800XC Owners - what's your Second bike?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by JustKip, Jan 29, 2015.

1. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious; if you have an XC already, would you prefer a pure street, or dirt oriented bike to complement it?
  2. Antiquar

Antiquar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got two bikes aside from my 800XC. The R1100R sees the most use, while the XT550 gets taken out occasionally to keep it fresh. The XT is a fun bike, but anywhere I'd take it I'd rather take the Tiger.

The BMW, on the other hand, is a very different experience. It's a hoot to wind up that big oil cooled boxer. The Tiger is a better bike in pretty much every way--except ease of maintenance. Which is good, because I do a lot of it on that BMW.
  3. tart

tart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I to have 2 other bikes, a Yamaha xt660z Tenere and my bought from new KTM 950 Adventure now 11 years old.
  4. lopaca

lopaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a BMW R1200RT and a KTM 530EXC. I have set up the KTM for dual sporting but it's limit is reached on the very long slab trips, ergo the Tiger.

I will keep all 3, however, my riding buddy has gone on record as saying that once I have the Tiger I won't ride the other 2. It will be interesting to see. The BMW is obviously a great tourer with all the comfort in the world (took it to Alaska). The KTM is the best dirt bike I have ever owned is a blast is the deserts and the mountains.

I am riding less and less aggressively, so I would imagine if any of them goes it would be the KTM.

We'll see....
  5. ilbiker

ilbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 XC and the other bike is a TW200 lightly built up for around town and tearing up the local trails. If I have to leave the town, its back to the tiger.
  6. Seventy One

Seventy One Tick Magnet

Oddometer:
    I still have my DR650.

When I bought the Tiger I figured that it would eventually replace the DR650. That hasn't been the case though. The DR is much better (and much more fun), off-road. The maintenance is 10x quicker. Tire changes are cheaper and less frequent. It's almost as good as the Tiger two-up. The Tiger only really beats it in power, brakes and suspension.

In the end, these are just two totally different bikes. One's a Dual Sport and the other is an Adventure touring bike. Or, as I explained it to my girlfriend, one is a Jeep CJ7 and the other is a Lincoln Navigator.
  7. WolvesLower

WolvesLower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1972 Yamaha LT 100
    1972 Yamaha Chappy
    1973 Honda Scrambler 350
    motopreserve and Bro-stasche like this.
  8. Mattb4rd

Mattb4rd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love a Scrambler.
  9. MayoMud

MayoMud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In addition to the 2013 800XC I have an oilhead R1150R and a DRZ400 (set up for primarily off-road)... I would keep all three but if I had to drop one it would be the BMW... wife is as happy on the back of the Tiger with the top box and backrest pads... and I would still have the Suzuki to throw in the back of the truck for weekends in the mountains.:D
  10. Antiquar

Antiquar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting, we have a similar set of bikes (T800XC, R1100R, XT550). My girlfriend prefers the R1100R. She says the Tiger's height makes her nervous. She'll never get on the XT again because I lofted the front once. :rofl
  11. MtnRubi

MtnRubi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the mountains above San Bernardino, CA
    Currently a KLR. (That may turn itself into a box of parts.)

I want a scrambler, but I'm shopping for an FJR.
  12. Yani

Yani b00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    2012 800XC and a 2010 Scrambler. Two very different bikes.
  13. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Triumph Scrambler?

I have a Duc Scrambler on the way, and the XC is my top pic to replace my GS as a touring rig...and I actually worry that they're too similar.

Yani just said that the Triumph Scrambler is very different. I've never ridden a Scrambler, but if it's anything like a Bonneville that means (to me) that the Triumph Scrambler is boring. The 800 triple is very entertaining.
  14. MayoMud

MayoMud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife likes the Tiger because the top box gives her something to grab when she climbs on... And she likes being up higher... Horses for courses... Seat is also okay for her, I have a Corbin on the R1150R because the stock seat was unbearable for me and she preferred the stock seat because it seemed wider...

She just punches me in the kidneys If I am going too fast and when we lived in Australia she would yell "You're not Casey Stoner!!!":wink:
  15. sngltrc

sngltrc Mind

Oddometer:
    With a big tank and a GL Coyote

[​IMG]
  16. Crab bait

Crab bait Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ktm 350. The tiger is not light enough for tight single track. Also have Yeti
  17. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    KTM 450exc tagged
  18. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    +1 and a Pivot Mach 429 for the mtb trails.
  19. Playsatan

Playsatan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A KTM 450 EXC and a V Strom 650 commuter. Always looking to add to the stable though.
  20. FatBob

FatBob Don't want a pickle Supporter

Oddometer:
    2012 800XC along with a Husky TE610 and a Yamaha FJR 1300. also an XR400 an '84 and '74 Husky WR250's.
    motopreserve likes this.