Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. -lurkster-

-lurkster- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Page 10 of the owners manual.

Considering the fire trouble we have had in my area over the last few years, I wont be venturing into the desert without following the letter of the law with regards to spark arresters.

I have the Triumph aluminium bashplate on backorder which sounds like it will help shield the heat from the cat, but I will be looking at bolting on a USFS approved screen. Anyone know of one?
  2. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    That seems to be a pretty good comparison. At least as it pertains to the F800, it is pretty accurate, except for 2 comments. I find the trans to be very smooth, but maybe their example has been abused or does not have the proper clutch adjustment.
    I don't think their issue with lack of low speed control is too much torque, but the light switch throttle control at slow speeds. Luckily there is an aftermarket fix, but you should not need one IMO.
  4. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    But they also liked the engagement of the BMW clutch better. Plus one for BMW there. Also, they said the BMW wheel spin issue would be much less an issue with proper off road tires.

Seems the biggest down side for the BMW is the front forks. I kind of liked the softly sprung F800GS front when I rode the bike. But I was going slow, over rocky terrain. Bike did pretty well, IMHO.
    At speed, maybe not so much. On paved roads it did dive ... but I'm used to that. I just use more rear brake. I rocked on the BMW on our nasty roads. Loved it. But I loved the Tiger too!!

But the lack of front feedback and steering confidence on the F800, is IMO, serious criticism ... and both reviewers brought it up. An unsure front end means ... crashes!! :eek1

The other surprise for me was that they were adamant about how light the Tiger 800 felt even though it's apparently a heavier bike. This is good news. Most success and happiness riding off road is in your head. With confidence, good feedback and control, you will be happy.
  5. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    I don't have time to go into detail at the moment, but I test rode an 800XC and a Super Tenere yesterday.

The point I will bring up is front forks ... we all know that the F800GS has too soft forks as standard, can be improved with progressive hyperpro springs, and so on. One point I will make about the Tiger is that it has almost the opposite problem as the GS. I found the XC front end was very uncomfortable on the crappy tar roads around here. It felt too stiff and then sort of hydrolocked. On the gravel it was alright. I think that Hyperpro will make some progressive springs with a softer initial rate and suggest lighter weight oil when they get around to the XC. By contrast the Super Tenere was very comfortable on the same roads.

More later!
  6. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    These reviews make me wonder... BMW is on its fourth production year of the F800GS and is likely due for some changes, hopefully more than a facelift. Will these changes happen via the Husqvarna brand with the 900cc parallel twin rotax motor due this fall? Or will BMW also change their own F800GS?

Meanwhile, the T800XC is a great bike and I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Lion
  7. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't agree with the lack of feed back comment either, but I switched springs so long ago maybe I just do not remember how they used to be.

BMW has made a lot of changes to the bike for a number of reasons. Unless you are Joel Wiseman we aren't even aware of them or know why they were made. A pet peeve of mine and leaves me wondering why?

Back to soft forks, they feel different enough to me that I have commented on how different the new ones feel. Something I will never know because of their sealed cartridges.
  8. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    The head of BMW is quoted in the UK bike press as saying that Triumph should be "ashamed" of copying the 800gs.

Odd comment, since the S1000RR is modelled on the GSX-R1000 K5.

I'm not BMW bashing btw, as I like S1000. Just seems an odd thing for the guy to say.
  9. Evomx971

Evomx971 Wave as you fly over

Oddometer:
    Looked at mine a bit more after work since I was thinking about it. I think what I might be feeling is a little bit of play in the front discs between the disc and the carrier at the buttons. When you first apply the brakes, you can feel the disc "set" against the buttons. I had a tube frame Buell that developed quite a bit of slop in those buttons over time and I remember assuming for the longest time it was steering bearings but could never feel any play with bike on a stand. Finally figured out it was the buttons. Actually think there might have been a recall because of it at some point... among others :evil
  10. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Ashamed" ?! Really ? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Hell, the Germans complained about Russia & the Ural in 1943... It'll blow over.
  11. PaulSF

PaulSF Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If true, imagine what he'll say when Triumph comes out with the 1200 Tiger w/shaft drive ...:evil
  12. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree this doesn't make a lick of sense. Do you have the actual quote in context?

- Mark
  13. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt any development of a street-oriented Husky will impact an evolutionary update of the F800GS - they're addressing two markets with almost zero overlap. As I understand it, BMW wants to use the Husky brand to address its shortcomings in the cruiser and street naked category, not the adventure bike category. And the F800GS is a highly successful model that BMW won't want to discontinue or let whither on the vine.

When an update of the F800GS will occur is anybody's guess, but it would seem to be due in the next year or two.

- Mark
  14. halfast3

halfast3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that an ABS Roadie? Perhaps there's hope that mine will show up at Cascade Moto Classics, my dealer in Beaverton, ~110 miles north. :clap
  15. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    How many miles did the XC have on it? The forks need to break in a bit (as does the rear shock, actually). The harshness you felt soon goes away.

--mark
  16. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)

Which is fucking idiotic because Husqvarna is and has always been a very dirt-oriented brand.

--mark
  17. LoriKTM

LoriKTM Wrecking Ball

Oddometer:

Haven't we already beaten this dead horse enough? I thought it was already pretty well established that the Tiger 800 was conceptualized back in 2007, before the F800GS was even on market. More of a parallel evolution process, rather than Triumph copying BMW.

I'm not fluent in Italian, but "Agosto 2007" is pretty obvious (see link)

http://www.fedrotriple.it/tiger-800-xc-2011-triumph.html
  18. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Mark 1: From what I've read on the many reports so far, Husqvarna has been linked with four models: enduro, street/enduro, supermoto, and street fighter. So yes, there is overlap if these reports are correct.

Mark 2: Not so fast with the "idiotic" appraisal. It may be that the idiotic move is the overlap between BMW and Husqvarna. And BTW, Husqvarna has been in the supermoto category for a while. Although that is hardly "real" street, that's where some of their bikes have been geared to be ridden.

Lion
  19. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Will be interesting to see the new Husky 900. I have heard rumors of an updated F800GS. Definitely over due.

Regards BMW's intentions with Husqvarna ... the Cruiser claim is something I hadn't heard. What I originally heard was BMW were to expand Huskies off road racing presence. They are already racing in GNCC competition and some other areas and have already won world championships in Europe (World Enduro) as well as much success in Super Moto competition here and abroad. The plan, as I understood it, was Husky would lead the way in off road racing. As we all know, David Knight pretty much sealed BMW's fate for their own G450 race bike ... an utter failure.

Cruisers and BMW:
    BMW were already badly burned trying to build a cruiser ... remember the White Elephant? :lol3
    A horrible embarrassment for them and one I doubt they want to repeat.
    Husqvarna seem the most unlikely ... and unholy host for a cruiser. :D
    But "One never know, do one" ... after all, look at the Ducati Diavel.
    A power cruiser that you can actually ride! Who knew?

One thing is sure ... the F800GS has been a phenomenal success for BMW ... despite the problems, no doubt they are married to this bike for quite some time. An upgrade is sure to come ... and you know they'll have Triumph in their sights.
  20. woodys3b

woodys3b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could someone please direct me to the Tiger 800 thread? I seem to have lost it...............