02/26/05 Hill Country ride - back roads & gravel

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by formulals1, Feb 17, 2005.

1. formulals1

formulals1 Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would anyone have interest in a nice one day ride in the Hill Country going down old back roads? Typically go from Spring Branch to Llano via twisty and hilly small farm roads where lots of suspension travel is very handy. This trip should include the long stretch of gravel roads south of Llano through click. We will most likely encounter more farm animals on these roads vs. vehicles.

Main ride would start in Spring Branch about 9:00am. I will head out from the New Braunfels area to Spring Branch. If we get the ride set-up I'll post more info with route maps.

I will limit myself to only a few third gear wheelies and 30ft stoppies this time (my GS is getting old). :wink:

**** Ride Update ************************************
    Ok, Let's make the Diamond fuelling station in Spring Branch (map below) the main meeting location on 02/26/05 9:00am. Why don't we try to park the bikes near the benches/tables on one side of the store. Departure time should be something like 9:15am. We can figure out lunch plans later.

Spring Branch is a very small town at the interstection of 281 & 311 with one fueling station.

02/26/05 9:00am meeting location (Spring Branch):
    [​IMG]
  2. scottabshire

scottabshire IMissMyKTM

Oddometer:
    We could meet you down there and then ride all day. Wife may want to tag along. We don't ride fast just safe and have fun. I am an experienced rider but have a fairly new bike (only 800 miles) so am still getting used to it. Have been wanting to do some dirt roads and will be doing some tomorrow.
    Scott A
  3. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great ride! I live in San Marcos and could ride to Spring Branch too. I have a yellow 2005 F650GS that is begging me for some "rough" riding - unless my girlfriend wants to tag along...
  4. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    Man, those babies are taking a serious g load and still perfectly shaped. :eek1

Guess they're no real or they'd be drag'n on the pavement.
  5. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Well, bad news and good news:

Good: I have just accpeted a job abroad. Job starts in a few months
    Bad: I have to sell my bike. Please pass the word. I have placed and ad on the flea market forum for my bike. 2005 Yellow F650GS, less than 700 miles. 1st service done by dealer. Dakar smoked screen, Dakar hand protectors, heated handgrips, ABS, taller Dakar seat AND original seat, all-weather cover. I am asking for $8,100. Please email me for a picture or if interested. Thanks.
  6. elektron

elektron effin ef

Oddometer:
    hehe.. sounds like fun.. i work a wierd schedule, so depending on how long i sleep i'd like to tag along.. but if i miss you guys, i just might use your maps sometime.. sounds like fun.. river crossings :-)
  7. andruboz

andruboz Serial overfiller

Oddometer:
    a bunch a folks will be leaving new braunfels' Rudy's bbq at 8:30 saturday morning for marble falls. will probably hit some of the twistys you are thinking of but avoid the gravel. some gsxr's and ducattis just don't get gravel.

the plan is on www.twtex.com under 'upcoming rides' i think. pie run part 2.
    he's got 15-20 on his list but they aren't all coming from new braunfels so hopefully it won't turn into a hurry up and wait dog and pony show.
  8. formulals1

Oddometer:
    Ok, Let's make the Diamond fuelling station in Spring Branch (map below) the main meeting location on 02/26/05 9:00am. Why don't we try to park the bikes near the benches/tables on one side of the store. Departure time should be something like 9:15am. We can figure out lunch plans later.

Spring Branch is a very small town at the interstection of 281 & 311 with one fueling station.

02/26/05 9:00am meeting location (Spring Branch):
    [​IMG]
  9. formulals1

Oddometer:
    Well, not sure who plans on attending the ride, but the weather forecast doesn't look so bad. What's new? Another weekend of clouds. If you're thinking about making it, drop a post here.
  10. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I am still thinking about making it but the weather will be the deciding factor for me. Today is pretty miserable...
  11. formulals1

Oddometer:
    Man, the weather does now look like crap again for Saturday. I’ll just have to make the trip for another day when it can be more enjoyable. The GS on these gravel roads when wet can be ugly (I know). Last two times I’ve planned this trip it’s rained pretty hard and the fun factor just isn’t the same. Until next time.
  12. formulals1

Oddometer:
    Yep, today would have bit on the bike - nothing but constant rain. Although, several forecast are now saying tomorrow (even the morning) will be pretty nice. So, I will most likely be doing the ride on the 26th now. If anyone is thinking they want on board too just drop a line.

I'll be checking the radar before I split.