Michigan Helmet Laws - A Detailed Look Into a Newly Helmetless State

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Anywhereness, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Anywhereness

Anywhereness Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year Michigan repealed their compulsorily helmet law, which went into effect in early April 2012.

Here's an overview:
    http://www.mlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2012/12/paul_keep_what_was_learned_in.html

Here's even more detail they offer (from the first page link)
    http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/12/search_for_motorcycle_crashes.html

I imagine right now many who have had their license for awhile are comfortable with a helmet and don't buy into the helmetless argument. It will be interested to check back in a few years as new riders start up and many of whom will not be using helmets because the law permits it.
  2. ray h

ray h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your new found freedom of choice.
  3. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    Oh man, don't get me fired up about the helmet thing again. :dog..couldn't you have waited until after the holidays?:rofl
  4. ray h

ray h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't be held responsible for your emotional state.:evil
  5. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no problem with it. I'm not barred from wearing my helmet and we do need the organ donations. :evil. I was out on a three week long ride when it was signed into law. Crossing the border back into Michigan, I didn't notice hardly any riders who had shed their helmets. The ones I have seen since are the usual cruiser suspects who also ride bar to bar. Yes, it seems like there has been an increase in reported motorcycle fatalities since.
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let those who ride decide. Keep your laws off my person.

#46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Canada, all provinces and territories have mandatory helmet laws, and have been for years now.

Why can't all states just impose mandatory helmet laws, and put an end to the discussion once and for all.
  8. RogerWilco

RogerWilco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why can't all states just permit fully grown adults the freedom to choose for themselves, and put an end to the discussion once and for all? Or, better yet, just outlaw all those dangerous motorcycles, which are very,very dangerous regardless of whether the rider is, or is not, helmeted.
    I personally do ride with a helmet and live in a no-helmet state, while I ride my very,very dangerous motorcycle.
  9. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No fault insurance in a crash? What is that bullcrap?

Seriously?

So someone crashes into me and I have to pay for some of the damages?
  10. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it doesn't make much difference in injuries here in Florida which is now helmet optional because the riders that don't wear a helmet now are the ones that use to wear the useless novelty helmets.

I use to wear a good quality helmet before they were mandatory and still do wear a good quality full face helmet.

Would you play football without a helmet?
  11. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because that's ethically wrong. It's coercion; it's force; it's a violation of the rights of free people to make their own choices about their own lives.

That's why.

+1. This.

PhilB
  12. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    You're aware that it works differently for motorcycles? It only covers a motorcyclist who has contact with a non-motorcycle. Single vehicle accidents are not covered. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis/ip227_172811_7.pdf

And let's tell the world that it costs $175 PER VEHICLE, per year!

So we pay the same rate as a car, but are only eligible for half the benefits. Sucks, doesn't it?
  13. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

This....:freaky
  14. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Explain to me the basis of seat belt laws then. All 50 states require their use. :deal
  15. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    No one mentioned why the helmet law was rescinded in the first place?.....It's all about the bucks baby! Tourism bucks! Texas T$$$$$:clap
  16. ttpete

Oddometer:
    For any vehicle with a historic plate or an authentic original one, the MCCA fee is $35.
  17. Buzz363

Buzz363 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember Jay Leno describing his Buick Roadmaster. " No padded dashboard on this baby. You hit your head on that , they just hose it off and sell it to the next guy".

It does open up emotional discussions. We certainly do legislate a lot of safety rules and for the most part we follow them. I don't wear a helmet on bicycle rides although I insisted my kids wore them. Riding a motorcycle on a rural road is different than a busy urban street. Why does the same law govern both activities?
  18. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

NOT True 49 states have it, New Hampshire does not...Live Free or Die :D

The Fed blackmailed the states by withholding DOT funds if they didn't pass it...
  19. ttpete

Oddometer:
    I saw one of those old Buicks that hit a concrete abutment at 80 mph. Engine was in the passenger compartment and the steering wheel stuck out from the rear window. That was a shovel and bucket recovery.
  20. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    49 states. But I get your point.