Moto Guzzi Monza.....

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Voltaire, Feb 6, 2013.

1. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess that the V65 fork legs are larger than the monzas which is a good thing-without a fork brace the smaller ones were very flexy ! The taper bearing conversion is also a very good idea...
  2. Highside>Lowside

Highside>Lowside Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer:
    Great to see a Monza here!

I'll have to get pix of my wife's up here. :deal
  3. mtiberio

mtiberio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good on ya. The monza is my favorite small block. If the Lario was the mini-Lemans IV (which I do not like the styling of), then the Monza was the mini-Lemans III, which I do. Bellisima...
  4. Old Mule

Old Mule Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overland Missouri, home of 1950s sidecar tech.
    It looks like it was in salt water, a flood? shipping mishap? Good for you for rescueing the poor dear.
    I am sure you have figured out the nicest thing about small Guzzis, the high torque peak. You can run them all day at 90. They are so much better to ride long distances than an R65 that there is no comparison.
    I wish I had one now, a fine bike with style and character.
  5. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    It lived on an island for years. I have only ridden it up and down the road a bit, but if its better than the R65 that's a bonus as that was my last commuter bike. I gather the Heron heads are where the torque comes from....good enough for Mr Lindbergh good enough for me.:D
  6. Old Mule

Old Mule Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overland Missouri, home of 1950s sidecar tech.
    And the best brakes by far of any bike of the era. I reckon the relatively small valves and consequent high intake charge speed have something to do with their performance, but I think it is cam design.
    The torque peak of my old 1000cc T3 was at 3800 rpm, and that of a same year 1000 BMW was 2200. So the Guzzi is more comfortable and much more economic at high speed...and more responsive too, you can accelerate from 75 or 80 without a bunch of down shifting.
    Now I am envious and wish I had a Monza.
  7. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    Well....the Monzas spaghetti 32mm forks were pitted and the cartridge stuffed, as were the bicycle cup and cone steering bearings that are bike specific and expensive.
    It nearly became a blanky bike ( pushed into the corner ).
    Unfortunately its hard to move bikes with no front suspension so on the lift it stayed....and stayed.....
    My Engineer made me a few bits and I found some bits on Ebay as the local Guzzi guy has bugger all V50 stuff.
    Picked up a set of 35mm forks that by good luck came with the triple clamp with longer pin.
    Engineer made me a cup/cone/Taper conversion, using some drawings off the net done by an Aussie bloke.
    [​IMG]
    Now the forks are 20mm wider spacing than before....so the discs need to be spaced out.
    [​IMG]
    Of course the axle was longer.....Ebay again......even found some Konis for it.
    Engineer knocked me up a new spacer for the axle....
    [​IMG]
    Bunged in the battery, hooked up the wiring and it started. Checked all the bits I had changed and took it for a spin.
    [​IMG]
    I did not have any 35mm clip ons and scope creep had set in.....ah made up some spacers and the top clamp had handlebar fittings so used a set of bars I had lying around.
    [​IMG]
    Test ride was ok, it seems to have intermittent ignition issues, I think the 30 year old ND coils need replacing.
    Engine is mechanically quiet, the gearbox shifts nicely and the front end is nice and firm, the rears are still the originals that I took apart cleaned and refilled with 10wt fork oil.
    Next job is fit the fairing and get all the lights working, then its new tyres and off to get tested.
    Once I get that, probably take the final drive apart and see if it needs the bolt upgrade.