Schuberth C3 Helmet Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Traveling Man, Mar 10, 2011.

1. highermath

highermath code wrangler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes and yes.

It is a much different fit than the older Schuberths.

2. Sanders

Sanders Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer:
    Confluence of the Mississippi and the St. Croix
    I really want one of these. Expense is keeping me at bay (for the moment), plus I have always ridden with the shield up 25+ years or more, so I don't know if I really need Uber-Quiet (be nice to have) Whats really holding me back is my oval, lumpy, first through the chute deformed head. The only helmet I ever loved is the Arai Signet in XL 11 years and still looking and feeling good. Starting to wear out the liner in spots.
    I'll probably go test ride a Schuberth as soon as the weather improves here.
    I ought to sell my Black Diamond Vista 3 to defray costs, hmmmm. Sometimes typing instead of just reading, makes things go "CLICK"
  3. BasicPeter

BasicPeter n00b

Oddometer:
    Make it a reflex action to secure your helmet. I use a plastic-coated wire spiral with two loops and a small combination padlock which live on the handlebar, but I usually put the helmet on the seat and attach it to the bike. Several times I have seen people trying to take it, and quickly putting it back, and looking around. Anything that deters the opertunist thief is good enough.
    I am in the market for a new helmet, so I was very happy to find your post, and all the follow ups. I previously used a Schuberth Concept, and have little to complain about, so I am shopping around before the snow melts.
    Riding above 50 km with the chinpiece up is not a good idea, learn how to close with your left hand, and I often ride in urban areas with the visor one click open for ventilation.
    Safe travels
    Peter, in Oslo
  4. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    I have the scorpion modular i didnt realize how big it looked on my head until i saw my son with it on. One of my concerns with an upgrade is the lovation of the sun visor control.

I just bought a newcardo g4 and I'm concerned that the mounting location would interfere with the visor. Any insight to offer?
  5. Traveling Man

Traveling Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The sun visor sliding control is in the way. I doubt that you could mount the Scala because of that and it would be difficult to get the mike up inside to your mouth. The C3 seals off the area below your chin which is what makes it quiet. You would have no place to put the boom mic.
  6. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Bummer. That is probably the deathnell for this dream.
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have the C3 with a Cardo Q2, which was available with an extra long mic boom, so it works fine with the sun visor control.

Maybe the Cardo G4 will be available with a longer mic boom. :dunno
  8. Traveling Man

Traveling Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That must be a very long boom mike. Do you have any difficulty getting it inside the helmet? I thought the soft piece below the chin would get in the way.
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    No difficulty at all.. The long boom allows me to place the Cardo unit well clear of the sun shade control.
  10. Eastview

Eastview Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have mounted mine, actually Peter in the parts dept at South Sound BMW did it for me (thks Peter) and it works OK. I think he use one of the adhesive pads and it took a few tries to get it just right but he made it work. It takes some time to get the mike where it fits but I have it down now. The slide for the visor is a pain to opperate thats for sure but it can be done. I'm sure I will upgrade soon but $400 x 2 seems steep, come on Schuberth drop that down a hundy will ya????
  11. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    I too have mounted Scala Q3 my my Schuberth C3 and it worked fine until double stick tape started peeling off. Now that I got Schuberth SRC system installed I do not have to worry about it, but it burned a $$ hole in my pocket.

If you search for Shuberth C3 Scala you will find a thread where I posted a pictures of install.

D.
  12. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    So, after drooling over these C3's I had to have one. Problem is I don't have a $700 head, I have a $583 head, so I bought a black large one from Germany online last night (Biker-Land.de no affiliation- their customer service is outstanding) and it will be here in a few days. It is not DOT stickered, but neither is my head. Thanks to all you FF's for giving me helmet fever :eek1
  13. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    From what I understand the difference between DOT and ECE (or w/e the Euro standard is too lazy to go read my helmet) is puncture protection. So while the DOT helm will do ECE + an icepick or that blade edge of the street sign, the Euro helmet will not (dealer claimed that ECE was moving to DOT for puncture so in the future itll be a common standard).

OTOH, watch out for the pinlock system. So far Ive been unable to get it to not leak and fog up.
  14. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    I learned about this the hard way. It worked wonderfully until one day I decided to wash my visor under warm running water in a sink. I think I bent the visor too much, the seal broke and water got inside.

I removed the pinlock, dried everything and put it back together. It was never the same again, the seal would break in either one corner or another. I ended up buying another visor with the new pinlock installed and now I just switch between pinlock equipped one on cold days and non pinlock for normal weather. Luckly the shield removal takes one second so I can live with this.

D.

15. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Is there any reason not to just leave the pinlock installed all the time to avoid messing with the seal?
  16. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did not know people take theirs on and off......I have not taken mine off yet...:ear
  17. jodyz121

jodyz121 Mostly Harmless . . .

Oddometer:
    Haven't remove mine in well over a year. No problems.
  18. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    This is exactly my point. Leave the pinlock in and have no issues. The second it comes out for some reason the problems begin.

D.

19. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Ok, 6 days after ordering a new C3 from biker-land.de it arrived this morning. It is beautiful and the Large (58-59 cm) fits my Arai noggin perfectly. I love the fit, the sunshade is awesome, and it comes with a nice user manual and an exceptionally nice padded helmet bag. Quality fit and finish! You guys owe me $583 for creating gear-fever. This thing cost me more than my first bike, Honda CB350!
  20. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Out of the box the pinlock fogged. I had assumed it was just seated incorrectly and that reseating it would resolved the issue (which worked for pinlocks on my Shoei). Sadly that was a no go and Im not thrilled with the idea of coughing up the dough for a new shield.