Kawasaki take notice, another Ninja Mutant is being built

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by pjm204, Oct 25, 2011.

1. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Awesome work looks great
  2. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir, hopefully I get more done next weekend. It is absurd how long some stuff can take.
  3. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Believe me, I understand:lol3
  4. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The headlight mount took me most of a day. But stopping for lunch, dinner, helping my friend with his bike, it all adds up.

We'll see if I can get the headers, skidplate, OR crash bars done next weekend.

The headlight also makes the steering a bit twitchy, likely from the additional weight. I'm thinking a conventional style steering stabilizer might be a good addition. I have a Scott's steering damper but I don't seen a good way to mount it with how I have things laid out.
  5. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Search this site.There are a few good write ups on homemade spring compressors on the cheap.

I have one on another forum. http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=41239
  6. ggoytia

ggoytia Mobile Fatso

Oddometer:
    Awesome looking bike!
    Was looking for an idea on the spring clamp!
    Thanks!
  7. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm..the spring on a gs500 is a lot lighter than these springs. The one I'm putting on is a 750 pound spring. I sort of doubt those would hold up, could be very dangerous.
  8. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    after seeing the pics of your shop i want to encourage you to do a custom swingarm/subframe. the r1 shock is so "last year" and might clash with that cool dez lamp:D
  9. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    haha. While it is obvious I have the tools necessary to do a swingarm and subframe, this shop is 60+ miles from my house and I have no car/truck. So any work I start has to leave the bike in a position I can ride it home whenever the work day is over. I am very lucky my friend works at this shop and allows me to work on my bike here. Maybe someday I will get to bigger and better mods for this bike but for now it seems like it will do everything I want it to.
  10. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This bike is amazing, I got the R1 shock on there with a Yamaha Warrior spring(13kg/mm). I haven't dialed it in perfectly but it is so much better. I've had the tire rubbing on the underseat though, need to figure that out.

Sadly I still haven't finished the following:

headers
    skidplate
    crash bards
    steering locks
    ignition mounts
    muffler (thinking titanium R1 muffler)

I've been riding it off road every night this week, the headlight is amazing.
  11. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I listed my bike for sale, and it sold. I think I'm going to regret it and I'll likely be on the lookout for another ninja/versys this winter.
  13. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in 2012 this bike sold to a fella in Nebraska. He flew out and rode it back to the midwest. After riding it a few thousand miles he broadsided a car that pulled out in front of him. Insurance totalled it and I was fortunate enough to buy it from him. It is still alive and I was pretty impressed with it the little I have ridden it. I am looking forward to some quality time with it this year. Maybe even a ride report. recent pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Doesn't look like much damage was done to the bike. I have a mutant Ninja and have wondered what the insurance company would say if i had to make a claim....WTF:lol3
  15. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, I wish I had bought that back. WHERE IS THE DAMAGE?
  16. edstoll

Oddometer:
    I have a copy of the damage estimate. It says $6500. The shop must not have wanted to work on it. I didn't have to replace much to get it going. A few scratches otherwise just adds character.
  17. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well you got a solid deal on it and I think you'll enjoy it.

1) reroute exhaust
    2) modify oil pan
    3) add skidplate/crash bars
    4) add stronger front brake (likely bigger rotor and different master cylinder.
  18. edstoll

Oddometer:
    As far as modifications go I have put on a lowering link, slid the forks up, added hand guards, handlebar risers and a windshield. No doubt it needs a larger front rotor and some under belly protection. I am going to add some luggage for multi day camping trips this spring as I have a gravel / dirt gps route to go prove up. I haven't ridden it lowered yet but it sure handled well on gravel how it was. That parallel twin is sweet.
  19. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Life has gotten in the way of my motorcycle habit. Does anybody want to buy this bike. I have not had the chance to ride it but about 20 miles. It just as well go to somebody that will use it. Pm me.