Adventure gear at Walmart?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by fbj913, Apr 4, 2012.

1. MillCreek

MillCreek ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer:
    The one thing I have going for REI is that I have their credit card that accumulates towards my dividend. No annual fee and I pay it off every month. So my typical dividend in a year is a little over $ 100. $ 100 in free money to spend at REI is not too bad. If nothing else, I can get things for my bicycles.
  2. pachap

pachap CANNOT RIDE

Oddometer:
    I've got a sleeping bag, tent, and pad that I bought from Target. The weather usually isn't cold enough to warrant any "real" gear whenever I go camping, so stuff from a big-box store works for me.
    stuarthw likes this.
  3. Flydog

Flydog Flydog

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing. I also cut off the big ugly plastic buckles and used two 'D' rings on each loop and wrapped them around helmet buckle style. Much cleaner.

Also the bi-focal sun glasses in the fishing department are excellent.
  4. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have bought a 2 pack of wide flat bungee cords with a wide flat hook,just like they sell at Aerostirch.....but for a dollar. A 4 back of fabric elastic strech bands with velcro at each end....a dollar. A 4 pack of velcro hook and loop closeures that loop around each other....a buck.

silver emergengy blankets.....a tiny silicone spatula......oh1 THe Best.....a folding tripod stool that people are amazed I bought at the dollar store. It fits right in my topbox,along the very back edge of my 41 litre,even came with a velcro wrap to snug it tight. Takes up no room at all. Superlight as well. It's friggin' brilliant!

I use my velcro/hook and loop straps usually as compression aids but I have also used them for years as a method of attaching my soft luggage to various points on my CBR 600. Non- scratch and adjustable.

Petsmart has a 10 pack of plastic covers for those prong collars for dogs, I use them as spare covers for the end of the bungee cords when they come off, and they always come off. The end covers are way longer and cover more of the pointy end and snick on nice and tight.

Wait, one last one I just remembered, plastic fruit containers, like for your bananas ect. You know, the yellow plastic banana shaped thingy so you don't end up with a black smushy mess. I think they sell those at Aerostitch as well....but not for a dollar......
  5. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    and for the DARKSIDERS...Walmart will mount your rear tire for $7.50.
    glittleman likes this.
  6. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two things I can think of that haven't been mentioned:
    1. The slime air compressor which for my needs has been bombproof.

2. The clear rolldown vacuum bags for my clothes. Really packs them down and they're water proof to boot.
  7. BigT

BigT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my compressor at MalWart for $10. It's not the Slime model, but it works great. My only regret/concern is that in an attempt to save space, I removed the "guts" from the plastic housing, so now the moving parts are exposed. It also gets a little hot and is hard to hold onto.
    stuarthw likes this.
  8. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    I have some aqua socks from Walmart that I use around campsites.

They pack down super small.
  9. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Can you post a link? Searching Walmart for aqua socks brings up nothing.
  10. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
  11. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    I just bought an overstock Kelty Light Year 20 degree down/ripstop sleeping bag from the online "outlet". Using the current 20% off the outlet price and a $29 dividend we had from a pair of boots I bought last year (the only other thing I have bought there in 20 years) and free shipping, it was only $86 delivered. I got it as a replacement for an old synthetic bag I never really liked that we've had a long time. I can live with a deal like that for a good back-up bag or one that FatWife can use when she wants to camp. I very rarely buy anything there, but if you shop the sales and outlet items you can occasionally get some good deals...
  12. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    I picked up a Kelty Zenith tent at Target on clearance for around 40 bucks this winter. After doing a little research online, I found out that the same Kelty tent is sold for 160$ as a Kelty Salida. The only difference is the Salida has lighter weight poles. :)
    glittleman likes this.
  13. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if there is a jetboil-style cup that would work with this? I mean one wrapped in neoprene or whatever that material is you'd see on a jb cup.
  14. Old&Slow

Old&Slow n00b

Oddometer:
    Coleman coated fabric rain gear. About $20 and keeps me dryer than my $100+ motorcylcle rain suit!
  15. AlsoRan

AlsoRan PNF

Oddometer:
    Looks good! Price has gone up a few bucks though. I just bought one because it fits in my pannier with room to spare. Try out next week.
  16. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    Attention cheapskates!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tire pump?
    Preferably:

• small
    • doesn't use CO2 cartridges
    • has a threaded end that connects to the valve stem. I had a Slime pump that had a plastic connector. cheap. I'm looking to replace it.
    • it would be nice if I good inflate to a 90 psi or so, but not necessary. the 90psi is to seat the bead, but I can always limp to a air pump.
    I saw some over at REI, but shopping there is like looking at a Touratech catalogue. I don't want to spend $50 on a bike pump.......
    This one looks good, though.
    http://www.rei.com/product/831626/lezyne-hp-pressure-drive-mini-pump
  17. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have mine mounted on my handlebar:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G8EXH0/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

and I bought these for my street bikes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FICBEU/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

They work great.

and I got this one too, it is very high quality:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NTW7H0/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01
  18. epix1718

epix1718 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our local WM has some really nice waterproof storage cases in the camping aisle, labeled "Aqua Boxes" they had em in qutie a few different sizes. For those of us w/o waterproof bags they would be a good place to keep more sensitive items like electronics/wallets/etc.
  19. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    wife bought a walmart tent 15+/- yrs ago $20+ packed small went all kinds of places till one yr at the ga mt rally it started to leak

picked up a kelty from target hope it holds up half as long

yea baby that's a wallmart chair too

[​IMG]

duffle bag & tank panniers from wallmart

[​IMG]
    LasseA likes this.
  20. Motorrad

Motorrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fits in the top of a zega pannier... where mine is mounted..

not a theaded end though.

the hose (unlike the previously listed one). makes it so you can push it against the ground... and not injure the vavle stem...

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Turbo-Morph-Bike-Gauge/dp/B000FIE4PO