600 mile service = 1.4 hours
    7500 mile (or annual) service = 1.5 which is an oil change
    15,000 mile service (no time requirement) = 6 hours which includes the desmo valve service

Coolant and fluids at 36 months/ 3 years
    Belts at 60 months/ 5 years

The talk about the 15,000 mile service being required at 24 months is incorrect. What is required at 15,000 or 24 months is the third oil and filter change (600 mile, 7,500 mile, 15,000 mile, etc...). The actual 15,000 mile service including valves has no time requirement - it is at 15K miles.

The fact that the service time for the 15,000 mile service is spec'ed at 6 hours @ flat rate means that it is truly half of the previous service requirement (which was actually spec'ed a little over 6 hours).

Hope this calms some of the fears about 12 hour services - they don't exist.
    This is an extremely easy Ducati to service, it was designed very thoughtfully with maintenance in mind.:clap
  12. GB

Oddometer:
    Thanks Stagecoach, this is the kind of CONFIRMED information we need. 5 years on the belts is plenty reasonable.

Any word about the brake bleeding mileage/timeline? (or is that included in the 3 year fluids cycle? Is the ABS brake bleed any more complicated than bleeding regular hydraulic brakes? (used to own a BMW with servo's so I have to ask :lol3)

There's no separate transmission oil, right? It's all in one engine?
  13. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Stagecoach for the data from Ducati on the service requirements.

My local Ducatti dealer in Sunnyvale, CA is nice enough to be a little more thorough I suppose, because they let me know they have a 9 hour charge for every MTS 1200 15K service. I'm so happy my dealer is concerned enough about my bike to put in the extra 3 hours over and above what Ducati recommends.
  14. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    They try to rip you off (as you seem to know when I read your line correctly). As they tried to rip me off when I wanted to buy an ST1300 from them:

$11999 advertised price ("new" 2007 model, no ABS, last summer)
    + $4500 fees and tax.

OTD price at a different dealer for the same bike was $12799.

I rather ride a Vespa scooter for the rest of my life before I buy anything from them.
  15. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    Gadget Boy,

Brake bleeding is at 36 months/ 3 years (I would recommend 2 years personally). Bleeding the brakes is as easy as a non-ABS system. No separate transmission oil - all in one.

As a side note - every Multi comes with 3 lock cylinders (the S Touring has 2 already installed in side cases) for a top and sidecases to key the same as the gas cap (no actual keyed ignition, fob only). Of course, you can replace the gas cap with a fob-activated lock unit - so you would only need a key for the bags.

Along with the fob (which has a pop-out key) you receive a back-up "red key" that can activate the ignition when waved over the dashboard. This is not the old red key that, if lost, meant buying a new ECU - merely a back-up. If you have ridden away from your fob after it activated the ignition, the dashboard will warn you that you have exceeded the operational proximity. In that case, ride back or the next time you shut it off, it's off. The back-up solution to that situation is to set a PIN. You can then enter that PIN on the dash to activate the ignition (for 15 seconds after entering the number). So conceivably you don't need a key or fob, but it's a bit of a pain.
  16. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't this an interference engine? Valves can hit the pistions if the belt breaks? If thats the case your not only stranded but skrewed......I figured it was but it would be great if it isn't, what about a Ducati 2v 900 (in my GC) I'd be happy to find out it's not, always assumed it was but i'm no duc expert by a long shot.
  17. GB

Oddometer:
    I **think** it's an interference engine, but I'm not sure.. at any rate, if Ducati says 5 years on the belts, I certainly wouldn't go any more than that. I don't think I've ever kept any bike I've owned for 5 years. :lol3 :baldy
  18. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    I'm just going to throw this out there, you make the call...
    I work at a Ducati dealership that does moderate service volume, including Desmosedicis and racebikes. Since the advent of the current Ducati belt system starting with the Paso in 1988, we have seen 0 (zero) belt failures. Same belts in World Superbike Racing. Belts can break if something else larger fails, but not likely on their own. To worry about belt failure on this bike is a poor allocation of your time :D
  19. GB

Oddometer:
    So it is an interference engine?

Thanks for the details on the keyless ignition. That's the icing on the cake.. gotta love being able to get on the bike and ride without fumbling for a key.
  20. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    Interference, yes.

Many, many interesting features on thus bike. I'm getting a black S Touring. Should be arriving first week of May. I can't wait, and from what I've seen, I have no worries about the electrics, maintenance, or durability.