The Mountains of the East

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Riff, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:lol3 Advwolf and I thought you where mad at us for something! .... :cry :freaky I made part of the trip I told you about, but since a day trip took me two days :huh I couldn't go the whole way down your way! Anyway still looking to increase my heard from one to two bikes for two different terrains. A couple of hot leads have come and gone for various reasons. The main reason is that as I told the ...Wolf, I got Champagne taste and Boonesfarm money.
  2. AdvWolf

AdvWolf Wolfhaven Tree Farm

Oddometer:
    I really do know! The rich snob BMW stereotypes really do not fix my profile. In this current economic state I feel the appropriate term for me is Want-a- be! Heading out to get some breaker bars to put some new tires on. Replaces the rear brake yesterday and pulled the rear wheel off to see I could replace the bushing between the hub and sprocket. Who wanted to play how much is that going to cost me at the dealer.:huh
  3. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Lovin IT :lol3 This profiling is coming from a man who proudly rides a new BMW F800! ? :huh :rofl Did you fix the Flat? Hey BTW with my Carpal Tunnel surgery that's keeping me on the injured reserve list for a couple of weeks means I am going to need someone to start up and run my "Panzer" for a couple of trips. Think there might be any volunteers out there? :evil
  4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didja say you need a test pilot?
    Got about 90 miles of Ohio backroads in last night, not bad but not WV.
    Kept looking for curves, there were none.
  5. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:lol3 No Roads Like WV Roads!
    She's Waiting, and you know hillbilly, you don't keep a good looking woman waiting! :evil :lol3
  6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back home for the weekend, whew real internet.
  7. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to see ya my not too old friend. you got some catching up to do? !
    Do you have one of those jobs where they pay such a ridiculous amounts of money that you sacrifice your life? :rofl
    Plans this week end? Wife and Kids I hope!? Will talk with da Wolf and see if we can't help you get a life and a job that can afford you a living! ... Of course I'm a good one to speak ... said "Black Pot" to the "Black Kettle"!

Some people get paid to be good, others like us are good for almost nothing $ ! :lol3

I think I hear the call of the "Duke" !
  8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wife and daughter are at her sister's in WI until Wednesday. Just my son and I here now.
    We did some mountain biking last weekend, and might again tomorrow if the weather is good.
    Right now its been storming for about 30 minutes, storm will probably be visting you in just a couple hours.
  9. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Barley got a whimper from the storm. On the plus side surprisingly humidity dramasticaly decreased, and slight breeze blue up. :knary Did you and the young gun ride today?
  10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got into some other adventure, I sent a link to your phone. :lol3
  11. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:rofl OK What did we learn from that? Trying to see what a bike similar to mine might do? Remember mine about 200 pounds heaver than that one! Research right? It couldn't have been common sense! :lol3 Good Luck with That!
  12. CAMODUDE

CAMODUDE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Riff
    :lol3Cheeseburger and a cherry coke?:lol3

[​IMG]
  13. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    Wow, you are SO lucky!! You have a whole 'nuther LIFE finding multiple x37 fun routes, dirt and tar, 'tween the two! Start w/144/44. but try the PASF rds also. Wow, just wow.!!!!:ricky:ricky
  14. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. CAMODUDE

CAMODUDE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    no pics and yes its for sale, the ankle is getting better. can you ride yet?
  16. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

RE: can I ride ? better judgement says no, only couple weeks since surgery, BUT [and it's a Big one] I'm back in the saddle :clap ! Definitely a good thing. September is on back on track. Hallelujah!

RE: Marshall's another cultural ICON has faded into the obscurity of Coney's history! "RIFF'S PLACE" wha da ya think? Would love to buy and reopen it, but remembering the building it would probably take more than the building is worth to renovate, and reopen it! :lol3 Make it an old 50's style theme restaurant again. Complete with an old "Triumph" sitting out front.

RE: 911 ride came through town this morning. Got a couple of pics and a short video, just got to get them from the camera to computer, and then up on the post.

call or im and we'll try to set something up.
  17. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Tenth Anniversary of September 11th has come and gone, but I have these for the offering! It was an incredible sight visually, audibly, and physiologically to watch the 9/11 ride come through Cumberland! From what I understand there where 2500 riders broken up into groups to better handle the logistics. They came from "Shanksville, PA" headded to the Pentagon, and then on to NY and The WTC Ground Zero sites! "We Will Never Forget" was the thought to be expressed. I had arrived to the cross town bridge at mid morning thinking I probably missed the event, when I saw people lined up along the road. I went up and climbed up on the bridge just in time to hear the sirens from the lead pace Police cars coming down Mechanic street from the Narrows. Here are some of the rides and riders.

[​IMG]

And then they came and just kept coming for over forty five minutes! Bikes of all sizes shapes [riders to] !

[​IMG]

The first bikes that came through where Police bikes from all over the country
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the Common American Patriots, but then there is nothing common about an American Patriot!
    [​IMG]

Even folks on Beemers! Go Figure! :lol3
    [​IMG]

I saw extreme end of the spectrum from this full dresses Gold Wings to Scooters fully loaded!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They just kept coming ... ! :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the link to my "youtube" video of a one minute clip of the riders! [learning to ad a vid clip] hoping this works
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiDkCkW_iZo

We Must Never Forget!
    The lessons of history that we forget will be the ones we will have to repeat!
  18. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    GOOD JOB RIFF! As always, you do good work . thanks for the picture story.
  19. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok so here is my conundrum! In creating this post I may stretch the limits a little here! First of all If the mountains of the east are at sea level then .... ! No rocket science needed here, and secondly It has to be about and include bikes! Now I have rationalized in my mind and heart how much I wanted, and needed Kira to be here with me, but I could not think of anyway I could have gotten her here without riding her [Duh Right?]. You see there is no way I would insult her by loading her into the back of any vehicle to transport her here, and so because of pride I bit my nose to spite my face! :lol3 So here is how I can solve the bike issue here! Nags Head NC used car lot just as you cross the bridge onto the northern side of the island is a Car Lot, and if you look closely on the lower right hand corner of the picture... ! Well let's just Look!

[​IMG]

This is my only motorcycle shot in the hundreds of pictures I took and there where so many bikes all over the island you couldn't shake a stick at them if you had one, or wanted to, or ,,,... ! Any way here is all this went down. This was mine and the wife's vacation paid for by a friend and his wife. And although she was open to the idea we just could not make it happen. Even though for a week I was in paradise there was just something missing for me! Like I said there were bikes everywhere and rightfully so since this is one of the most phenomenal places to ride anywhere. And here I am cruising around in the SUV! :huh :eek1 This is just NOT RIGHT! So I'm not posting a flood of pictures on this one, just a few of the good ones! :wink:

Crossing over on the north entry way! The Wright Memorial Bridge into Kitty Hawk!
    [​IMG]

It's just a hop skip and a jump across the inlet!
    [​IMG]

2:00 am at the moment ... and I'm fading ... more tomorrow!

So here is where we stayed, with this very nice back yard!
    [​IMG]
    No mowing the grass required!

Looking North
    [​IMG]

Looking South
    [​IMG]

Yeah I know a lot of folk prefer Southern Exposure!

[​IMG]

The Locals were really wonderful ... people! ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too animated!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Obviously a Biker type! [One Knife Short of a Mountain Biker!]

and like anyone else they had their favorite hangouts!
    [​IMG]

Like I said earlier the Outer Banks here in NC are a bike riders paradise! We know we can experience so much more on the back of our machines than in anything else! [can't be understood by those who don't ride]. But it is incredible. I won't even begin to scratch the surface of the potential of a ride down the beach can offer. But here are a few of the scenes possible for your enjoyment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just a few of the over 450 pics! I love the twisties, but I would be limiting myself if I ignored all the possibilities the ride provides. [ close in a few moments ]

Finally Back and time to close this one out! Thanks Gadget and Johnny D for allowing me a little leeway here! [Pun Intended]

Seriously the Outer Banks would be a more than memorable run for any one!

Well it was a great week! Too Short! [thinking about moving] and the sun was setting ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Night Is Coming On and the Week is coming to an end!
    [​IMG]

And it became necessary to get back up in them thar mountains to Cumberland!
    [​IMG]
  20. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks Kite! I kept looking for you in the line and no wonder I didn't see ya! I was still looking for the "V-Strom"!