My review of Ural Motorcycles (2012)

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by bokad, May 28, 2012.

1. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

It's hard to drag a bm' ground anchor through sand ... it takes time :deal :lol3

How long did you have to wait ... until their Starbucks were cool enough to drink ?

Any more pic's of that Retro on the far left of pic' ?

2. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, but anyone that says that the Ural Retro won't go off pavement in the FL sand is full of it.
  3. SEMPERFISILVER

SEMPERFISILVER n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, that's my Retro! Here's another shot of it! hey Barnone - I got the sidecar wheel to stay down for this section!! The Retro ran like a champ, kept up with Gear-Ups, Patrols and the DS's. :rayof Semper Fi! Doug

Attached Files:

4. Bar None

Oddometer:
    Yep, that SEMPERFISILVER was always showing off on his Retro flying the car. As first I though he was muy loco but he handled it just fine.
  5. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

he IS muy loco
    and a good time was had by all!
  6. SAM7

SAM7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, Gearups and Patrols have considerabily more off-road potential then Retros but calling Retros a "no off-roader" doesn't make sense at all... Russians used M72's in WW2 and current Retro M70's are heavily based on M72's. Russians wouldn't have used them in the war if they had no off-roading potential. Secondly, look at the BMW R75 and M70, they bears a striking resemblance... If I ever buy an Ural, it would definately be the Retro. I'm not a big fan of Gear Up's and Patrol's "Scrambler-ish" looks and besides I've absolutely ZERO trails and dirt/gravel roads in my area!!!
  7. Mash3d

Mash3d Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this is an ancient and dead thread but just in case anyone else runs into the problem of a Ural Sputtering in the rain.
    I don't think the carbs were the problem. The problem comes from water getting into to the Air filter and fouling up the plugs. I used to have the same problem.
    This problem happens a lot with the flat top style air filter case. Usually the riders legs help protect the air filter when riding. It's when your off the bike and rain gets into the air filter case and pools at the bottom of the case.
    Then you start the bike up, water gets sucked into the chamber and them you have fouled plugs.
    Two solutions,
    1. cover the air filter when not riding the bike and it's sitting in the rain.
    Looks weird but a plastic shower cap works, or a piece of cardboard.
    2. Drill holes in the bottom of the air filter to let the water out.

Once I started covering the air filter when not riding in the rain the sputtering problem stopped.

I won't ask how he manged to get his ural to set on fire.
    I've been trying to set mine on fire for years with no luck :)
  8. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start camp fire. Roll Ural onto fire.

But, you can just replace a few melted bits and it will be running again shortly.
  9. Montague

Montague UDF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    an alternate universe, much better than yours
    "I won't ask how he manged to get his ural to set on fire.
    I've been trying to set mine on fire for years with no luck :)"

Insurance adjuster might have some questions too.:clap
  10. epix1718

epix1718 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know whats wrong with me..... but I just bought my 2nd Ural :stupid

Scored a pretty decent deal on a 2011 Gear Up to replace my 1997 Sportsman. Sportsman runs fine but figured I'd enjoy some of the modern features (such as being able to run a heated jacket/gloves!) Finding parts to fix the Sportsman was a bit tough on my patience as even minor parts most Ural dealerships no longer carry 650cc parts so always had to order thru Europe/Russia.

Thus the Sportsman will be up on the for sale block in due time.

She's been a great steed and gets much attention yet excited about "upgrading" to a modern Ural to actually see the refinements first hand.. I've actually never checked out a newer Ural in person before.
  11. Paint shaker

Paint shaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Taught him everything he knows about flyin' :D :freaky
  12. Bar None

Oddometer:
    PS,
    So that is where he got that! Too bad you missed the swampy run.
  13. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    Recently I suffered from dirt mental illness. To combat this illness I had to take my Ural on a dirt curing run.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/rudolf35/13893037695/player/" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" oallowfullscreen="" msallowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="375" width="500"></iframe>
    Start in Arlington, TX

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/rudolf35/13895568223/in/set-72157644075882355/player/" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" oallowfullscreen="" msallowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="500" width="375"></iframe>
    Filling up in Oark, AR

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/rudolf35/13896145523/in/set-72157644075882355/player/" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" oallowfullscreen="" msallowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="375" width="500"></iframe>
    Resting by the water

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/rudolf35/13905077295/in/set-72157644075882355/player/" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" oallowfullscreen="" msallowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="375" width="500"></iframe>
    Curing the dirt illness

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/rudolf35/13905430704/in/set-72157644075882355/player/" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
    Day well spent

:evil
  14. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Repeat the dose as needed.
  15. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My part of the world, hope you enjoyed your stay.
    Jim
  16. USMCG_Spyder

USMCG_Spyder RPOC pilot

Oddometer:
    I dunno ... they make pretty good beer coolers :evil

[​IMG]
  17. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    I just went and picked up pizza and beer on mine. Man did that suck....it was so bad that I may need to do it again shortly to get some frozen yogurt....oh the huge manatee!!!
  18. RadRider

RadRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In my short experience with the Ural I learned a few lessons:

1. Great machine for mechanics or those wishing to become a mechanic

2. It truly lives up to its reputation as a RPOC (as taught to me by the Ural riders)

3. The 2014 is not ready for prime time, I will go back to the sidelines and wait for the beta testing to be completed, if ever

4. If you are into technologically current machines don't buy one. It's more like a vintage bike

5. The Uralistas are a very proud group but sensitive to criticism.
    Alexander B likes this.
  19. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    Do not agree on point #5. I call mine "The Pig" and most Uralistas are like KLR riders with a extra wheel.

:D
  20. RadRider

RadRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't misinterpret my statement. I say it as a compliment, they love their machines with all it's problems and challenges. However, some are not tolerant of criticisms to the marque. I admire their loyalty and have to admit the Ural has a weird attraction.