New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. alpine rider

alpine rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Soooo, a while back there was some discussion about trying to gain a little more controll over the throttle, most notibaly in slower, more techy terrain. Any of you guys had any success? I get some wicked throttle hand/arm pump going, trying to keep this little bitch steady at slower speeds. Seems like its either full on or full off with no middle ground. The whisky throttle comments gave me a good chuckle, as that was all me yesterday, pumped silly unable to shut her down careening through the baby heads. :p3rry
    I have the softest KTM throttle cam installed...not sure that really helped much. I've also messed around with the performance settings a bunch and yes the soft setting (3-?) is indeed a little better, but not better enough to warrant de-tuning this bike that much. The throttle was still super snatchy down low.
  2. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    It's not the pump anyway. My Berg has the same pump and it runs great, every time without fail. The Vortex solved my running issue but not being able to tune it myself was a hassle. Seth is inline for a harness but his 690 is apart:lol3

I'm trying to convince him to ride the MX1K with me next may
  3. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    How does the MX1000 navigate???????????? maybe a 690 test team::evil
    I do plan on doing KOTW again but on the berg as the course is sussposed to be very tight this year and the milages per day about 1/2 of the last one.Just cant do 500 miles in a day on the 5fiddy:D
  4. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    Well

Come on ... Your 50 lbs heavier then him. A "slap" behind his head should help him forget he's not a hard core enduro rider and join your ride blindingly ... :deal If it does not work with your hand, try with the hockey stick ... :rofl

Seriously ??? Bob has no pump problems after all ???

Paul Jr
  5. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    I did have two pump problems but only one of them was actually the pump. i have many more problems that were fuel delivery/ecu problems that can not be sorted and definitively fixed. I truly believe most of the problems are not in the hard parts of pump, filter, injector or regulator. I think it is how they are hooked together and the whole fly by wire thing is bullshit you dont need on a dirt bike..

Yes it has significantly limited my millage , having these problems, but when this bike works it works very well for what I like to do and i dont see anything else on the market that will work as well. including building something . believe me i have thought about it a lot.
    I would go carb but I dont know how to get the correct cdi box or trigger. I seems to me that a more robust and less sensitive ecu can be made to work easier. basically the hardest part is tuning it on a dyno with someone that knows how to set up spray amounts

If this dont work I know where you can pick up a 690 that is well used but maintained for cheap and Ill be on a xr 600 with a button:lol3.
  6. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    Anybody got a line on a footpeg lowering kit or a lower footpeg?
  7. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Fastway adventure F6 ? Pivot pegs , ktm hard parts , pro taper , the list goes on ,
  8. 690_Mod

690_Mod n00b

Oddometer:
    heres some pics of when i installed the rally cam and did port/polish with 5 angle valve job

here is the engine fixture i made it can rotate on the bench and its awesome when torqueing bolts
    [​IMG]

the head off, its nasty because i tuned the bike with the tuneboy to make it rich as hell 10:1. it dirtys the engine fast but its worth it for the power
    [​IMG]
    here you can see the difference in lobe seperation angle and duration of the two cams , the rally cam has mega duration , its worth mentioning that the dynamic compression ratio is dropped enough that the idle needs to be turned up , its also worth mentioning that my lightweight speedcell battery has no problem cranking the engine anymore because of the dynamic c/r, it cranked it before but sometimes it struggled .

[​IMG]
    here i am checking the piston to valve clearance , there is plenty of room
    [​IMG]
    piston is lubed and ready to go
    [​IMG]
    here is the nice porting work i had a machine shop do it because they had a flow bench , i had a 5 angle valve job done as well
    [​IMG]
    here is the bike after its all put together , minus teh chain
    [​IMG]
    here is my latest mod a JE std bore 13:1 pop up hypereutectic piston, its not installed yet , i will install it over the winter , i cant wait
    [​IMG]
    on a side note i got this brembo master cylinder for the brake and clutch , they are simply amazing , if your looking to upgrade your masters get these because they are awesome
    [​IMG]
    top view with reservoir mounts
    [​IMG]
  9. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    At the point where customers started asking for a "5 angle valve job" I normally say. "I'll take care of it", and use a radius insert.:D

Rally cam appears to have an asymetric lobe design. Can you confirm, or is that the angle of the photo, combined with the left over spirits in my system this morning :lol3
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Nice bike and mods, 690_Mod!

Do you have any dyno results before and after? Wondering how much potential there is to improve the stock head, I heard they come rather well done from the factory.

And what offset triple clamps are you running?

Cheers,
    Lukas
  11. daveknievel

daveknievel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, do tell about the head. My buddy has a flow bench. Might have to put him to work this winter.
  12. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Gros Buck - Assembler!? I read the manual, once . :lol3

Went out for some late afternoon urban dirt yesterday, ended in bed. Started ride with 15 minute idle reset. Thirty mins of city travel had a number of stalls. Got to dirt and stalling / rough running increased to point where I headed back to road after just 15 mins.

Cut the bike off while waiting on a train and wouldn't restart. Let it sit for a bit and try again, nada. Finally got a sign of life but turned into a back fire which separated the throttle body from the motor. I'm not in one of the better parts of town so opt for phone and charge card evac before sun goes down and drug lords come to check on their labs.

Back at the house, refix tb, starts right up. pos.

[​IMG]
  13. SlowRide13

SlowRide13 Veteran n00b

Oddometer:
    I know a guy with a nice XR600R he'd probably sell you. I think you already have his number :amazon
    p
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Got my head back from the guy that cut the valve seats. He thinks that the seats were originally cut wrong on the right side from the factory. The left side exhaust was still at 2 mm which is new spec, while the right side exhaust was 1.1 The right side intake had no seat at all and the left side was at .9 mm. Anyway, all 4 are at 2 mm now so should be good for another 27K miles at least. :D

He also confirmed the valve guides were good. Now I just have to get around to putting it all back together.

[​IMG]
  15. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    Thanks, a google search could not help me. Appreciate it.
  16. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    If you are not going to do ride in deep ruts or between big rocks the Fastway Adventure pegs are fantastic for giving stable and comfortable footing all the time, even better than the KTM Rally Replica pegs.

For enduro type riding both are a bit too wide IMO.
  17. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:

I like my Pivot Pegz. you can configure them to lower 10mm, and move rearward 5mm. They cost about the same as the KTM Hardparts pegs, that give the same amount of relocation. I have not put hands on the hardparts pegs, but I think the PPegz mounting system is better. IMO.
  18. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    No doubt. :lol3.

Starts with choke, idles with choke, bogs and dies with throttle. We are going for carb rebuild this afternoon. At least no Austrian code monkeys in play. Cooler will be open, game on small screen - wanna swing by:freaky
  19. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    I'm changing my stock tires out.
    Should I be able to remove the spacer in the rear sprocket?
    When I spin the spacer, it feel kind of grimey. I want to take it out and re-grease it, of course.
    I can't remove the dang thing. I dont want to pry it out because the sorounding metal "nilos ring " is very soft.
    On other bikes I have I can, so I was wondering....but in the 690 owners manual, it doesnt mention removing and inspecting that particular spacer.
    Maybe it was overtorqued in the factory? Should I go to my crappy dealer? Doubtful there is any real problem.....besides being anal retentive...just wondering.

[​IMG]
  20. blackSP

blackSP 51.38986335329787, 4.399599889888853

Oddometer:
    Putte, Netherlands southern border to Belgium
    I wanted to do the same but no luck. Sounds and feels like there's sand in there and I want it out!
    Guess the only way is a new one...