Radio control nuts

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RC Pilot, Apr 15, 2009.

1. RustyPhoenixMotors

RustyPhoenixMotors Oops...

Oddometer:
    10, gusting 40? It was 40, gusting 60 here yesterday... :norton
  2. beyondhelp

beyondhelp likes cheese too.

Oddometer:
    Cause now I'm going to get myself in trouble.. Ordered a cheap quadcopter today. I bought the same one a friend has so we can share our experiences. I've been trying not to to think about FPV and aerial photography but I can't resist.Then I saw this video which pushed me over the edge. Future plans may involve building a diy fpv rig. I like the design over at oddcopter but I am still learning. I bought the cheap one to learn on in the meantime. I thought I was done with r/c after I sold my nitro truck and accessories. NOPE!

Check out this video. I'm an airboat fanatic too, the dual sport of the swamp.

http://youtu.be/LSaUEsUcReI

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LSaUEsUcReI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LSaUEsUcReI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  3. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:

This was a pretty informative shootout from the sometimes biased Big Squid group. ( I Don't like how they do car reviews) http://www.bigsquidrc.com/2-4-ghz-radio-transmitter-shootout-2/

Had some good data in that.

However I would look at a few other options besides the Futaba, which is a very very good radio. A $50 Flysky surface radio would serve you just as well I would think. Either that or pick up a Traxxas TQi off of ebay for about $40. Mine has been very reliable/durable.

The only thing is it takes a little bit of practice with the two button menu system on the traxxas to get to the setting you want.
  4. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
  5. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    FS
    Honey Bee King 2 & Spektrum DX 7

Link

In Flea Market
  6. a65l

a65l Safeguarding our Precious Bodily Fluids. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Flew the beast Sunday... Built from Meister plans (not by me), 100" wingspan, ZDZ 80 for plenty of power. 40 lbs on the ramp.... but it flies like a Meister. I'm the weak link....

[​IMG]
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    :bow

got any in-flight pics?
  8. a65l

Oddometer:
    No, for some reason or other, everybody runs for the clubhouse when I take the runway.....
  9. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

:lol3
  10. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that link
    Wife suprised me the other night asking if there would be two radios so we could race each other :eek1 - she wasn't interested in that in the past so probably two basic radios comeing up...

thanks
    Hay Ewe
  11. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I'm seriously thinking of rekindeling my RC sailplane lust, thinking of something I can highstart and thermal or take to a slope and ridge soar. Needs to be stable as it's been a while, an ARF or RTF would suit me fine... any suggestions?

Wondering if I should be entertaining something that could take a electric motor.

On the same topic I am going to Seattle this weekend, and good shops I should visit to fill this niche?
  12. Saget

Saget Not quite a full house

Oddometer:
    Hobbytown USA in Tukwila, near the Southcenter mall. Better but a little further south, Remote Control Hobbies in Covington.
  13. SwissFreek

SwissFreek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 for RCH. There's one about a mile from me in Lacey. Good people.
  14. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I saw this earlier and thought cool, then I looked at it again - 100" wing span! then I got my tape measure out - thats HUGE!
  15. a65l

Oddometer:
    It's not alone either... our club has always been a "warbirdy" kind of club, but lately they've just been getting bigger and bigger. In the background is another club memeber's American Eagle 109, it's the same size as mine, and a bit lighter (f/g fuse and foam core wings will do that). Should have another Meister 109 flying at the field in a couple of weeks, hopefully before Delaware, with yet another one on the building board right behind it... Not going to be a safe field for P-51's or Spitties.....

[​IMG]
  16. a65l

Oddometer:
    And in case you were wondering how you learn to fly a big 'ole warbird... you get a big 'ole trainer... in this case, a big stik... that's a DA 100 on the front for some perspective, it's a little heavy for a stick but it flies great.

[​IMG]
  17. a65l

Oddometer:
    If you're willing to give up on the highstart, the Radian Pro might fit your bill...

18. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    Very nice aircraft a65l! I wish I had a good club around me. Actually, there's one near me that I'm going to check out this weekend.. It's their opening weekend.

I'd like to see some video of that big bird being put through it's paces!!

Nice day out today - going to be mid 60's and sunny.. I have my UMX GeeBee, UMX Sbach, MCPX BL, and my Hoverthings Quad ready to go.. Should be a fun lunch break! :)
  19. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    My latest toy arrived!

[​IMG]

Got it second hand (looks new!) with 30 batteries. Charging a handful of them now so I can land on my ceiling. haha
  20. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    Let me know how you like it. Mind telling where you found it and how much?