I got spark! Once...

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by WitchKing, Oct 15, 2012.

1. WitchKing

WitchKing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So here's what's up. I've only figured out how to adjust the gap, not the timing. The best I could get with some b12 chemtool was fire about every 5th time. I know timing adjustment is pretty specific to my bike, but does anyone have any pointers?
  2. WitchKing

WitchKing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So here's where I stand now. I have spark, I have gas, but no fire. The tube from the carb to the engine is cracked, but it barely leaks at all. When I twist the throttle, it has a more muffled sound when I kick it than when I kick it with no throttle. I know I don't have the carb adjusted right, but it should at least be firing right? I have no smoke coming out the exhaust.:ear
  3. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    barely is the SAME as if it had a big gaping hole.

intake must not leak, or it will never run properly. if it's a rubber boot (i assume it is). (this is a quick TEMPORARY fix) slather it with some seal-all, or silicone, or liquid electrical tape, or whatever you have until you replace it. either way, you will need to replace it. but stopping the leak will help - this is not a permanent fix- it's a get you home/running till you replace the intake boot.

that's correct - you're letting in a bunch more air when you open the throttle..
  4. WitchKing

WitchKing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the leak could cause the bike to not even fire? It kind of makes sense seeing that the vacuum would be weakened.
  5. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    that is correct. when you kick it, it pulls a mix of fuel and air into the crankcase. with an airleak it will pull all air and very little fuel.