Whoot "new" bike 98' Triumph Trophy

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by elementalg20, Oct 21, 2012.

1. elementalg20

elementalg20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally got a few pics added below for those who requested :) Yeah....I'm slow.....

I picked up a 98' 1200 Trophy, throttlemeister, corbin w/ back rest and stock bags w/ 33k miles. It's got a stage 1 jet kit in int and supposedly dyno'd quite well(I'd say the number but I don't think it's right lol). Either way, she fires right up and pulls smooth all the way up, after about 1800rpm it's fantastic. It also has new fork seals/fluid, and a set of gen mar risers installed, wish it was heli's but I'll take them.

I rode it about 150 miles home, mostly interstate at 80mph plus(not being stupid, traffic was hauling ass) and it did quite well despite really needing new shoes. Cosmetically it's definately been dropped on each side but I don't require a bike to be show room clean as long as it's mechanically sound and priced right and I think it was a steal.

It does need new tires, chain and sprockets, and I'm not totally sure about the front brakes. The lever pull seems to require greater effort than I feel is right. Initial pull makes for decent braking power, but if you want real power it requires alot of effort and the master cylinder even makes a little noise if you pull the lever hard. I plan to rebuild it(I think a zrx1200 kit works for this) and possibly swap in some busa' calipers.

At any rate, I'm pretty excited about this bike and plan to dress it up and clean it up over winter should make a nice traveling bike. I do think I'll gear it so it's running a few less rpm's at highway speed in hopes of gaining a couple mpg...this baby drinks fuel, really my only complaint so far other than the brakes.

Any one know where to go for "all things trophy" online? I know it's not an st11 or connie in terms of an online following....
  2. Dunewar

Dunewar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pics please! I've been looking at this bike as well... or the 900 version.
  3. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    Nice bike, I love those.

I do t have any Trophy-specific advice other than I wouldn't "upgrade" to Busa calipers. I rode a ZRX which has the same front calipers and despite the six pistons and cool looking gold finish, they are not that great. I believe the internal passages were designed by Satan himself to defy bleeding, making you use your entire vocabulary of curses and ensuring your eternal damnation.

The popular upgrade among the ZRX crowd is to two piston calipers from an SV I believe.
  4. cascadetiger

cascadetiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    33,000 miles is just broken in. I have a 98 TIger with 30,000 miles. Great motors!
  5. Ddouble

Ddouble Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go here for info: http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/

These are great bikes. High quality, and hell for strong.They handle fairly well, but are heavy. There are just a few design weaknesses. I don't know a great deal about the 4 cylinder 1200s, but I imagine they share the same issues as the 900s - weak starter sprag clutch, alternator drive, ignition coils...

This was Triumphs re-entry into the modern motorcycle industry, and they were careful not to blow it. They built a very reliable bike.

My '98 Sprint Exec has about 105,000 miles on it and is going strong!
  6. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    www.triumphrat.net is my go to site for brand specific info. Congrats! They're run all around bikes that go forever. Keep the battery topped up and you shouldn't have to worry about the sprag either. My Daytona stays on a tender when not in use.
  7. Trophy1298

Trophy1298 Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I bought one new in 1998, put over 80,000 miles on it and at the time I sold it would have taken it anywhere. Guy who bought it from me is still riding it, no idea how many miles are on it now.

A few upgrades that made a world of difference. 1. race Tech Springs and emulators in the forks. No more front end dive. 2. K&N air filter and pipe mod (7/8 hole saw to the baffle) Better sound and increase in power and MPGs. 3. Side bag attachment mod (I lost a bag at interstate speed b/c of the lacking attachment system) You can drill the bag where the rubber stopper is and use a longer bolt to attach bag to bike. I used a wingnut so it could still be easily removed. And last, depends on your height, windscreen. I bought the Cee Bailey's tallest screen. Really helps the buffeting.

Sold my 1200 4 or so years ago and found another a few weeks ago (900) :D.

Good luck with the bike, they are great.
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:

You can find more in depth Triumph info at www.triumphtorque.com Those guys know their Triumphs. And I'd like to find a nice 1200 Trophy myself.
  10. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    I put the 6-piston calipers off a Super III onto my '98 Sprint. It would stop! They were in the Triumph accessory catalog at the time. I'd try to source a set of those.

I also went with the chain and sprocket set off a Steamer Tiger on my Sprint Executive. The gearing change really woke the bike up!
  11. elementalg20

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Ok, finally got a day it wasn't raining to snap a few pics. She isn't a beauty queen but it's not bad for a 98' I suppose. [​IMG]
  12. Dunewar

Dunewar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! I'm not sure about the backrest though...
  13. elementalg20

Oddometer:
    Busa calipers will indeed fit it, I think those, maybe a master? and some race tech springs and some emulators and she'd be awesome....time will tell. I have to get my KTM squared away and sold first to fund any real mods to this machine. This one may well be my keeper......
  14. Pigford

Pigford British

Oddometer:
    Suzuki 6-pots are much better than the Kawasaki 6-pots (suffer less from corrosion).....

BUT if you want GOOOOOD brakes, go for the 4-pots off older GSXR or Bandit - this is known to be a good choice for performance, rather than bling :wink:
  15. elementalg20

Oddometer:
    I can't say I've decided but it seems there are tons of opinion on what calipers are better. I'd be all for up grading and I'm not converned about the "bling" factor I'm concerned about having some feel, and some bite.

I may well just flush the system and get some HH pads and hope for the best.....I don't know.

I think for the money I may well go with a set of Pilot Road 2's, $267 for a pair shipped seems like a great deal, no they aren't the 3's but they were considered near or at the top of the heap before the 3's came out.
  16. srelegante

srelegante srelegante Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am a long time Triumph owner-3 Triples, now on a 2002 Trophy 1200.

Having just bought the bike in March, I am still sorting it out. I love the bike immensely and plan on keeping it for 100k or more.

FWIW-I have done:

-Nology coils and wires (and plugs of course)
    -Pingle fuel tap (eliminates the vaccum line!)
    -K & N filter (and airbox mod)
    -New fuel lines and filters
    -Bridgestone tires (really like them so far-about 800 miles)
    -Linear, .90 Racetech springs, new oil and fork seals
    -Alarm bypass

The bike already had a new chain and sprockets.

I did not see if yours was the 900 or the 1200. They are both great bikes, IMHO.

I consider these updates to very important to an older Trophy, almost essential. They have some weak points which will leave you if not addressed. I second the suggestion to keep the battery strong, maybe even buy an new one every 12 months or so.

If you do your own maintainence, obtain a shop manual, order the parts and you will have a field day bonding with your new steed. She will leave many a fancy newer bike in her wake and take you and your lady touring in a heartbeat.

Drop me a note anytime if I can help. The fellas on the Yahoo! Hinkley Triumph Trophy group are really helpful, as are the other Triumph boards.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/

Lastly, don't miss the the 2013 RAT Ride!!

Curt

Link to the Alaska trip (on the Tiger) in 2012 with dad- www.ATLtotheArctic.com (go to the 2012 blog)

Pics of the Trophy

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=c0197ae116aea4db&sid=0AatW7No4aMmTpA