The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. bhd1223

bhd1223 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya, I wish it was possible to make a TTR street legal here. It would be so much easier to find one. I'd still have to sell the Vulcan first though.
  2. KamperBob

KamperBob Recreation Engineer

Oddometer:
    Hey, Paul. Did you get my PM? Just making sure I try contacting folks when in range of their turf. I'm wintering in NM and AZ desert ... with Half Pint the mighty XT of course. Attaching a recent pic from a BLM camp site in the Chuhuahuan desert that a herd of cattle shared with me. :D

Happy holidays, everyone!

Attached Files:

3. Glacier Pilot

Glacier Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was at work sorting out mail to load on the airplane and low and behold my center stand was in the mail cart.

[​IMG]

So after a short 30 minute flight home, unloading the airplane, taking the mail to the back of the Post Office then walking around to the front and grabbing the box I had it home and installed before dinner. I have to say that it is dang near a work of art and I can tell it will be well worth every penny. Here are a few pics of it installed. The foot peg and break are off because I also just finished installing the kick start a few days before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again to Cigar Mike!
  4. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are the forks the same between the XT and TTR? I would like to increase the dampening on the forks of the family TTR. It bottoms too easily. Thinking about installing stiffer springs. :ear
  5. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    Yes they are identical (other than lower leg finishing)
  6. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not seeing fork springs listed in DK. Anyone have suggestions on where to find stiffer fork springs?
  7. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never mind found them thru Thumpertalk. Any have any exp. with Cannon Race Craft?
  8. wesdawg

wesdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cogent dynamics for the forks, they have springs and emulators and are really great folks to talk too about the xt
  9. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:
    Which brand of front brake pads are you guys using on the 225?

I bought EBC pads and could not get them to fit the caliper.
  11. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
  12. LukeMacPU

LukeMacPU Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the secret to truing a wheel? Watched the guy at the shop working on mine... didn't seem to be all that tough. He admitted it wasn't his forte and it's still not great.

Maybe I'm anal, but seems like I should be able to get it closer. Anything special I need to know? Any reason a small open end wrench won't work instead of a spoke wrench?

Most of my problem seemed to be with the tire. I put on a tire I'd run on another bike for 1500-2000 miles. It was a front tire and had plenty of tread, but the tire itself seems to wobble (side-to-side and in/out) much worse than the rim. The bead appears to be set evenly all the way around on both sides. Shop said I may just need a new tire... I ordered one online, so we'll see.
  13. asrvivor

asrvivor Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer:
    Well, for those that remember, I picked up the XT yesterday from the bike shop that installed the wrong oil filter. They have rebuilt the engine and the bike now is purring like brand new. Very happy with the service, even though it took a month. All in all though they were honest and did what would be expected from a consumer in this case. I am happy with the results and will continue to bring them business as I can. It was truly very nice to have a shop be honest and do what is right. By the way the only items that really needed replacing were the cam assembly. I had a good look at everything below that and all was well IMHO. The cam, shaft and rockers were burnt black though. They are standing behind it for any other problems and I am good with that. Very pleased I didn't have to fight one bit, and they did what I expected.
  14. dav_dman

dav_dman old guy tryin' to stay young on a bike

Oddometer:

jack it up to 65psi for 10sec when you put it on, to properly set the bead. Should roll good after drop it backdown to whatever (i run 20dirt, 30 street).
  15. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    You need to isolate whether the rim is true, and whether the tire is true. The key is to remove the wheel and put it on a truing stand with an indicator gauge. You can spend $$$ on a ready made one, or make one yourself with some plywood, screws, a clamp and a pencil. Check the rim, then check the tire.

Trying to bend the rim to compensate for an unseated tire is a losing proposition.
  16. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Woo-hoo!! Very happy to hear that, good ridin' to ya :D
  17. bhd1223

bhd1223 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any links to such a homemade truing stand? Sounds nifty.
  18. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I just made it up out of stuff I had laying around :D

Plywood base, verticals and cross supports (kind of a T-shape on each side) mounted to the base with a v-notch in the top to hold the axle. No bearing clamps like the cool stuff I've seen but the weight of the wheel holds the axle in friction against the v-notches well enough. I've never had the wheel walk on the axle. I actually have a dial gauge, but you don't really need one, just any stick-like object you can mount to rub against the rim and show you where the wide/flat spots are.

Sorry, no time, but perhaps later I'll put up a photo.
  19. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:

Great news indeed :clap:clap

It's nice to know there are honest shops that correct the mistakes they made!
  20. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Truing stand with indicator gauge, wheel on bike, bike on centerstand or box.
    Use a carpenters crayon to mark the high spots, so you'll know what's moving.

[​IMG]

The disc pads have too much friction, so the wheel needs to be off the bike for balancing.
    Use your axle as the rod, it will roll along the box (or milk crate, etc), so pay attention.

[​IMG]

Buy one of these and you'll be set for life. Well, at least for adjusting spokes. :deal

[​IMG]