2014 Subaru Forester vs 2013 Honda CRV

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by gec343, Jan 13, 2013.

1. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want a vehicle with an automatic, and you don't want CVT, then you can just cross Subaru off your list, unless you grab one of the 2013 Foresters in the next couple of months, but that has a very old 4-speed automatic. It's dependable, but it's definitely old school.

I like manual transmissions, and Subaru is just about the only outfit that offers one with a light AWD or 4WD vehicle.

Like someone said, you may want to have a look at the new Ford Escape. The Chevy Equinox should also be considered, as well as the RAV-4 and the CR-V.
  2. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I drove the new 2013 CRV, and was totally impressed, with the exception of appearance, which was just too flashy for my taste. However, after the new RAV4 arrives, then will compare that with the 2014 Forester, CRV, etc. The Rav4 is due at the dealers this month, at least I think.
  3. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Got it. No Subaru other than the STI. :evil

I think we are going to do a two for one replacement on the van. One for her daily driving/work car. Leaning towards a focus hatchback for that. The other is my not driving the company van after hours, family trips vehicle. Just starting to make that list. I'm not having a manual in my old man travel car. Heck, I don't even like it in the wife's jeep, but my buddies WRX I borrowed, yeah, that I like.
  4. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the euro feel? Want a drivers car - something fun to drive?

BMW X1 base model starts at $32k. Just sayin'.

There's also the Mini Countryman for less $$$.
  5. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    You do realize that all of the equipment and technology required for active cylinder management is built in to every new car you will buy don't you? The only thing missing is the programming.
  6. ImaPoser

Oddometer:
    Every single issue we have had with our van is directly related to the ACM bullshit on it. If I could turn it off, I would. I don't care if they engineer it in to it, but the actual effects of it turning on and making my V-6 a three cylinder has cost me thousands. I doubt if the fuel savings came anywhere close to offsetting it. I'll pass.
  7. DigDig

DigDig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chick cars.
  8. falconati

falconati baller

Oddometer:
    Have you sat in the X1? :puke1 There are nicer Toyota cabins.
  9. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Educate me. What issues? What had to be fixed?
  10. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    They aren't everyone's cup of tea - enjoy your Avalon.
  11. ImaPoser

Oddometer:
    Excessive vibrations due to the dropped cylinders. Result - breaks the motor mounts about every 80K miles. Oh yeah, the front one is an "Electronic Vibration Active management mount" pricey. :pissed Replaced three rear, and two front so far.

Cylinders that drop off have an issue with oil getting by. Every time it goes in to ECO mode for more than about 30 seconds, you get a nice cloud of oil smoke when it re engages the cylinders. This started at about 120K miles. Result - clogged cat. converter, which supposedly caused it to trash three injectors(there's that magic number again:rolleyes) Replaced those three injectors, and the Cat. Declined the advised head rebuild for the rear bank. Currently burning a quart every 750 miles. I hope it lasts till we decide what to buy next and donate this one to good will.
    But other than that, it's been a great van. :lol3
  12. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Is this thing a Chrysler product?
  13. ImaPoser

Oddometer:
    Honda. And I still wouldn't trade it for my mom's Chrysler minivan which is two years newer. At least mine didn't leave me on the side of the Highway three times in the first year.
  14. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    gec343,

Jurgen's post number 15 should be a key factor in your decision making in my opinion. I bought two 2010 2.5 Outback Premiums for my girls. EVERY time I visited my daughters, I liked their Outbacks so much that I eventually sold my Chevy Avalanche and bought a 2012 3.6 Outback limited for me. I've never regretted my choice, unlike when I bought my Avalanche. The 3.6 is awesome... Zero to sixty in 7+ seconds, and stupid amounts of traction in the snow and ice.

The improvements in the four cylinder boxer already listed are compelling reasons to consider the 2013 or 2014 models. The CVT's are pretty awesome in my opinion. You just have to get used to how they work, and the associated noise they make when you are driving aggressively. Each different Subi transmission has a slightly different way of delivering the power to the four wheels, but I believe that they are all pretty awesome. The clear advantage of the CVT is better fuel economy than either the manual or previous conventional automatic transmission.
  15. seuadr

seuadr Wee-stromer

Oddometer:
    We own a 2012 impreza with the CVT. I will admit, that it is a different driving experience. It didn't take very long at all to get used to, though. As others have mentioned, it is actually kind of nice not having any shifting on the highway, and the fuel mileage, for a true AWD vehicle has been great. we get 32-33mpg overall, with the daily commute ebing all city driving. get it out on the highway and that creeps up higher (unless i am driving :deal)

the 2.0L at face value would appear to be a downgrade from the previous 2.5L motor, but also owning a 2006 2.5L, i can tell you that it is not. it feels considerably peppier. both of them are amazing on ice and snow. until purchasing the impreza for my wife this year, i've never seen her willing to drive on ice and snow if she didn't HAVE to. we had even worked out a car-pool in the winter when there was snow or ice on the road. Now she hops right in and takes off, no worries. I can't speak to the reliability of the new engines, as we haven't had ours long enough to judge that, i don't think it is fair to judge a motor till it is 100K plus, minimum. if it is anything like it's previous motor, however, i think it will hold up fine. our 2006 is at 149k, and the only thing that has been done to it is the timing belt, which is regular maintenance. now they have a more robust timing chain system, so that isn't a concern.
  16. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Surprising. I know it isn't popular to say around here, but not everything Honda builds nowadays shares the legendary reliability record of a 2000 stripper Civic. Both Honda and Toyota still build good vehicles, but quality has slipped while domestic quality has simultaneously gained.
  17. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I appreiciate all of the comments and advice. The Subaru dealer called me today and informed me that the new 2014 Forester should be at the dealership sometime in March. Now, I still must test drive the 2013 Rav4, which is due at the dealers this month.
  18. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did not want to start a whole 'nother thread for a farkle. I like it, not so much contrast.

Tomorrows project will be salt removal.
  19. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I've still not made a decision, but have now narrowed it down to a 2014 Highlander or Forester. Leaning toward the Forester, since I consider the Highlander a little too large. However, I've procrastinated so long, may just wait for the 2015 Forester. The new Forester seems to have complaints of poor seats. Maybe that issue will be addressed on the 2015 model.

Thanks for all of the excellent advice!!
  20. PaddedHat

PaddedHat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally different car. The wife had a 2010. Thanks to a series of unfortunate events involving a deer and a boulder, that one is no longer with us. It was replaced with an identical '13. The interior seems much larger, particularly the cargo area. The mileage improved by about 3MPG in all applications, and the thing is dramatically quieter. That said, it has the soul of a kitchen sponge, and looks like ass. If she announced that she wanted to get rid of it, I would dash to the file cabinet for the title, jump over the dog on my way to the garage, and have the thing started before she got in. I hate the thing.