Quadrotors and Multirotors

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by biggziff, Feb 8, 2013.

1. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    I didn't like high mixing (I assume you mean SL) as it tried to return to level too fast. You could drop the PI maybe. Obviously if you had good stick control it may be different for you. I'm ham fisted and tend to bang the sticks around.

Def try 120....super fast everything. I like fast.:clap
  2. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'll try scaling alone and see how it does. I may be able to leave SL mixing at medium if I can get it to flip/roll at a better rate. I like this return-to-level feel as it is. 120 scaling is 30 more or 1/3 more scaling that it is at 90 so that's quite a jump and should work nicely!
  3. biggziff

Oddometer:
    If it helps you're welcome to my experience.

I did bump my expo up a bit also to soften the feel when just flying around normally. I've been running 65%-75% on my 3D foamies with *huge* control throws and like the combo. Thought it would work here also...seems to for me.
  4. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:
    How high does it go?

:hide
    I used to (attempt to) fly helis and would hate when people would ask me that. :lol3
  5. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    I did, in fact, use your expo you mentioned a few posts back...65%. Seems to be a good default point.
  6. MikeinEugene

MikeinEugene Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. biggziff

Oddometer:
    No, but the FAA can suck it.....

I flew mine tonight up high...over fields congested with Deer and Cows. No injuries.

I also used it to blow the leaves off my driveway and get our little dog all worked up as he was playing in a leaf pile my daughter built. Again...no one was harmed.
  8. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    120 scaling, baby! After these vids I charged up my packs and did four consecutive backflips but didn't get it on camera :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EYo8ZvgBSjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  9. biggziff

Oddometer:
    That's more bettah!

Try some blenders at full lock...

Then try some flips and rolls at 6'. I was doing a few tonight...makes my hands shake a bit afterward! :evil

I was watching Matt's videos and he uses the throttle to get momentum going to toss the copter and then catch it at low altitude. I'm not as smooth as him yet, but I'm getting the throttle control down a bit better.

I put a 4000 3S pack on tonight and got over 15 minutes of aero time. Almost too much!

10. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    I think I'm going to try to run some 4S and prop down a bit. 3S with the 980kvs and 10x45s are just a bit too sluggish, I think. Maybe 9x6?

I watched his smaller Y-shaped tricopter and his v-tail videos. Oh, I'm in trouble now :lol3
  11. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Give Matt Hall a call. He's great to talk to and has done it all already. He'll set you straight on what works and what doesn't. I've got a freaking warehouse full of parts now in my basement (motors, ESCs (flashed), props, batteries, chargers, etc) and am trying all kinds of stuff, but so far, Matt's suggestions have been right on the money.
  12. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    He emailed me his phone number. I'll call him when I can. Being at 6000' would mean I should prop up a bit. Hopefully if I go to 4S I can leave the 1045s but we will see. I'll have to throw my watt-meter on it.
  13. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Cool....

I had 12s on mine for the first few flights....was waiting for smaller props and that was all I had on hand. Things got a little warm, but it flew. :)
  14. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    It's snowing today :huh :cry

So, no flying for me this morning. This is what I did instead. I won't leave you guessing. This is a replacement rear arm to make my T-tricopter a T-V-tail :D

I do need one more matching ESC but have the motor, prop, wiring. I think I'll just wire in a Dean's connector so that I can swap between Tri and V-tail.

[​IMG]
  15. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Neat.

What's the draw to the V-Tail? I don't get it.

16. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    My number one reason: I've always wanted to see how one flies. Number two reason: Boredom :lol3

From what I have read, and correct me, anyone, if I am wrong...

*Power of a quad but yaw authority of a tri.
    *No servo to break, less moving parts (except, of course, another motor).
    *More power. I am adding 25% more thrust while adding minimal wood weight. The additional motor weight is there.

I will weigh the tri rear arm and associated parts against the v-tail arm and associated parts to see what I am losing and then gaining.

There is an rcgroups.com thread about pros and cons of different motor configs that I should read up on.

This project will only cost me another ESC and a bit of time. So, why not?
  17. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Don't mistake my question for condemnation. Lord knows I'm the King of hobbies/projects out of boredom. I'm just trying to have someone justify my buying another toy. You seem like a good guy for that.

:evil

What angle did you use? Matt said he had trouble with 45 degrees, but 30 worked well.
  18. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
  19. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    I made some major improvements to my regular beater last night. It started out as:
    [​IMG]

And after several long minutes of construction, I ended up with:
    [​IMG]

Amazingly the exhaust pipes have also made it faster - an unexpected benefit!

[​IMG]
  20. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Good flying! Hard to tell, but I think my Tricopter yaws about the same. Not sure. I think I can get 2 rotations per second. Faster than I can keep up with!