The Porsche Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Bongolia, Aug 6, 2009.

1. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Temples of Syrinx (Treasure Valley Idaho)
    Nice, and call me jealous... After my day at the track in the 981-s, my only two "must have" options are the PDK and the Porsche Sport Exhaust. Ya, I know the PSE is a bit pricey, but ohhhhh the sound from those pipes when you push the "loud" button....:D
  2. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've driven the PDK and it is fantastic. I'll even admit that it may be technically superior to a manual..........but I'm a little old fashioned and Porsche still makes one of the slickest manuals there is.....so I'm getting one while I still can. I see them going away on performance cars.
  3. CA_Strom

Oddometer:
    Well played, and I know what you mean. I heard the 2014 Cayman manual trannies are coming with the "auto blipping" downshift feature. I wonder if they extended this to the sibling Boxster yet? I'll have to go read up on Planet9 to see what they say about it.

EDIT: Found my answer on Planet9.. The rev matching is available, but only if you configure it with the sport chrono package...
    "Rev matching with Sport Chrono Package and 6MT (throttle blip). The factory rep said it was new but I had to drive it to believe it. Wow, this is a cool feature! You need to have SC with 6MT and be in sport + mode. The down shifts just sound awesome especially with PSE engaged. It automatically blips the throttle perfectly. You just have to shift quickly to capitalize on it - obviously meant for performance driving which I wasn't at the time."

Here's a link to a thread with all the changes in a 2014 981 vs. the 2013 first year car:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/85970-here-what-new-2014-boxster-s.html
  4. ScottDill

Oddometer:
    Yes, supposedly a 2014 feature of the "Sport Chrono package" it has auto rev matching when in super sport mode. I did order this package along with the PCM infotainment package...that's pretty much it though.

Oh yeah - red paint and beige interior.
  5. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    A bit conflicted on this...

The PDK is superior in performance to the 6MT in every quantitative measure.

The only remaining reason I see to get the 6MT over the PDK is to practice and enjoy the art of perfectly shifting the car yourself. Certainly a very legitimate reason, but doesn't that include mastering rev matching on your own?
  6. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
  7. ScottDill

Oddometer:

I agree actually. My understanding is rev matching is only is only in super sport mode, not in regular or sport though.

I'm sure I'd get used to the PDK, but it feels funny shifting without using a clutch. I'd leave it auto mode most of the time I think.
  8. CA_Strom

Oddometer:
    It took me all of two laps on the road course in a 911 Carrera S to be a believer in the PDK. Even the Porsche driving school instructors said to just leave it in auto and not bother with paddles. The car was always in the right gear, and it downshifted perfectly just when it should. Sport plus mode holds the shifts until redline too. Besides everyday driving, the beauty of the PDK is not having to worry about downshift when you're blasting in to a corner on the track at 100mph+. It allowed me to focus on braking points and made me look like a much better driver!:norton
  9. ScottDill

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, This is the picture from the Porsche configurator.....3 more months :(

[​IMG]
  10. falconati

falconati baller

Oddometer:
    Very jealous. Mine would be aqua blue with tan interior. Or is that...will be...:evil
  11. ScottDill

Oddometer:

I've seen you on planet 9 in the build forum. I was just creeping though, haven't posted....looking forward to your notice of purchase :deal
  12. hwy61

hwy61 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With a '74 911S 2.7...New to me...Hope to get it up and running(on all 6) soon!:D

[​IMG]
  13. falconati

falconati baller

Oddometer:
    I actually JUST joined up because of folks on here mentioning that forum. I really want a Pcar, I just travel for work and don't really have time for a car right now. That's why I'm selling 2 of my 3 bikes - time. Eventually I will have one. My boyfriend likes them too, so no problem getting a seal of approval or anything like that :clap
  14. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    NICE! Can I ask what you paid for it, if a recent purchase? This is very close to what I'm hoping to find when I get serious; one that doesn't break the bank b/c it's in concourse condition already, but is a bit of a driver.
  15. hwy61

hwy61 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My sense of things LTS, is you'll pay at one end or the other. It's very hard to find a great vintage car for small money...This car needs lots, and I mean LOTS of work. If I had to pay someone else to do it I'd have been better off spending more upfront. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a bargain vintage Porsche...:lol3 I'm a sucker for the early Porsches and don't mind bustin' knuckles...:D Good luck with your search! Great deals are out there, but getting few and far between for the old stuff...Any body know of a nice 356 barn find?...:ear:ear:wink:
  16. 1stworks

1stworks dude

Oddometer:
    Bargain Porsche = 914...

Enjoy

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C5fWdhDH3CI" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  17. Keyser Soze 1

Keyser Soze 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Thanks, still wondering what you paid? :hide :D :ear

But seriously, I'm a total gear head, so know exactly what I'd be in for. I cut my teeth on a Mk2 VW GTI 16v, and then turned to rear steer in BMW E30s. I chose the E30 for the price, performance, cheap parts, and availability. At the time it was between the 944, 911, E36 M3, and the E30. Bummer is, those are even starting to dry up based the spec series popularity, and after 4 of them, I'm ready for something a bit different even though a 911 the generation I want probably will not keep up with a well prepped E30 (non M car).

The current project is a European spec '85 Mercedes 300GD that we brought back from our time in Germany (we actually lived in Stuttgart), so I'm a few years out from another toy and space is slim for us as well.

Where I goofed up was not getting one back when I chose the E30 as my machine b/c the market was really low for the 911, but I couldn't pay cash for one at that time and I didn't want a payment for a 20 year old machine at the time. Ah well...
  19. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't believe how complex those things are.
  20. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: