Moto Guzzi Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Buckaroo Banzai, Feb 8, 2012.

1. RonS

RonS Out there...

Oddometer:
    "It comes from the gut". "The noise (of modern bikes) is not the right noise". Love it!
  2. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Scoozi, freewaystreak and gusable like this.
  3. Swedener

Swedener Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saw this amazing bike at Anderstorp Raceway today. It is a German crew that competes successfully with this sidecar racing bike. Note the double ignition!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
  5. Buckaroo Banzai

Buckaroo Banzai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, my FI light is coming on my Guzzi (2008 nevada). When the light comes on then it acts as the plugs are fouled. I'm running some injection cleaner and replaced the plugs. It hasn't left me stranded but seems to be getting worse.

So, now I will get to find a day and load it up and drive it two hours to the dealer.

Warranty just ran ok. Even though it was a 2008 it was sold in 2011 I believe giving me a valid warranty till June of 13

I might just see if it needs valves adjusted while I'm there. I will probably have to leave it overnight:cry

Anyone have any ideas on the FI? Is this a common problem with the Guzzi's
  6. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    Wish I was there now. I would have that one home next to the Norge. Sweet looking bike.
  7. MMasz

MMasz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK. I need some input on Moto Guzzis. I’m looking to replace my BMW R1100RS which was stolen a few years ago. There’s a lot out there to choose from these days especially with adventure bikes becoming more popular. I’ve rode 1 liter plus bikes for years and like something that can work for commuting, highway, and maybe some light touring with minimal off-road.

Of the bikes I’ve owned, the R1100 was probably my favorite. It wasn’t the fastest, nor the most comfortable, but because it had character. At 58, i’m no longer doing crazy stuff.

I’ve looked at the Bimmers, Triumphs, as well as the Japanese bikes so far, but started reading about on the M-G bikes. I’m not too familiar with them regarding any quirks or idiosyncrasies (Electrical, clutch, tranny, etc.) and it seems like they have a pretty loyal following.

Mainly, I’m more interested in dependability than performance (which is why I never had any inclination to get a hog). I can do basic maintenance, but with 4 kids under 13 don’t have the time or expertise to do major work. Both the Triumph and M-G dealers are about the same distance away for dealer work if needed (90 miles)

So, any advice (or warnings) from long time M-G owners? They are gorgeous and appear to be solidly built.

Thanks in advance.
  8. Canis Pugnax

Canis Pugnax Unnecessarily Mercenary

Oddometer:
    There is an '07 Griso 1100 for sale a couple of hours away. Would it be worth the drive over for a look?

By way of background,the last couple of years all my riding has been on back roads within an hour or so of home. I sold my Bonneville and GS in '10 and bought a Hypermotard just for that. A couple of months ago the poor condition of these roads taught me that my reflexes aren't what they used to be.:eek1 Maybe something a little less balls-to-the-wall is in order. I've considered the Tiger 800 and I hope Triumph gives me opportunity to consider a Tiger 1050 Sport. Then I ran across the Guzzi. It has 8000 miles on the odo.:ear
  9. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    So I was at the Iowa Guzzi rally this weekend. I was told the name Norge is pronounced, nor' guh, with a hard "g". I was told Norge is Italian for Norway.

Just passing this along with no verification or opinion.
  10. Fred of Four Winds

Fred of Four Winds n00b

Oddometer:
    Mr. B:

Was the Elkader rally a good time this year? How did you go back north, via Hwy 52? Wondering what sort of shape the roads in S/E Minnesota are in... ?
  11. Pokeyjoe

Pokeyjoe Vespa Primavera 150

Oddometer:
    I do believe Norge is Norwegian for Norway.
  12. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:

The rally was a good time. Plenty of nice people and good food. The riding in that area is great too, BTW.
  13. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    You could be right. Bear in mind I had a few beers in me when I got this info. However, whatever language it is, I am pretty sure someone said a Norge is a refrigerator and not a motorcycle.
  14. Pokeyjoe

Pokeyjoe Vespa Primavera 150

Oddometer:
    And apparently, they have good brakes...

[​IMG]
  15. Milar

Milar Life is an adventure.

Oddometer:
    I've owned numerous R100's, 3 R1100's and 5 Guzzi's. If you like the R bikes you'll probably like a Guzzi. As far as reliability, my Guzzi's have been more reliable than my late model BMW's. IMHO BMW built their rep on the old airheads and have gone down hill since.

M
  16. kaput13

kaput13 gasoholic

Oddometer:

Sad but true.
  17. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    better to have a bike people "think" is named after a refrigerator...

[​IMG]

than one that looks like a refrigerator :rofl

[​IMG]
    gusable likes this.
  18. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 1200 Sport was burdened with issues from the get go and with no competent dealers in the area. I traveled from SW FL to Huston TX more the once for repair from MHP, great people and they know Guzzi, but after 2 years and 20k miles and new electrician gremlins showing up, it had to go!

No argument about BMW having issues but at least there are several dealers in my area at can address warranty issues

I like my roasters so the 1200 Sport has been replaced with a R1200R with..
    failing fuel strip issues. With 3 good BMW dealers in a 50 mile radius I can live with the BMW issues.

As always, YMMV.

Regards, Paul
  19. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. RonS

RonS Out there...

Oddometer:
    :lol3

When that BMW first came out I thought it was a Kohler designed bathtub on wheels. Trendy maybe, but why would you want a bathtub with wheels.