Klim or Rev'it

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Smoke Eater 3, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So this has probably been covered but i can't really find it. I'm looking at either the Rev'it Outback or the Klim Overland jacket. They both seem to be top quality but I've read some downsides of each one. Since I live out in the weeds I need to order online which make it a PITA if I have to return things.

Any opinions on either jacket or company?
  2. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    Klim. Haven't owned Rev-It but the Klim stuff I have has never failed to impress.
  3. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Klim.

My personal experience with rev'it is that it looks good, and fits great, but there's some corner that's cut somewhere that will show itself in a year or two and cause it to fall apart at the seams.
  4. Auto-X Fil

Auto-X Fil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Klim Dakar pants are not built nearly as well as my Rev'It Cayenne jacket. Small sample size, and probably not a fair fight, so take it with lots of salt.
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
  6. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I had the top of the line RevIt gear before I went to Aerostich.. and now KLIM.. it was 3 or 4 years ago...but it just wasnt made all that well. I have heard that they have improved the quality over the last couple of years though.
  7. DanMac

DanMac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a rev'it turbine jacket and I've had it for a bit over 2 years now. Always been flawless. No issues at all. No loose stitches, no strings, nothing.

I might just be a lucky one, but the rev'it turbine is by far my favorite jacket.
  8. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rev'it Cayenne was the top of the line a few years ago. Klim Dakar is not anywhere near Klim's top of the line so can't really compare these 2 in my opinion. I own some Rev'it Pro Cayenne gear and it is still top notch. To bad I''ve outgrown it. It's in the market. Rev'it will get another serious look when I go to buy more gear. I just like there stuff cause it just plain works..
  9. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which one are you talking about? Revit, Aerostich, or Klim?
  10. xit109

xit109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 3 pieces from Rev'it and 2 from Klim. I like the way the Rev'it gear moves while wearing it better. I also like the layout of pockets and zippers better. The Klim feels more substantial. I bought the different pieces for different reasons and at very different price points so I don't think an apples to apples comparison would be fair from me. However, I do think both companies make a nice product. If I had to pick one it would be Klim because I feel that there is better protection. Also what I own from Klim doesn't require separate layers for rain protection. All my Rev'it gear has multiple layers. That is something I find mildly inconvenient in my riding climate.
  11. robfilms

robfilms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does olympia deserve to stand alongside klim and rev'it?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
  12. Daemon Angel

Daemon Angel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have all my gear from Rev'it at the moment and as someone commented above, it really looks nice but somehow always seems to fail somewhere.
    Since I'm more of a road rider and daily commute to work with the bike I'm looking at Stadler gear (not adventure style ofcourse).
    Otherwise I would also be looking at the walking billboard, I mean Klim

The leather outfit I have from Rev'it (higher end price point). I had to bring back the pants 2 times now for restitching. The vest 1 time. The tarmac gloves (highest price point) have been restitched 4 times and in the end they gave new because they completely came apart (how would they look like if I fell on them? Don't really thrust them). - 2 years old gear

The Rev'it textile is the navigator jacket and sand pants.
    New membrane already for the navigator and the pants membrane is starting to leak now too (1 year and 2 months old).
    Buttons on the navigator at the collar had to be replaced and already broke again. Zippers are failing and the velcro, what velcro?

For the rest I like the fit and to wear it. Also the pockets and ventilation is good. But the finish of the product is not that good. Too bad.
    Even in their high price range I would not doubt for example the stitching.

Kinda sums up my experience with Rev'it :p
    Seems nice for offroad use if you plan to wear a protection suit under it as the protection doesn't stay in place at all. Abrasion resistance also is kinda doubtful on road. And when you don't plan to wear it that long/often. But the price point is also not that high as brands like Klim or Rukka or Stadler
  13. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Kind of what I expected. Different opinions from everyone but good ones. I think I just need to flip a coin and place an order.
  14. levain

Oddometer:
    In that case, probably your biggest consideration should be whether you want to be waterproof 100% of the time, or have the ability to remove the liners.

The other serious consideration is your value in high end materials (Goretex,Cordura), vs. generic (Polyester, PWR/Wax, Hydratex).
    eff likes this.
  15. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    I own multiple sets of both brands. I'd say, in general, Revit is more street oriented and even their supposed offroad/adv gear is not great offroad. Klim makes amazing offroad gear but doesn't make any onroad specific gear. Choose accordingly.
  16. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    100% waterproof does not exist on a motorcycle at speed. Eventually something leaks or you get water down the neck line or into the boots, etc. Goretex is just a preventative measure but you can't fight water pressure while riding unless you're taping sleeves and zipper junctions. Same applies to ice climbing, it doesn't matter how new or great or expensive your gear is, you will get wet after a while, it's how warm you can stay that matters.
  17. levain

Oddometer:
    My experience differs, but it sounds like you're an expert. Therefore, I will rephrase my comments by asking the OP if he would like his jacket 100% waterproof all the time, or would you like removable liners? It sounds like you'll never be dry anyway, so it might not matter as much:rofl
  18. Travman

Travman Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me the clear choice is Klim. I’ve worn my Traverse jacket through several rain storms and not a drop has come through. Also really like their philosophy of goretex shells without liners. Lastly because Klim gear fits unlike Rev'it that is made for skinny little Europeans.
  19. cjmadura

cjmadura Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have both Rev'it (Tornado Pants) as well as Klim (Badlands Pro).

The Klim Jacket cost about $750, but is worth EVERY penny. Without liners, it provides warmth, abrasion protection and keeps you dry through it all.

The Rev'it pants, about $330, work very well in the summer months, and have very good quality. Far better than the lower tier players (Joe Rocket, Fieldsheer, Tourmaster, etc...), but it does not approach Klim.

For the same money, Kilm simply smokes Rev'it. If you're after fashion, then Rev'it is your brand - their stuff easily has the best style. Personally, I think the Badlands pro in black is one of the sharpest jackets out there, but even with all the vents, you'll roast nicely in summer. I wish Klim made a true mesh jacket for summer.

FWIW, I wear a compression suit under my jackets at all times. with the original armor removed. If you're serious about impact protection, wear compression armor and ditch the jacket junk - it NEVER stays in place.:norton
  20. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. I have a Rukka ArmaS that has never leaked but is heavy and not vented. Also my BMG Discovery never leaked but has the same issues as the Rukka. My Revit CP jacket let me down in heavy rain but it has vents all over. I think I see a pattern here.