the project that shouldn't be

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by johnwesley, Feb 19, 2011.

1. JimmyTheHog

JimmyTheHog Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice vid's John. Looks like the dual sporty is working well. How did it fare from the slow tip-over ? Any damage ?
  2. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    If you look close there is a big bolder where I droped the bike, that hit the air cleaner and mashed the filter some. I had a 3" filter and I am going to a 2" for better clearance. I have droped it at 20 mph with no damage other than the panniers. I think the 2" will help a lot. Where the filter was crushed it was 2" thick. If it wasn't for the highway pegs it would have been alot worse on both crashes.

iPhone
  3. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    got the new filter in and it tucks in nicely. Trying out some different luggage, seems to fit the bike well. We'll see how well it stays put while riding off road.

I have the shocks back and the valving is spot on this time nice and plush with plenty of adjustment :D

[​IMG]
  4. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    I very much enjoy your builds and trip reports JW. I don't want to clutter them up I just want to say thanks. It takes a lot of time and work to put all this up.

Now, carry on!

Oh by the way. I was camped in Mackay Idaho a couple weeks ago and some dude who said he is your father in law came to my campsite for a nice visit. He was on his DR and showed me his route in the mtns the next day that he was leading. He only stopped to visit cuz he saw my ADV sticker and wondered if I knew you. Small world
  5. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    wouldn't happen to be this guy would it

[​IMG]

He's a good father-n-Law. I'm not so sure he didn't get a DS just to relate and found that he really like it. We've had a few big adventures. This pic was taken on the way to west fest, but he didn't make it. He flew back home via the hospital.:eek1
  6. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    the wolman bag is the set I decided to go with more room and more secure. So this will be the set to ride the Rockies with:D

[​IMG]
  7. siyeh

Oddometer:
    Ya, that's him alright.He told me all about his broken leg episode and his ability to refuel his riding buds out of his mega tanker he rides.:clap

He was a real nice man we had two nice visits they wanted me to stay over a day or two for the CMA gathering. I had 7000 miles to go I just like to burn fuel on my long rides. Their CMA outfit impressed me so much I made a donation as I left the next morning I really had to force it into her hand.

ride on JW

I think you get the long ride thing

more addictive than nicotine and crack I tell ya,,,,,
  8. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    thanks for the donation and I do know what you mean by the distance addiction. I read ur AK post, good read. I have issues stopping too. Just something about being on the bike. Its my time to be away and not have to deal with anything or anybody. Good detox time. I like meeting people at events, but I'm normally the odd man out and end up chillin' by myself. Good thing I like my own company :deal
  9. siyeh

Oddometer:
    Yes, my long solo rides recalibrate me my wife claims
    she is smart to let me go
    it's only what 2, 3 grand if you camp out no motel?
    and I do believe there is a dude who keeps me safe in my travels
    I think you know who He is
    my small donation to CMA was trivial in the big scheme of things

ride on JW
    out
  10. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice vids, and big props to the cameraman for following you on a steamer/girlie loaded down with a full set of boxes. He may have been a little slower , but, he was on an arguably less off-road capable bike. And, no drops !
  11. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:

I agree, he is a good rider. He teaches an off-road traing school in SA. That is my tiger he is on, which is no stock bike. Come to think of it none of my bikes are :) it does very well off road for a pig. I have some pics of it on single track in NC. Fun bike
  12. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

It has cartridge internals out of a xr650 grafted in with custom valves and 1.5" more travel that stock. Plus some other odds and ends. It pays to have a suspension guy who like doing custom machine work and weird jobs just to see how it work and if it can be done. :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then all the grunts growns and smart talk as we lift the Kitten over the logs

https://johnwesley.smugmug.com/Moto...6494182_L8t4GS#!i=1239197711&k=FHXUr&lb=1&s=L
  13. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    here is some shots from this weekends ride

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    There are a few things I would do different if I had the chance to start over. Well the time has come to do that. I had a wreck and jacked up the frame and front section of the bike. So as I heal up we will have a do over. I was wearing good gear and was blessed with just external injurys. I'll post pics up when I can get on my lap top.

On phase two I will be open to ideas on what to do different. Thanks for keeping up with the build.
  15. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, sorry to hear about the 2 injuries, you and the bike. I hope neither are to serious. Jacked my knee in '04 and still suffer with it. Lucky for me I can still kick start the bike that chewed on me.
  16. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bike damage bent steering neck, front rim, front brakes, firing, and rear fender. just put new wolfman bags on it and they r in great shape.

[​IMG]

As for me I had reconstructive nose and sinus surgery. that was done on Thursday. i have before pics but didn't figure you'd want to see them. here is the after shot

[​IMG]

maybe I should try out for Whoville. :rofl
  17. JimmyTheHog

JimmyTheHog Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW! John, looks bad but we all know the saying "could have been worse". Glad youre healing and hope youre feeling better soon.

Should be interesting to see where your sporty goes from here with your creativity.
  18. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    thanks jimmy, I am going a different direction with cosmetics, but functionally the same. Love the way the bike works
  19. Ridir Frith

Ridir Frith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the bike will be an easier fix than the nose! Just UPS me your tank and let me do some magic on it.
  20. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    i just may do that man. That would be great !!!!!!!!!! :freaky