Traffic Cirlce Protocol

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by bomber60015, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    Jug handles are a great way to do a legal u-turn. It will be confusing to drivers new to Jersey since most main roads don't allow left turns. (Hence the jug handle)

I have no problem with roundabouts, been diving though a couple in Indiana since I learned to drive. They are smaller single lane ones, and one I would call a dogbone. (Two roundies, one on each side of an elevated railroad, with a short road under to connect them. Google maps 2599 pioneer st 46806 and youll see what I mean) You just have to learn to read "body language" of the cars coming from your left.
  2. Treedguy

Treedguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a double lane one I go through every day.
    The problem here is people exiting from the inside lane. NOBODY considers going around the circle again.
    Lots of action there.
  3. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    :1

They've installed one in my town at an intersection near the hospital that used to be a nightmare. Traffic backed up onto the interstate, and everything.

It's one mile before my normal exit to get home, but since that's a traditional "merge into a stoplight" clusterfuck, I've been taking the earlier exit with the new roundabout.

It's great! No stopping, and I avoid the jam at my usual exit. Saves me several minutes over a 2-mile distance.

I was skeptical about the thing, at first, but now I'm glad it's there.

:thumb
  4. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    The new one at the hospital in Fayetteville is two-lane.

Seems to work pretty good, though the police were on station there for several days after its grand opening to help confused people get through it! :lol3
  5. GDI

GDI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We've got 5-6 in the little 'burb outside of Madison where I used to live and my kids go to school. The first one showed up replacing a stoplight on May 28, 2004 (I just googled it). Prior to that traffic accidents were not uncommon at that intersection. I have maybe seen one accident since that roundabout went it! There are no backups all the time like there used to be. I'm in favor! :clap

Now my parents--they shouldn't be driving anywhere near one. There's just a little too much going on for somebody who learned to drive before seatbelts were invented. . . .

My strategy for roundabouts is to get down to a speed where you can stop before you enter. That's key. Traffic shows up seemingly out of nowhere, if you're not prepared to stop, you're the one that's going to be at fault and hurting. Carrying a little too much speed as you approach in foul weather is a recipe for disaster.

The thing that I really don't understand is the multiple lane roundabouts. The inside lane seems to think, "I'm just going straight, no need to signal or check blindspots, I've got the right-of-way". Well, that's fine until the guy in the outside lane decides he's not exiting where you are, then there's going to be some pain! It seems to me like everything could proceed much faster and with less danger if roundabouts were limited to one lane?

Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture. . . .

GDI
  6. dirty_t

dirty_t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the US the trouble with roundabouts (aka traffic circles) isn't about timid vs. aggressive drivers as much as the random assortment of people using them. In the UK, NZ and Oz everyone pretty much knows how to use the bloody things. You get some who are timid, some who are aggressive, some who just go with it.

Here in the US most people are just plain clueless about these things. Most don't know what the h*ll they're supposed to do, so timid/aggressive doesn't really enter into it. It ends up just being random behavior.
  7. Yakima

Yakima Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was on the inside of a two lane roundabout, in Lacey Washington on Pacific Avenue, able to go around or straight off the circle when the idiot in the bright yellow commercial truck decides being in the right-hand lane means he can cut left, in front of me and go around the circle.
    Not. I end up on the ground sliding across my lane while he stops, sees me get up and then takes off, fricken ass hat.
    Two guys stop, help me get the bike up--lots of damage but ride-able.
    I don't mind roundabouts (or rotaries, as my wife calls 'em: she's from Boston) BUT I HATE THE IDIOTS WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING IN THEM.:puke1
  8. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    They have put in a bunch of these on the north side of Indianapolis, and this guy's advice pretty much sums up the proper way to handle them. When I want a fun ride in the city and don't want to be stuck at stoplights, I actually prefer them.
  9. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this..... I was mulling how to explain things; no need to now!

The Swindon Magic Roundabout is not unique. There are several more in the UK, and I think France has some too.

Yup, this is what roundabouts are about..... keeping traffic moving. They are relatively safe as in the roundabout speeds are quite slow, with traffic moving in the same direction. Any bumps that do occur tend to be glancing sideswipes rather than full on crashes.

On a motorcycle you have the advantage of manoeuvrability and being able to look around. If you happen to get bumped hard enough to take a tumble, chances are you'll just dust yourself off and continue on. It is a different story if you are wasted during higher speed shenanigans at traffic lights.

We grew up with them, so they are second nature. It could take a generation and a bit of education for them to work where people are not familiar with them.
  10. GordoS

GordoS Pawn in game of life

Oddometer:
    Oman to be exact. Guy on the inside has the right of way, which means you need to watch for him to blast out if you aren't him. So upon entering the circle you want to head for the inside lane. Blast in, blast out. Also spent some time in the UK. They also worked (except for the one time I got confused and went in the wrong way...dumb 'mercan...) Here in US, not so much. Someone mentioned random behavior - yup, that about covers it. There is one out in the middle of Virginia (somewhere around Orange?) and there was one in Belleville, IL. Dogs and cats living together.
  11. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad that you have discovered this. Roundabouts rely on patience and cooperation among road users. Traffic lights seem to inspire competition.
  12. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Used to be fairly grim accidents at a few intersections nearby. I remember at least 2 different MC fatalities at one near a popular bar.

That just means higher Amount of traffic. Bars are everywhere out here.

Anyhow, we now have roundabouts and I love it. Safer for everyone. Though I do see big trucks cut the curb and other craziness, speeds are a lot slower.
  13. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    Here's my American roundabout/rotary (they're not the same--caution, PDF link) question for everyone:

In Australia, you signal left if you're going left from where you're entering, right if you're going right, and no signal if you're going straight on.

In Germany, you signal right as you approach your exit.

In Massachusetts, you don't signal at all, but that's no different from anywhere else on the roads :rofl.

So, in parts of the US where cars have turn signals, how (if at all) do you signal? A number of state governments have put out "OMG WTF IS A ROUNDABOUT" brochures, but none of them say anything about it.
  14. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    If i'm reading this right you don't have indicators(turn signals)? how do you let other road users know what your going to do.
  15. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the cars have them (at least all of them built since sometime around the forties), but lots of people don't know about them, so it seems anyway.

In Massachusetts, drivers tend to rely on clairvoyance.:eek1 :rofl

I signal when I'm exiting the roundabout, which is more or less the normal behavior around here.
  16. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that the protocol for these has been adequately covered, just watch your ass to make sure that somebody else is not going to do something stupid...

That being said I think we need more traffic circles replacing intersections around the US, once people figure them out traffic moves in a much more orderly fashion with fewer delays and what seems like fewer accidents.
  17. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    They're popping up all over and I like it. There's a new one in a town not far from here and people still stop before entering to look to see if there's any traffic coming. Odd since there are others in the state that function pretty well.

While visiting Boston in '80 a friend living there said "Don't signal -- ever -- it only tells other drivers how to cut you off".
  18. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    Over the last year two roundabouts have been installed on my route to work. I was I initially skeptical but now I'm a believer. They cut down my commute time significantly.

They are the two lane variety and here are a couple of things I've learned: don't go around directly next to a vehicle, drivers will often "cut" the circle when they are in the outside lane. Don't assume incoming traffic will yield like they are supposed to. I've seen some really close calls from folks just blowing in without even looking, and I've seen the aftermath of many many fender benders. Especially when they first opened, the frequency seems to be dropping off now. Also the "rules" vary, at some interchanges one lane is required to exit, sometimes they can continue round, you have to keep your head on a swivel and be ready for anything.
  19. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate roundabouts, why? cause its an indication yer on a road with enuf traffic to warrant one, almost as bad as lights
  20. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    The roundabouts are popping up like weeds in the Green Bay area. I for one like them, but it sure befuddles some of the locals. The usual, approach the roundy with NO preplanning of your route, STOP at the entrance and WAIT until ALL traffic is cleared, NO signal. We even had an older lady turn LEFT onto a roundy because she wanted to go left and not around it. Aside from that, I have my own protocols on a bike:

• Make sure I have decent space between me and the vehicle in front, in case said vehicle stops instead of rolling through at the entrance to the rounder,
    • Watch vehicles in the left lane approach of a rounder, in case they suddenly realize thy need/want the right lane to go right off the rounder, could be the new "pinch" like a left turner,
    • don't treat rounders as my little GP track, especially in areas where lots of heavy truck traffic polishes the surface
    • watch for large painted arrows in the lane on the rounder
    • signal when I am going right, before I enter the rounder
    • DON'T assume cagers see you on your bike on the rounder, I have noticed at times in my car/pickup that the left windshield post easily blocks vision enough to hide a motorcycle,
    • never assume a cager will maintain their lane on the rounder
    Aside from that I like them, and they certainly reduce one of our bigger risks, the car turning left into our path of travel