BigDog/Dingweeds/Baja/2013

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by BigDogAdventures, Jan 29, 2013.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scott----the first time I went that was my expectations also. But there is this huge tall rugged mountain range going the whole length of Baja----some times hugging the coast so close that no roads can be built. For the ordinary traveler (car, big bike) there are few places to cross these mountains. And those cactuses---man I love those things.

It always seems when I travel I get this idea of what it is going to be like--------and am always totally wrong.

BigDog
  2. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:

First thing I though of was fuel range my self. :clap
    On Trailers, Like you, done been on icey snowy roads way back in '66 in South Dakota on a Triumph 650 with everything I owned on it. Never gonna happen again. Has not. Another thing drives me to trailering or the moto tote for my truck, Hot 95 to 105 degree weather with 100 % humidity. Just not fun. The older I get , the less fun.
    But, working on losing the Bandit and getting a Husky like yours. Then , sob, :cry , Probably selling the KLR since the Terra would do it all for what I plan in the future.
    What my Brain wants to do and what my body will do is two different things as I quickly approach 70 years on this earth and feel all the old injuries more and more. So it's gonna be Truck to where I really want to ride , Ride, and Truck back to Southwest Louisiana where it's 70 F and sunshine at this moment.
    Waiting on all the rest of the report Mark and sorry your pard was injured. Also loving the Mobus trips
  3. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    January 25th, 2013
    Our lovely Palapas to the United States.

We packed up early in the morning.
    And it was here I fully realizex and I guess Scott did too how bad he was hurt.
    He was laying flat in his tent on his back----and couldn't roll over or sit up by himself.
    I guess if somebody had heard him they would have thought I was stickin' a knife in him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But he got on his bike and I heard a big !!!
    "Wahooooooooooo" !!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Scott ripped off 2 really good pics as we rode slowly North on the ordinary route.
    Pavement started about 3 miles North of the Alfinsino's turnoff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the new pavement-------I was reminiscing about the old unpaved route I could see closer to the sea--they left a lot of it.

[​IMG]

The border crossing took 17 seconds---and we were on our way back to my tow vehicle------ then back
    to Scotts in Tuscon where we just relaxed for a day before I headed home.
    Traffic was backed up as usual at the border----but we were directed to the "Special" lane and off we went.

I figured this might be my last trip to Baja------not so.
    We are coming back for sure.

Now back at home ------------I'm looking at 3" of fresh snow.
  4. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I'm thinkin I agree with you----where you are with your life and riding Andy---the TR650 will be good for you---I'm 5'11" and am flat footed on the thing---never thought I'd like that---but you get older----feels good and far fewer tip-overs----and none so far. The Husky will go somewhere far this year---just don't know where yet.

The WR is a very tall bike-----------I have tip-overs with it--but still riding some tough terrain sometimes----but as the years pass I'll have to back off that.

Mark
  5. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    Hi Big Dog, love your reports! I have noticed that your have run many different tail bags on the 250, which one have you liked best? I know you have run the Wolfman Peak, and now the Wolf Tail. I think I have also seen you run the small motofizz... I just wanted to get your take based on all of your experience.

Thanks!

Janssen
  6. caljw

caljw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big Spag...Mark is right Baja is more fun on a smaller bike but Baja can be done on your GS. I've taken my 1150GS on a few trips and never had any major issues, just be careful on your route selection. Most of what BigDog did here with the exeption of that back way out of Mike's is doable on a big bike. http://www.gpsxchange.com is a great resource. Good luck with the trip.
    Mark....really enjoyed to report lots of good intel there.:freaky
  7. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Hi Janssen----it depends on the trip which bag i run-------most of my trips I was carrying quite a bit of camping gear--------and cooking gear and used the small wolfman expedition tail bag. This trip we both dropped the cooking gear and I strapped on the Wolfman "wolftail" bag which is way bigger than the peak----it's expandable and has 3 nice big outside pockets---------first time use for this trip ------it worked out great--and I ordered the optional rain cover and had it with me. I bought the wolftail for the Husky TR650 Terra----but it's works great on the WR too.

I still have 2 motofizz bags-----------medium and small----I don't see me using them anymore --------especially the medium one---------it is huge and they have a bigger one that I'd only use in the trunk of the car !!!!
    I stuck the medium motofizz on the 950 occasionally--------it seemed to overwhelm it. The 950 is gone---sold it 2 days ago.

The Peak never gets used------except on day rides----- maybe.

Funny---------of all my bikes ----------the WR250R is the one I've chose for my longest and most grueling rides. It's the bike for adventure travel that will be the least likely to turn you away from nasty terrain. It's what I hated about my old GS and even the 950. Great bikes---but will turn me away from some nasty riding--------or make it miserable. And if you can't pick it up---it's unnerving to be riding alone on a big bike.

I never ride my WR on day rides it seems.

Mark
  8. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    Mark,

Thank you so much! Most of my rides are day rides due to time, and I also agree with downsizing bikes. I have owned a 950, DR650 and KLR650 and I am loving this 250. Just does it all. Thanks again!
  9. DingWeed

DingWeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark,
    Thanks for another GREAT ride my friend!!!:clap:clap
    I can't wait to go back!!!:freaky

Scott
  10. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:

Yes it was great----------short but sweet--------we will be back !!!!!!!

Mark
  11. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    :clap :freaky

Your Baja story got me so worked up…..I had to go for a long ride on my Terra today. Over hill & dale, thru mud & rocks, 350 miles roundtrip down to Heavener JUST to get me a real authentic (Baja style) trailer taco and pure Mexican Coke!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mmmmm….muy bueno. I feel so much better. Got my fix and came back home to finish your RR.

I see LOTS of potential down there. Yes siree.

HF :jose

p.s. what a trooper....'ol Dingleweeds! Tough old fart, I think.
  12. dogmoon

dogmoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report and pictures BigDog, dag gum it I was hopin you would have used that jetboil thing I had so much trouble with a few years ago:wink:, maybe next time; I enjoy your ride reports I have one question how would a DRZ 400 have done on this trip?
  13. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hi BigDog,

Love your ride reports ... :ricky

I'm wondering if you had any route intel that encouraged you to leave Mike's Sky Ranch to the southeast rather than to the southwest?

I've heard the roads up there have all been damaged by storms since I went to the southwest with a loaded KLR ... guess that used to be the "easy" way ... your southeast way seemed pretty tough ...

hope to see you around the campfire, someday,
    -- SFMCjohn
  14. DingWeed

Oddometer:
    Hey HF,
    That is sure an authentic looking Taqueria!!!
    Glad you got your Baja fix!!
    Thanks for the kind words!
    Scott
  15. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    A DRZ would have been great in my opinion-------I had the first year model---put lots of miles on that bike---I guess that was a 2000 model. We left the cooking stuff at home on this trip to lighten the load---we carried lots of snacks and water---and ate at a roadside restaurant whenever we could. Our trip was cut so short----we'd still be down there if Scott hadn't got hurt.

I really had no intell------but had tracks of the way we went and the Southwest route and just picked one. The Southwest route ran into our route at one point---and right where they joined is where Scott got hurt---and it was still tough after that--------your right----------the roads were unbelievably washed out---that was what made it so tough.

Mark
  16. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Great read Mark. Always enjoy your rr's.

Glad DW is on the mend. Cracked ribs, no fun for sure.
  17. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Another great ride report that created a lot of stories, those ridin' buddy moments that you guys will be laughing and talking about for years!!

Scott.. wow.. what a way to tough it out!! I cracked a rib playing hockey 6 weeks before I was heading out to Idaho.. the doc told me "at about 4-5 weeks the pain will be gone BUT give it at least another week or.. the pain will be back"!! Sure enough about 4.5 weeks my pain was gone.. I could actually sleep and breathe again.. I gave it one more week then I was back playing hockey and ........... set out for Idaho to ride!!!

Sucker hurt bad.. think I would of rather passed another kidney stone than go through that again.. :D At least your not in as much pain for so long..

Heal up.. and hope to ride with you soon :)
  18. DingWeed

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the kind words Guys!!!

Thanks for more "Rocking chair memories" Mark!!!!

Great job on the RR :clap:clap:clap

WaaaaaaaaHooooooooooo!!!!

Scott
  19. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Mark, great report as usual. Sorry your ride was cut short, was looking forward to meeting both of you. DingWeed, heal up quick, their is always next year. Hasta Manana.
  20. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice stuff in here - really enjoyed the gps tracks tied to the photos :freaky