Best way for Perth-Asia

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by sushi2831, Aug 28, 2012.

1. sushi2831

sushi2831 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello

I am looking to transport my bike from Perth (yes, it has to be Perth) to Asia.
    The bike has swiss registration and is under the carnet de passage.
    What is the best place in asia to ship to, regarding the least hassle by custom, local brocker etc. (3 days in ecuadore was o.k. but please not more)
    I am thinking of Bangkok,Kuala Lumpur,Jakarta.
    Since I will make a round trip in asia and I will have to ship to India eventually, maybe I could as well store the crate there.
    What I have read so far is that Singapure should be avoided, true?
    Does anyone know a good agent/brocker in Perth ?
    Air/Sea/Ro-Ro?

thanks sushi
  2. frian03

frian03 Halfway down Africa

Oddometer:
    No 'answers' from me, I'm sorry. A couple of mates and I are heading Perth to Paris next March, having already visited 60 countries on previous trips.

Simply getting the bikes to Indonesia or Asia has proven to be the biggest headache. Singapore is a tyohoon of red tape, and just too hard. The level of ambiguity is incredible via Jakarta, and we just cant seem to get a straight answer out of anyone Best bet so far seems to be airfreight Perth to KL via Air Asia Freight. They only accept orders through a partner company, however at least seem willing to help. The bikes need to be classified as dangerous goods, which makes it both tricky and expensive.

PM me if you want to arrange a coffee and a chat to pool information.

Regards, Tony.
  3. andyhol

andyhol volcano rider

Oddometer:
    I had a fellow english couple stop with me for a few days in Jogjakarta (central java, Indonesia).
    They had shipped there bike from Darwin to East Timor and then gone through to Timor Leste over the land border.
    From what I remember its was a realatively straight forward and easy process.
    You now get a 30 day visa on arrival in Indo which you can extend at any imigration office for another 30 days. When your time is up on the visa get a cheap trip in and out of the country to re-new.
    You could also get a 60 day social visa (which can be extended 4 times, a month each time, so 6 months total) easily through an agent in singapore but that requires a sponsor so is a little complicated.

Here is the link to Keith and Ellen's blog page covering the border crossing into Indo...
    http://keithoops4.blogspot.com/2011_09_11_archive.html

If you do come through theres a room and a beer at my place :freaky

Cheers, Andy
  4. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd advice to get in contact with a shipping agent. It should not be too complicated to send bikes to Asia (I mean any more complicated than shipping them somewhere else!) Google " tradelanes melbourne" to get you started. I used them to ship by sea from Sydney to Helsinki 4,5 years ago, can recommend them. But get quotes from others as well.

By air to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur, or by sea to Port Klang (near KL), those are the airports/seaports, where I'd ship to in that region. Heard lotsa bad stories about shipping to Indonesia, I'd probably avoid that..

BUT I would NOT skip Indonesia altogether, as it's in one word fantastic (ship Darwin to Dili, then ride all the way through to Sumatra.. you will need the carnet for Indo, though). For me, it's among the most interesting countries in the whole region.

Singapore, I don't think it's really a nightmare like shipping to Indonesia might be, its just a little extra paperwork, and they make you get mandatory insurance etc, and theres probably a minimum period, so it feels stupid to pay, if you'll only ride outta there once, like 50 kms in Singapore.

(Used bikes will be sent as Dangerous Goods, that's standard procedure. For airfreight, you need an agent, who is certified to issue this document for you).
  5. Willwilkins

Willwilkins Dr. Topbox

Oddometer:
    Hi mate

I take it you don't want to ride up from Perth to Darwin and ship from there? Doing that would be very easy with Perkins shipping. We didn't crate our bikes when we went with them and had no issues. They ship weekly to Indo or Singapore.
    We skipped Indo and went straight into Sing. Once there, the bikes can not be ridden or wheeled in the port so a truck was organised. Then, considering the headaches of riding legally in Singapore, we decided to keep the bikes on the truck and got him to drop us off on the causeway between Sing and Malaysia. All pretty easy, Perkins organised the truck in Singapore all for a few $$hundred.
    If i was looking at shipping or air freight direct from Perth I'd skip Sing completly, the red tape to ride there for a few miles is crazy. Port Klang would be the simplest I guess for a boat, KL for air. If you do go into Indo, have you worked out how you'd get off the islands into Malaysia? There are a few reports of an 'onion boat' on the HUBB, but they always seem to be coming in the other direction. Nathan the Postman did it though so not saying you can't
    Best of luck
  6. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "onion boat" probably refers to Cakra Shipping, that operates small cargo boats between Penang and Belawan. I used them in Feb-2008, was easy, but lately there have been reports, that it only works one way for bikes these days (I'm assuming, but not certain, that it'll be from Indo to Malaysia). Indonesian customs can be a pain. But I guess I was lucky, because back then it took me like 10 minutes to clear my bike after arriving at Belawan.
  7. Sascha

Sascha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^true. Mr. Lim is not taking any bikes from Malaysia to Indo anymore, not allowed to. There is another way though... check the HUBB is wanted... From Belawan to Penang no problem I think...

Do not ship do Jakarta or Dumai if you like your bike. Friends have been busted there... "OK, Mister, give me please 2000USD and I go and get your bikes out of the customs area" A visit to the police in Jakarta and then it was: "OK, Mister give me please 2500USD and I go and get your bikes out of the customs area"...

... after two weeks they paid the "fees"....:huh

the way though Indonesia was great, Est Timor was great too! The crossings no problem, but now its rain time...be prepared, tyres are the biggest problem there, had to fly mine in from Singapoore (a friend was there so no problem).

good luck.
  8. sushi2831

sushi2831 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello
    I shipped with Ivan Smoljko (ivan@bikesabroad.com.au).
    He was the only agent who would help me with the crate.
    Everything was easy done by email, I droped off the bike at a warehouse (www.perthmotorcyclepickup.net.au) in Perth an they
    crated the bike. I only had to remove the mirrors for the crating.
    The crate was a original Harley-Davidson crate with a volume of almost 4 m3.
    Ivan checked with his contacts in Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur about the troubles and I decided to ship to Port Klang,Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

The Procedure in Port Klang to get the Bike:
    Malaysia is very correct and I saw no long waiting between the steps but it still takes time.
    If one knows what to do it's possible in 2 workingdays,
    but since I didn't know all and because to public holidays it took me from Monday 8.00am to Friday 16.30pm....
    This is how it would go:
    1.Day:
    Eary morning go to your shipping company and get the paper(several layers, top is pink) for the bike.
    Go to the Malaysian Automobile Club to get the compulsory Insurance for Malaysia and Singapore.
    You need also the round International Sticker from them, otherwise the custom will not fill out your CDP.
    This will take several hours so by then you can call it a day.
    Address:
    Automobile Association of Malaysia
    225, Block 4, Persiaran Sukan, Laman Seri Business Park, Section 13, 40100 Shah Alam, Selangor Darul Ehsan.
    GPS: N 03.09231 E 101.54397
    2.Day:
    Take the KTM train from Kuala Lumpure to Port Klang, approx. 1 hour 4.40 Ringgit.
    Take a taxi to the Custom House in Northport, 2-3km approx. 5-10 Ringgit.
    GPS Custom House: N 03.01484 E 101.36586
    At the Custom House:
    1. Go up the stairs turn left, go straight to the office at the end of the corridor.
    There they want a fotocopy of:
    -your passport,
    -the original registration,
    -the insurance for Malaysia
    And then they fill in the CDP only halfway.
    Go to Northport, there is a small footpath between the Custom House an the Powerplant
    which leads right to the entrance of the Northport.
    There you get a visitor pass.
    2.Go to the warehouse at Northport of your shipping company to pay the fees and prepare the inspection.
    3.Go with the CDP to Northport to the Customoffice, located in warehouse B2, for an inspection of the Bike.
    The Customofficer then signs on the back of the import part of the CDP.
    4. Go back to the Custom House to clear the CDP.
    5. After the CDP you need the clearence of the bike on the pink paper, as well at the Custom House opposite the CDP office.
    6.Go back to warehouse B2 the office opposite the customoffice where you did the inspection.
    They sign the pink paper and keep it.
    7. Go to the warehouse to pick up your bike. They have to sign as well, now on the last page.
    8. Drive to the entrance of Northport and get the last singnature at the gate.
    9. Your free to go.
    Sounds easy, doesn't it?
    Total cost:
    Export Clearance Perth aud$ 200.--
    Crating and delivery to the port in Perth aud$ 440.--
    Ocean freight Fremantle-Port Klang aud$ 333.--
    Terminal handling Kuala Lumpure aud$ 213.35
    Import service fee Kuala Lumpure aud$ 55.--
    Northport fee Ringgit 214.--
    Insurance and Sticker Ringgit 255.--
    Total around aud$ 1400.--
    Well the seafreight itself is cheap but the handling and crating is tree times more.
    At the end the costs were similar to my previous Ro-Ro shippings Lörrach-Hamburg-Halifax and Veracruz-Guayaquil.
    Darwin-Dili East Timor might by the better way but Darwin is in the middle of all the good places in Australia,
    so eather you have to skip some of them or drive the boring Stuart Hwy back to Darwin.
    sushi
  9. sinned

sinned Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second the recommendation about using Ivan at Bikes Abroad, they have a self explanatory website. Bunch of motorcycle enthusiasts who started freighting their own bikes and have turned it into a business. Great bunch of guys very helpful and being motorcyclists helps a great deal. OP let us know how you get on.

MeRrY XmAs one and all

:freaky
  10. StartAdventures

StartAdventures riders on the storm

Oddometer:
    Phoenix, Usa. Milan, Italy . Kazan, Russia.
    If u are shipping with Maskargo (is malaysia airway for cargo) you dont need a create :deal .

I ship from KL- to perth 1 week ago, i will post in HUBB the all details
  11. StartAdventures

StartAdventures riders on the storm

Oddometer:
    Phoenix, Usa. Milan, Italy . Kazan, Russia.
    and i spend 1000 usd for the shipping, no cost for custum or other stuff in malaysia

here in perth i spend more then 250 aud for get my bike