Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. BOBaloo22

BOBaloo22 Tony & Catnis

Oddometer:
    Only been riding TAs for two years now. Rode about a hundred miles yesterday, loved every minute.
    Bob
  2. Rokoneer

Rokoneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd always assumed you were a lifer due to the passion you have for the Transalp. Was there another motorcycle prior to the Transalp that you were as meticulous, detailed, and passionate about?

I bought two new leftover Transalps in '91 for $1999 each, so 22 years for me.
  3. dualdogdave

dualdogdave In Pursuit of Excellence in Motorcycling

Oddometer:

I purchased TA #1 new in July 1989

[​IMG]
    New 1989 Honda XLV-600R

Still lots of adventures to come............

[​IMG]
  4. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    Purchased mine in 1996, used with ~6000 miles. 16 years, ~80K miles, 49 states and several provinces later it's still running fine, although showing some usage.

[​IMG]
  5. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:

Bout 18 months ago , :deal

and since have added a 2nd :eek1 :huh

seems like they are like drug or something , addicting :lol3

<EMBED height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/N6uEMOeDZsA?version=3&hl=en_US allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>
  6. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:

I'm beginning to feel like the new kid on the block? I also feel like I have ridden Transalps all my life, no other bike has been so perfectly suited for me or has caught my interest.

My whole career in one way or another has been involved in the restoration process, from vintage steam powered antique cars to period furniture, vintage American guitars and museum quality American fine art so I guess motorcycles were inevitable since I have been riding for 40 years.

When I decided to own a Transalp I found no shortage of well used examples. The first one I owned had 3,220 miles, I thought it was a shame that no one was preserving this historic model and decided this is what I'll do.

If it were not for the wealth of knowledge on this thread I probably would never have started doing it.
  7. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Very cool. If you haven't looked at Dales picture link it's a must.

https://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
  8. Porkchop316

Porkchop316 Patent pending Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have only had my TA for about 3 1/2 years. I'm a dirtbiker and I was riding a pristine Honda Hawk when I discovered Transalps. That's all it took. I sold the Hawk to the brother of the fellow I bought my TA from — in essence, it was an even trade.

FYI, my new CDI modules arrived Saturday. I popped them right in this morning and had a lovely, carefree Sunday ride. Thanks to those of you who offered advice on this.
  9. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    What a neat coincidence...

I just bought a pristine Hawk...

[​IMG]

Third one I've had, gave one to my daughter who is still riding it.. :D

I have had my Transalp for about a year...

[​IMG]
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:

What header pipes are fitted to your Hawk?

Does anyone know if larger and more free flowing header pipes improve the bikes performance compared to the oem headers?

I have an 87 600 Transalp fitted with an Arrow muffler.

Thanks.
  11. kyjenkin

kyjenkin Squatchy

Oddometer:
    It's been a while since I last posted but here are some picture updates of my '89 "EndurAlp." I repainted everything with a textured green paint to give it a rough cast look like armor and then went over it with a couple of coats of OD. I don't remember what pics I last posted so here's a few to let you know where it was a few months ago & where it's at now. Also the link to flikr gallery http://www.flickr.com/photos/68844295@N06/

[​IMG]

I have the premolded kydex panel showing a "before" stage
    [​IMG]

And an "after" stage
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready to go to the trail!

[​IMG]

At the trail. I was approached by three people when I got there who were dual sporters too and were very cool

[​IMG]
  12. ravelv

ravelv from Baltic side of river

Oddometer:
    I have mine now 9 years. Prior TA I rode NX250 (which I still have) some years. Before these two Japanese bikes was also riding soviet made ones, but not much.
    And no thoughts to change TA for anything else, bike does all I want from it. :)

13. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    Thank you again for your kind offer.
    Have you been getting my PMs?
    What I need is the top cross-piece of the triple tree (that has three holes plus I guess two more for the brackets that hold the handlebars) and the middle/bottom piece of the triple tree (the upright pivot tube and the bottom cross-piece that has two holes through which the fork tube slide).

I don't particularly need the brackets that hold the handlebars, but then I don't need you to remove them, either. You can leave them in or take them out, it won't make much difference to me.

I think my bearings, washers, caps, etc. are all OK.

Thanks again

Topher

14. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:

Thanks, since I'm normally traveling solo, taking pics of the TA at a location is how I remember/prove I was there.
  15. ferretface

ferretface Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had mine for a little over 3 years now and have gained a huge wealth of information from this thread.

I'll be taking it over to Canada next month to start a trip through the Americas over 12 months - some think it might be a crazy idea with a 24yr old bike..... :loco

More info on my blog if anyone is interested: http://heyivegotanidea.wordpress.com/

Cheers
    Dan

[​IMG]
  16. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Dan,

When/If you're in the Central California area, my house/garage/tools are open for any service or repair work you want or have to perform.

You are also welcome to ship spares to me it you want to place cache items in a certain location.
  17. Nightrunner

Nightrunner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fan should kick on about the red line point. It could be the temp switch or the relay. Its normal for these to heat up while idling. Temp goes back down as soon as you're moving. Some folks have installed a second fan on the left rad. I've been planning this but have not had time yet.
  18. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info Scott, will get those bits checked out.

Do owners fit lower temperature sensors into their cooling systems like on some other bikes to cause the fan to turn on sooner or just leave it standard?
  19. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Many riders fit a manual fan switch so the fan can be switched on during slow 1st gear trail riding. It will cycle on and off by itself but it's nice not to have the temp get all the way up and then have to work to get it back down.
  20. alainmax

alainmax ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer:
    yes or you add a fan ( space allowing) activated through a manual switch ( which i did on the AT)