Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Sideout

Sideout Noob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This could help - http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/118910-pics-black-mts1200s-mra-windshield.html

2. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    There have been reports of ethanol making the tanks expand, but so far very few have had this problem. There are tons of theories out there about how to prevent it from happening, from only using gas w/ Techron (Chevron, etc.), or dumping Seafoam or StarTron into the tank if you have to purchase gas w/o Techron.

So far, Ducati is replacing tanks under warranty for anyone having issues, but out of > 10,000 MTS 12's sold WW, I've heard of very few cases of expansion (which seems to be the only reported problem).

-SM
  3. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the intel on the tank issue....any word on significant changes for the 2012?
    Thanks for the help and guidance, I want one so bad, it's hard to wait for spring....
  4. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:

I haven't heard a single case of a MTS1200 with an expanding fuel tank problem. Any specific ones your can cite, or point to on the web?
  5. Stickywicket

Stickywicket Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes. The seats are totally seperate so you dont need both althought they look different if that is important to you.

The MRA screens come in clear, smoked or dark. You cannot see through the dark one, It works for me on the lowest setteing with the comfort seat. I am 5'10 with 30" inseam.

I cannot vouch for pillion comfort as she is 5' so is proteceted behind me.

The original screen was no good for me and the touring scren is not much, if ant , difference in length so I never tried it.

As stated, it is subjective. You wont know until you try I'm afraid.
  6. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
  7. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    No word on changes. Rumor mill says "no changes", but we all know how that goes..... :amazon

-SM
  8. TIGERRIDER007

Oddometer:
    Appreciate it SM!
    I'm trying to calculate what the best deal would be come springtime. If they roll out a model that's been changed, then I could pick a "2010" model a little cheaper if they are trying to get rid of them. But if no changes are planned, then I guess we'll see what happens in spring.
    Thanks again!
  9. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tiger,
    I would highly doubt any changes for 2012. They just introduced the Pikes Peak model and they finally got all of the bugs taken care of. I would guess you won't see much change for a few years except maybe some new colors. Your best bet for a good deal is probably to pickup a 2011 left over this fall, that is, if u can find one. Just my .02
  10. TIGERRIDER007

Oddometer:
    I'll take all the .02 I can find.
    So, you think the deals will be this winter...interesting....I may have to start looking. Of course, most dealers are not going to budge off the "sticker" price being it's a newer model...
    Again, I appreciate all the intel.
  11. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    I agree w/ Fixin'. I think any "deal" to be had is actually any time, starting about 2 months ago as the bottom started falling out of this "recovery". Bikes, cars, etc., have all stopped moving off dealer floors, so you can likely wander into a dealer and get upwards of $1500 off + first service thrown in. Just my opinion of course, but over on Ducati.ms we've had several peeps announce that deal. Another option is to pick up a demo. Typically they are low miles, and have all updates done (depends on the dealer of course, but the better ones will keep their demo up to date so it's running well).

I think "spring" starts now.... :wink: :freaky

-SM
  12. rthuey

rthuey twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer:
    insanity is not as easy as i make it look
    bill n sluggo sticker kits available now

[​IMG]
  13. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm buying a 1200 MTS, I rode one the other day and am buying one asap. I did not like the wind buffet so I'm looking for advice. I'm 5'10" and have a 31" inseam so a reasonably tall upper body. Has anyone my size tried an alternative screen that silences the buffet?
  14. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the Laminar Lip. I'm roughly your size (a little shorter) and it virtually eliminates buffeting. Some don't like the appearance, but I'm an engineer and form follows function, right?

--Doc
  15. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doc, I sent you a PM follow up question.
  16. Stickywicket

Stickywicket Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm the same height etc.

The solution for me is the comfort seat (slightly lower sitting position) with the MRA touring screen. PERFECT!

See my posts above.

Many have had good results from the MRA vario screen also which is the same screen with a small aerofoil attached.

Have fun with the new bike :thumb
  17. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I'm 6' w/ 33" inseam, so probably the same size torso as you, and I found the Laminar Lip to be great up to approx. 50mph, but at freeway speeds (70mph+) it was really bad. I ended up returning it, and for now am sticking with my $10 hardware store mod that pushes the stock screen out away from me approx. 40mm at the top and 20mm at the bottom. This allows more air to come up under the screen and reduces the negative air pressure between the screen and the rider that seems to be the major cause of buffeting. 5500 miles later and speeds well into triple digits (the devil made me do it :evil ) and it's still working out pretty well.

-SM
  18. VeeNeck

VeeNeck Banned

Oddometer:
  19. VeeNeck

VeeNeck Banned

Oddometer:
  20. VeeNeck

VeeNeck Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Cool White/Red/Carbon color combo! :evil