Land Rover Lust!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Mav, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Nice :clap

Used to drive one of these regularly a long long time ago :D
  2. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well,

I collected it this morning. The drive home was not great, stuck in traffic for ages due to a Mitsubishi Pajero bursting into flames on the Motorway. So we had the engine off for a while just sat there.

[​IMG]

But so far I really like it. Quiet, very comfortable, not fast but fast enough. Smooth, handles ok for a big vehicle on the road. Not had it off-road yet, but will take it to the farm tomorrow and get it muddy. Its a 2003 TD5 ES Auto. Havn't yet figured out all the buttons and switches etc. It was quarter full on the gauge when I picked it up, so I filled it on the way home and managed to get a whisker over £100 of Diesel in it! Hope the range is reasonable! I noticed the gauge didn't go all the way to the top even though it was full (just under the top line).

[​IMG]
    I'll get pics of the outside tomorrow when it gets muddy :wink:
  3. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    welcome to the `club` i am in australia and find www.aulro.com a very useful, frendly and informative forum for info and assistance. Also my haynes manual!
  4. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can download the dealer service manual (RAVE) for free here:

http://www.landroverresource.com/

Lots of good details not included in Haynes/Chiltons
  5. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's the chassis that will provide my drivetrain. Motor has 20k but the chassis has 350k!

[​IMG]
  6. Achtung

Oddometer:
    Too bad the frame broke on the way home. [​IMG]
  7. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for both links. Very usefull. I'm almost avoiding the LR forums for fear of finding out how unreliable they are :lol3

I took it offroad (Muddy fields and rutted tracks) this afternoon on the farm, couldn't get any photo's as it was raining so hard I would have needed an underwater case! It did great, even on the road tyres in has.
  8. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, thats some project you have taken on there!:eek1 Have you started a build thread in the Garage? You should, it will be great to follow along. :evil :ear
  9. Achtung

Oddometer:
    This truck will be providing the drivetrain only. I have another one with a decent body but also has a rotted frame. I'll buy a galvi chassis and combine the three to make one. Right now I'm in parts accumulation mode but as soon as I buy the chassis it will be full on assembly, at which time I will start a build thread over there. Thanks for the encouragement. Heres the truck from previously in this thread.
    [​IMG]
  10. damoace

damoace PinderBilt

Oddometer:
    You'll love it. Disco's do just about everything with a high degree of capability, like this:
    [​IMG]

And this:
    [​IMG]

I love my Disco and use it almost everyday. I run an old Barracuda Pickup for work too and the the Disco is so much more comfortable on long towing runs. I'd much rather take the Disco to tow anything at motorway speeds.

Still miss my old Bobby though:
    [​IMG]

Love the Series 2 looks and the colour of yours. A mate of mine used those 'at work' :evil with a V8 and manual 'box (only certain roles got those - most were auto's) and can confirm that they can tow fully laden Class1's off the carriageway. Impressive stuff....
  11. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, so far I'm really enjoying the Disco II. But, i noticed I rainbow on the wet road underneath it this morning after driving it to a customers. Had a look underneath and it appears the steering box is leaking from the bottom seal :cry I crawled underneath and got a mate to turn the steering from side to side and it leaks when on full lock.
    Called the dealer and it will be going back on Thursday morning, they are going to lend me a corsa whilst they fix it. I could probably do it myself quicker (it's a 60 mile round trip to the dealer), but I have a warranty and I've only had it 3 days so they can do it.
  12. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is back up and running! Took me about 6 weeks to get the time to finish it...

[​IMG]

We managed to make the modern intake manifold work, it took cutting and welding the fuel rail to accomodate taller injectors, fabbing about a million little odds and ends to deal with sensors/ plumbing, etc. But it's in!

[​IMG]

So nice to have a feeling of confidence, or at least knowledge, of what's going on under the hood. :thumb
  13. Ze Red Baron

Ze Red Baron Adventure seeker

Oddometer:
    That's awesome!!!:freaky:freaky:freaky
  14. rpo83

rpo83 Old enough to know better

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain, i did the same thing with my build, except i was going to run dedicated LPG. The Gas Research throttle body worked out really well when we were working out all the 1,001 little things that had to be catered for..

[​IMG]

I have spent many years building this, but i have come to the realisation that i will never finish it, so it is soon to be parted out :2cry

It has been a money pit, and my life has moved on from wanting to do extreme 4x4'ing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will be a sad day when it is all gone...
  15. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice looking truck. Doesn't look like there is much left to do?
  16. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We'll...

Had to take the Disco back to get the steering box leak fixed. It didn't even make it back to the dealer :cry On the way there I was waiting in traffic on a downhill section, so I pushed it into Park. Just at the time I moved the lever, there was a clunk which I couldn't tell at the time if it was a Missfire or a gearbox clunk. We got moving again and made it another 200 yards or so and it just died on me. No engine at all. It was turning over nice and quick but just not firing. No warning lights on the dash. I called the dealer and they came and rescued me as I was only about 1/2 mile from them at that point. When we got to their workshop they opened the bonnet and poked around. They pushed the fuel cutoff switch and tried it again. Amazingly it started? Although they didn't think the switch had tripped out. Anyway they plugged it in for diagnostics and couldn't see any errors so they took it for a spin with it plugged in. They were gone quite a while.... Turns out it died on them as well. So at least they have seen it fail. They have sent me home in a loan ford fiesta while they try and find the fault although they said they suspected the Crank shaft sensor and/or fuel pump has failed. I hope they find the problem and fix it properly as it's not been a good start. :cry
  17. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Damn, that has to be some sort of record :huh
  18. B50Paul

B50Paul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aaaaaarrr why did I read this thread:eek1

Just picked up a 98 Discovery SE . low miles and every thing works, touch wood. Paul

ps ten bikes , this my first car
  19. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    Came across this 1967 series IIa 109 w/straight 6 US spec.
    Said to run well but I havent heard it yet.
    45k original miles 2 owners desert truck. 100% complete original unrestored. Crawled around under no major rust or rot.
    what do you think its worth?
    [​IMG]
    I've always wanted a second marriage.
    [​IMG]
  20. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    I'm not in the market, but there's a very clean Disco for sale about a half mile from my house...