Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    The new Garmin 24K regional topo maps on DVD are route-able but do not have unlock codes because they are not locked to a gps. You can load them on as many gps units as you want. At least that is how the Southwest regional topo I got last week works...
  2. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That is good to know -- I have a number of gps's and that would be great for me.
  3. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I currently have 24K Mid-Atlantic (DVD) and 100K US Topos. I would like to add either City Navigator or possibly other 24K maps. Is it possible to load CN into the 650T with the other 2 topos in there? Can I load CN or other topos onto a micro-card to be switched out depending on where I'm riding?

Oh and I'm currently "off the map". :lol3 as Captain Barbosa would say
    That's why I have a message that says the maps here are not routeable.:huh
  4. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for posting this. I had the same issue but since I don't use the coordinates that often, I never bothered to figure out why it wasn't working. It seemed like such a simple task that I didn't want to post it up because it made me feel like a tard for not knowing :rofl

After changing formats, it works how it should with the info I'm using (job site locations provided by my work)
  5. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    What I prefer to do is load the CN on the hard drive of the Montana and use the uSD cards (4 or 8GB uSD) for all my topo maps.

This does 2 things:
    1) leaves more free space on the Montana hard drive so it has no problems operating; and
    2) Allows me to switch out and use only the topo maps needed for the area I am in on the uSD cards.

You can use all the maps regardless or where you put them, just be sure to "enable" only the ones you need in the profile you are using. The Montana is a computer....no sense in making it load stuff it does not need to do the task at hand.

Don't overload the Montana hard drive as it does need some space to operate...........and defragmenting it every once and awhile is also a good idea (I use WinContig for defragmenting drives).
  6. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    "hard drive" :huh
  7. DennyIndy

DennyIndy Old F@rt

Oddometer:
    Since it is solid state memory and NOT a spinning platter defragmenting is not needed and actually can do damage if done repeatedly.

:deal

:hide
  8. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:

That is interesting. When I update or switch-out the gmapprom (CN) it always ends up being the only file that gets fragmented. All the other files are OK.

Where did you get your info on not defragmenting SSD drives? I would like to read and understand the differences.

J

Hey, I learned something new today! Thanks!:D

http://helpdeskgeek.com/featured-posts/should-you-defrag-an-ssd/

I have 8 years, 5 months and 2 days left ( March 24, 2021 -theoretically on the SSD according to SSDLife pro/freeware here: http://ssd-life.com/eng/download-ssdlife.html)

Yea........that seems like a reasonable period of time. By then who know what GPS tech will look like?

Cheers,
  9. DennyIndy

DennyIndy Old F@rt

Oddometer:
    There 'ya go! I recently upgraded my laptop with an SSD. I discovered that during my usual obsessive research process. I found several places that told me the same story about fragmentation and solid state memory. Since I am very frugal I hope to use my gps for at least 10 years. Maybe I'll be able to find a good used Montana in about 5 years when my budget allows me to upgrade.
  10. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    We'll all have gone to Garmin Hawaiis by then.
  11. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to figure that out on the side of the road, trying to find emmbeedee by entering his Spot coordinates onto my gps. I got all kinds of weird nonsensical locations I until I realized that the geocaching site coords that my GPS was set for were a different format than the ones the Spot sends out. Meanwhile the black flies were having the time of their lives feasting on my neck. It was an educational day, I never did catch up with him so it was a good thing he had some money for gas since I had his wallet!
  12. jconly

jconly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently on the road, and am running into this problem again.
    Does anyone know why on earth my tracks aren't appearing on the map. Not my current track, but those in the track manager which I've set to "View on Map." This morning it was working fine, but as the day progressed it eventually disappeared at one point. I'm trying to follow these!

Any ideas?
  13. DennyIndy

DennyIndy Old F@rt

Oddometer:

WoW another new model already?

How do you get so much of this inside information?

That might make the Montana value low enough that I can justify the expense.

:clap
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    And don't forget the Garmin Nebraska, Ohio, Texas, Utah, Wyoming...

The insider information comes from voices in my head but I can keep them under control if I take my medication. :lol3
  15. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:

.....and why don't you hear Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec, ...........:rofl
  16. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I have run across the opposite; tracks that I selected in Track Manager to "hide on map" remained on the map view. Going back into Track Manager, they were still showing on the map and I had to select "hide on map" a second time for it to "stick".

This seems to happen to me when I'm managing over a handful of tracks at once; the Montana seems to like me to select to show or hide a single track and then return to map view. Managing multiple tracks before returning to map view has, in my experience, tended to confuse the Montana.
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
  18. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    10 years from now, more likely they will be named Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an, Nanjing etc. :lol3
  20. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just made the City Navigator 2012.4 on my Montana visible under Basecamp and noticed something I was not expecting. When I view the map off the Montana I get shading showing up. If I view the same version from the copy loaded on my computer (Mac or Windows) there is no shading.

See examples below....

The computer version
    [​IMG]

The Montana version
    [​IMG]

Yes I know the zoom level is different, I just zoomed out more in the 2nd image so you could see the shading of the mountain ranges better. It does go away if I zoom in to 30ft but comes back at 50ft or greater.

All views were in 2D view and Basecamp is up to date on both my Mac and Win-7 PC.

I do not have any Topo maps installed on the Montana or computer.

So what is going on here?

I looked in the Basecamp settings and I did not see anything that was set different between the two maps.

Jon...