Classic bonehead move...with bad results

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Cyath, Jan 19, 2013.

1. FtheRedSticker

FtheRedSticker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like your problem is the stator. Seems like you have done everything else, fuel, plugs, kill switch etc. if there is no spark at the spark plug then your stator is simply failing to produce a spark. I recently had to replace the stator on my sons 2001 ktm 65sx. I had to go through all of these same checks. The stator was the last thing I wanted to replace because it was a 500 dollar part. Once replaced it fired up first kick.
  2. FtheRedSticker

FtheRedSticker Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    Backfeeding polarity can eat the stater depending on how long you tried to crank it but imho more likely you've shorted out the ecu or the voltage regulator. Swap parts to find out whats fried with another 990 or take her to the stealership, bend over, grab ankles.:cry
  4. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    Not the stator - Has nothing to do with spark; it's just part of the generator which is there to provide power once the battery has started the bike.

And what exactly is backfeeding polarity? Starters are (usually) series wound and not polarity sensitive = can't run backwards by swapping leads. Now if the starter is a permanent magnet type, it will run backwards when the leads are swapped.
  5. 666

666 Long timer

Oddometer:
    pickup coil or "pulse generator" in ktms terms? That's the thing which tells ecu crank position. I had that happen on my old 640 adventure.
    I am not sure which part it's on 990 , but on 950 it's 60039034100.

It should be easy to test it.
  6. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pardon if I rehash somehting or dont have the nameology of the part right, I'm not a KTM expert, I just fiddle with a lot of engines... :)

Being able to plug into the ECU would tell you something as well. (Kick stand switch bad? you should be able to see the status...)

Does the cluster do the correct little self test dance when you power up the bike?

Check all your fuses with a meter,,, I've had them blow and not collapse so they look ok...

When I hear the symptom you originally had I start with the battery and follow the power with a volt meter to the ECU.
    (Electrical harness issues,,, always fun...)

Crank position sensor is the most common reason Electronic ignition stops. And almost NO ECU's can test it...

Cheers.
    Dave
  7. Cyath

Cyath Impetulant Ignoramus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave.
    Correct, I can't check the ECU. Yes, turning the key turns on the headlamp and the instrument display goes through the self-test sweep. At that point all looks normal. All of the other electrical functions (lights seem to work fine) Fully charged battery and it cranks strong, but no ignition.
    I can't find any frayed wires.
    On my kid's kick-start DRZ-125, I know where the current for the spark is generated. Where is the source on these EFI bikes? Is it from the battery via the ECU?
  8. 666

666 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It gets tested with ohmeter. It should have some specific resistance(I dont know this number for 990) and not shorted to ground. Easy test. Unplug and measure.
  9. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    I had a similar ghost in my 950, turned out it was the ignition switch attached to the bottom of the key tumbler. Try hotwiring the bike. directions in the HOW then search for "hotwire".

It's pretty simple to test. If the bike fires, you've got a bad key switch. You can buy a new one and unscrew the electrical portion off the key tumbler, and then attach to your already installed key tumbler.
  10. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    I know this is way to simple but check the position of the ON/OFF KILL switch----- HEY it's happened before---- Don't ask
  11. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    But it would it turn over then?
  12. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Naw, as a matter of fact if you hit that switch the lights on the dash won't even come on and you'll think you have a dead battery. :rofl
  13. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    Opps duh: I somehow read stator as starter, sorry
  14. achile

achile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump!

Ok, rewind... Please state the simptoms and what was rulled out. It's simpler to keep track
  15. Cyath

Cyath Impetulant Ignoramus Supporter

Oddometer:
    @achile
    Turn the key and it everything lights up as it should.
    Battery fully charged and being tended.
    Fuel pump and ABS whir on key on. Every fuse has been checked and tested. All good.
    Hit the starter and it cranks and cranks, but won't catch fire.
    It's not fuel. I've run out of gas before and I know what that's like, the bike won't crank if its not getting gas.
    Pulled the plug and looked at the electrodes as the bike was cranking. Where you'd expect to see a spark, there isn't.
    Whatever died and is not sending current to the spark plugs, it happened as the bike was parked while I was at work.
    Yes, I did entertain the idea that some asshat decided to fuck with it, but I've , gone over it carefully and I can't find a cut wire or empty connector anywhere.
    Looks like I've got to bite the bullet and take it in.
    Appreciate all the ideas guys.
  16. achile

achile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have an electric diagram in full color and high resolution? My dad's an electrical engineer. I can ask him to take a look.
  17. -Macca-

-Macca- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bit in bold isn't something I'd normally expect to read/hear (but maybe you just talk/type different to me :D ), so I'm going to ask anyway:

Is the spark plug earthed while you're cranking?

I couldn't find anything posted earlier to confirm it..
  18. Chewy750

Chewy750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the earthing.
  19. achile

achile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :evil grab the plug, hold on to the cylinder head and give'er a turn! That's how you make shure it gets juice.
  20. Wantajustride

Wantajustride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cyath,

It looks like a lot of bases have been covered here. I do wonder about the "Lack Of Spark"?

Meaning,, that the contact end is a good ways up inside the boot, Did you use a screw driver or something like it stuck up inside the plug wire, then try to go to ground to see that spark is present?

I'm not questioning your mechanical skill but sometimes it the simplest things that get overlooked.

WJR