my st919 project

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cb919er, Apr 25, 2014.

1. cb919er

cb919er Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've decided to turn the ol' 919 into more of a sport tourer than a sportbike.
    Step one... I changed the gearing (+1 in the front, -1 in the back) to lower the RPM per forward speed. (improved my fuel mileage and made my speedometer more accurate)
    I couldn't be happier, on my last backroad day trip. I was averaging around 51mpg...
    Step two... Power for my GPS, I found this little plug that attached to my battery tender that gave me a little "Cigarette style" plug under my seat letting me power my GPS, which I have mounted to my handlebars with a ram mount...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Step three... luggage, i started out with just the rack from Givi and a topcase from JC Whitney. The tacky orange plastic around the back was quickly removed and painted black... Some people say topcases are ugly. And well, they are, but there's no denying they are extremely useful for everyday use...
    [​IMG]
    I got with a local shop called Dualsport Touring, and they hooked me up with the side racks and cases from Givi to go with the topcase rack...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the last few items to complete will be a Center stand, and a new seat...
    I think this really goes to show the versatility of the honda 919/Hornet platform. Track days or long distance touring... She a lady in the street but a freak in the bed!!!
    and they don't help with touring, but I mounted Yamaha Turnsignals to the bike... Love the look, I think they work with the shape of the tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. bogey78

bogey78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outstanding. I really like the look of the sidebags.:clap
  3. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    I didn't think I'd like the 919 with luggage on it but dang, that really works. Keep this thread updated, really interested to see how it turns out.
  4. Akronorka

Akronorka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been debating this get up for mine...it really is the most versatile bike I've owned. Right now I'm just using a HUGE tank bag. Love the ride naked sticker on the swing arm, and lack of goofy windscreen! Have you tried riding two up with the side cases yet?
  5. Akronorka

Akronorka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also is that the medium or large jc Whitney?
  6. cb919er

cb919er Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a small fly screen, but hated it. It was only good for tucking behind in the winter. I have since removed it, and it hasn't been on the bike in years...

I've carried people 2 up, it's not goldwing comfy, I carried a passenger on an all day mountain ride, and as long as we stopped every hour or so she was fine. Does kinda put them in a upright seating. The pad isn't very cushiony, I'll probably make a better one soon.

That is the large.
  7. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
  8. cb919er

cb919er Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good job so far, check out the 'seat concepts' thread, from what I've read they're an affordable path to a comfy seat, not ugly, but comfy.

Givi may have a screen you can use, mine is a 720 or 770 from them. I don't have pix on of it yet, but the guy I bought it from did. It's an 06 Breva 1100, his screen name is rdbandkab, was for sale on here back in Jan/Feb of this year.
    It's kind of a cross between a small batwing and sportbike fairing. Looks sharp on mine.

I never had a bike with bags before this, I don't think I'll ever have one without now, SO convenient. Good luck finishing her up! Stay safe.
  10. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    I've got the SWMotec with Givi monokey bags on my 919,
    I also added a throttle lock and I run a fly screen.

But I can fathom 50mpg, I'm lucky to get high 30s on my mostly freeway commute or open road touring.

For speeds up to about 75mph the 919 is perfect for curvey road touring. Well, with an airhawk seat cover or a new seat.
    [​IMG]
  11. cb919er

cb919er Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Granted it only took 4 years, but I finally got a centerstand set up, and added a throttle lock. I've actually had the centerstand itself for about 2 1/2 years and just now got it installed. The stand was a gift from a friend for watching his dogs for a little over a week while he was away at a USMC event. He found it on ebay for about $60. When I got it I found out why it was so cheap. Most of the parts to mount the stand were missing. I finally got around to fabricating what I could find/adapt.

Used a 5/8'' bolt, lock washer, and lock nut to hold the stand on, had to heat and stretch a screen door spring, and turned a barn door hinge into the stop bracket under the bike.

Throttle Lock
    [​IMG]

Spring and Bolt
    [​IMG]

Stopper bracket (I don't know what this is called)
    [​IMG]
  12. Dave W.

Dave W. Yea Sportball!

Oddometer:
    07 Honda 919 Liberty Bell to the Alamo without using an interstate unless absolutely necessary.

[​IMG]
  13. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great look there OP. Some nice bikes on this thread.

Got mine in the fall after the big ride of the year last summer so no big tours yet. This year will be Rockies to Canyons to Death Valley (or the Sierra's if too hot). I do a lot of sport riding, so am trying to hold off on side cases.

This pic from a weekend trip last fall. All the camping gear in the wolfman, everything else in the top case. We will see how it goes for storage on the trip this year. I imagine the wolfman will have to hold more than just camping gear for a two week trip. Certainly a lot less space than the old connie with top case! Hoping for no rain.

[​IMG]
  14. Akronorka

Akronorka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I approve!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    FYI, the 919's odometer is basically spot on correct in stock form so modifying the gearing to correct the speed will actually throw the mileage count off. If I remember right, my bike registered speed 8% high and distance less than 1%.
  16. cb919er

cb919er Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of great looking bike in this thread. I'm excited to see so many people sport-touring a 919...

The odometer has only had a small impact oddly enough. 100 miles on the odo is actually 101.8 per my GPS. And, I have no intentions of ever selling the bike so I'm not worried about what the mileage actually reads.
  17. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer: